help with laptop requirements

antinnz2003 Guest

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to buy a laptop so that i can install FS2004 to use as a training tool while i'm going for my pilot's license.

Could someone please tell me what i should be looking for as far as specs go. I'm not that up with the technical side of computers, just how to turn them on and run programs. 😞

Also whats a good joystick to use? don't really need anything too fancy.

Thanks
Antinnz

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

antinnz2003 wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to buy a laptop so that i can install FS2004 to use as a training tool while i'm going for my pilot's license.

Could someone please tell me what i should be looking for as far as specs go. I'm not that up with the technical side of computers, just how to turn them on and run programs. 😞

Also whats a good joystick to use? don't really need anything too fancy.

Thanks
Antinnz

I think the general idea is to take note of the Minimum Requirements printed on the retail box of FS and when you buy your computer make sure the specs are well ABOVE those Minimum Requirements.

Joystick: even if you decide on an inexpensive, simple one, if you have a chance to check out the sticks in the shop, pay attention to the FEEL of the stick - in particular the weight.
It gets very annoying when you find your stick is working perfectly in every aspect except you need your other hand to hold it down and prevent it from slipping all over the place Idea

Good luck,
Rick

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

May I add something about the joystick, make sure it twists so you can use it as a rudder.
If you feed "joystick" into our search above you'll find dozens of discussions about all the different types.

If you have more questions about the notebooks specs tell us how much you are willing to spend.

Radar

antinnz2003 Guest

I'm looking to spend about two grand. been looking around and i think i could get a HP with 512mb RAM, 1.73Ghz processor and 40/60Gb HDD.

Would this do the trick? 😎 ❓

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

What kind of video card are they installing, you want the best you can get so the aircraft will not only look better but it will fly "smoother" FPS (Frames Per Second).
If you are buying a new machine to run the sim get at least 1 gig of ram and if you plan on getting the next version of the sim make that 2 gigs.
As for the h/d I would go 60 or more, with today's bloated software you'll fill it up quickly.
A 1.7 gig will do the trick but you will have much better results over 2 gig, if you cut corners now it's not a desktop that can be upgraded easily.
Power is the keyword, this is a very graphic intensive piece of software.

Let us know what you do.

Radar

antinnz2003 Guest

Thanks for all the info! I'll try and get 1Gb of ram if i can afford it 😀

I'll let you know how i get on.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...