Choosing other runway for landing

Guys,
Everytime I fly to Honolulu, I always assign by controller to land at runway 22L or 22R where at those 2 runways have no ILS approach.

How to change to other runways where there is ILS approach? such as runway 4R or 8L

Thanks..

Answers 32 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
deanos63 Trainee

when ATC assign your approach instead of confirming that approach request a different approach from atc, you should then have an option then to select the runway you want.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Guys,
Everytime I fly to Honolulu, I always assign by controller to land at runway 22L or 22R where at those 2 runways have no ILS approach.
How to change to other runways where there is ILS approach? such as runway 4R or 8L
Thanks..

Make the surface wind favor the direction that you want to land, for example wind 040 at 10 knots should get you 4L or 4R. 🙂

when ATC assign your approach instead of confirming that approach request a different approach from atc, you should then have an option then to select the runway you want.

I have tried to change the assigned approach, the ATC assign me to a new approach. But when I tried to choose another runway, it still gave me only 1 option which is still a non ILS runway.

In my case the option is still at runway 22L or 22R. I can not choose runway 4L/4R.

I have tried to change the assigned approach, the ATC assign me to a new approach. But when I tried to choose another runway, it still gave me only 1 option which is still a non ILS runway.

In my case the option is still at runway 22L or 22R. I can not choose runway 4L/4R.

Pro Member First Officer
to_coolguys First Officer

hmm, donno whether your flight plan (VFR or IFR) has anything to do with this..Just a guess that you might have filed a VFR plan...A guess...

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

File an IFR flight plan and you will be offered an IFR approach. If you don't file an IFR flight plan then you won't be given the oppurtunity to carry out precision approaches.

Pro Member First Officer
Pete (pdegraff) First Officer

*Sometimes*, when I'm feeling naughty, I land on the runway *I* want regardless of what ATC tells me. The program doesn't seem to know the difference.

Respectfully, Pete 😉

Pro Member First Officer
to_coolguys First Officer

use FSPASSENGERS and the program will know the difference

Pro Member First Officer

Do I HAVE TO get FSPAX for my Culver cadet?

Geesh!

Umm...

Pete

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

pdegraff wrote:

*Sometimes*, when I'm feeling naughty, I land on the runway *I* want regardless of what ATC tells me. The program doesn't seem to know the difference.

Respectfully, Pete 😉

Don't be surprised when traffic comes directly at you. 😂

Pro Member First Officer

Is that why they call you "Crash"?

🙂)

Pro Member First Officer
Sico2 First Officer

Guys, aren't we forgetting about the little BC button that makes your ILS approach turn around of 180°...? Exactly then when we need it? 😉

I flew an IFR flight.

Does anyone ever fly to Honolulu airport and get assign with an ILS runway instead of non ILS runway like I always asigned with?

How does this BC works? can anyone explain to me?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

How does this BC works? can anyone explain to me?

http://www.stoenworks.com/Tutorials/ILS%20Back-Course%20Approaches.html

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

The link CRJCapt gave is very good for explaining it. Fundamentally, its the same as the ILS (if it has both axes) just with reversed indicators.

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Here is a chart of one, they're not common. Localizer back course approaches are like Localizer approaches, they don't have a Glideslope. 🙂

http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0610/00717LBC17.PDF

CRJCapt, thanks for the very good explanation on BC.

Still, I am wondering how to land with a straight ILS runway 4R at Honolulu airport instead of assigned non ILS runway 22R or 22L.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

CRJCapt, thanks for the very good explanation on BC.

Still, I am wondering how to land with a straight ILS runway 4R at Honolulu airport instead of assigned non ILS runway 22R or 22L.

To get Runway 4R:
1. Change weather to wind 040 at 8 kts.
2. Slew or fly aircraft away from PHNL
3. Contact ATC and you should be given or able to change the runway to 4R.
4. After you land, go to Cheeseburgers in Paradise. The them CRJCapt sent you and you'll get a free drink. 😛

http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ils.htm

I have customized the weather to wind 040 at 8 at Honolulu airport. I have checked the ATIS at Honolulu airport, and wind already indicate 040 at 8. But in the Select Another Runway for Landing, there is still no option to land at runway 4R.

I am only able to change the approach to ILS runway 4R approach but ATC still ask me to circle to land runway 22L.

Do you need to change the surface wind altitute as well to make it works?
Currently the altitute is indicating 3500 feet

Do you need to specify the Weather Station you want to change or you choose All Station?

I am a newbee here. Hope you are not fed up with all my stupid questions.. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

1. Do you need to change the surface wind altitude as well to make it works?
Currently the altitude is indicating 3500 feet

2. Do you need to specify the Weather Station you want to change or you choose All Station?

I am a newbee here. Hope you are not fed up with all my stupid questions.. 🙂

1. Make sure that the wind "box" in the weather selection area goes from the surface to above your altitude.

2. All stations should work.

No such thing as a stupid question.

The FS ATC is somewhat of a mystery for all of us. The actual point that ATC changes the runway assignments is not given in any documentation. You location in relation to the airport may play a part also, try slewing your aircraft southwest of PHNL. 🙂

CRJCapt, Thanks very much for your reply 🙂

When do you have to changed this weather setting? Before departure? OR I can still change the weather setting during my flight (exp. when ATC give me an approach order on my decsent)

I have tried all your instructions, but it is still not working. I was still given an order to approach visual runway 4R circle to land runway 22L. This means that I can not land on runway 4R but it only allows me to to approach from runway 4R.

Does this weather change effect all my ai flight to land at new this assigned runway? Because all my ai flight are also still assigned to depart and land from/at runway 22L. (I am using Ultimate Traffic for my ai flight)

I have tried all your instructions once again, finally Honolulu approach cleared my to land with ILS runway on 4R just in time before it asked me to contact Tower.

But when I contacted Honolulu tower, it has never cleared me for landing. Tower only asked me to enter left traffic runway 22L. What did he mean by that?

I forced the aircraft to land at runway 4R without clearance from tower, I almost crashed my aircraft to an ai aircraft landing from 22L. But because my aicraft touched the grown first, that ai aircraft was told to "go around". Does this is an normal procedure, landing without clearance?

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

Anonymous wrote:

Tower only asked me to enter left traffic runway 22L. What did he mean by that?

He wanted you to fly a left hand traffic pattern, to land on runway 22L.
Had you not landed, and kept 4L to your left, tower would most likely have cleared you for landing when you flew past the base end of 22L....

Interestingly, when I tried setting the weather to clear, winds 40 @ 16 kts, I got cleared to rwy 4R immediately. Do you have addon scenery installed for this airport?

Pro Member First Officer
Steve (SpiderWings) First Officer

Anonymous wrote:

Guys,
Everytime I fly to Honolulu, I always assign by controller to land at runway 22L or 22R where at those 2 runways have no ILS approach...

Yesterday, I found myself assigned to RW22L while completing a flight from Moloka'i in a Baron. Since I've been to Honolulu and knew that the mountains to the NE were significant I was a bit intimidated making the IFS approach. I've not done too many landings with IFS/ILS and so I found this one a bit daunting but turned out quite fun.

I realized that I just needed to have the yellow arrow on the heading indicator pointed toward me instead of away from me after I set the back end of it to 22.

I was expecting ATC to tell me to fly straight in to the RW and was a bit confused as to why they kept me at 3600 feet as I watched the RW getting closer and closer. Then when they told me to enter left traffic for 22L as I was already over the far end I realized that it made much more sense to turn downwind and descend than to just make a dive for the runway after coming over the mountains.

It was a fun and informative experience.

I flew to honolulu airport. I was a bit dissapointed why I was assigned to non ILS runway 22L with option 22R instead of the opposite runway 4R which has an ILS approach. Try to change the wind to 040 at 12 but still I was told to circle to land runway 22L.

I found it a bit hard to land from runway 22L since I have to fly over a mountain, and come down straight to runway 22L.

Anyone has a comment on this?

[/quote]He wanted you to fly a left hand traffic pattern, to land on runway 22L.
Had you not landed, and kept 4L to your left, tower would most likely have cleared you for landing when you flew past the base end of 22L.... quote]

Yes, you are right. As I kept fly left and passed the end of runway 22L, Tower cleared me to land rwy 22L. So I circled back and land at rwy22L.

But what I want is Tower to clear me to land at runway 4R. I have tried to change the surface wind to favor rwy 4R (wind 040 at 16), but still not working.

[/quote]Interestingly, when I tried setting the weather to clear, winds 40 @ 16 kts, I got cleared to rwy 4R immediately. Do you have addon scenery installed for this airport?[

I have no addon scenery. Do I need one to be able to land at rwy 4R?

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

No, my reason for asking was that there is an option to disable runways for either takeoff, landing or both when you are editing airport files.

I have never tried if this actually works, (i.e. if you'd manually "close" a runway, FS9 recognizes this and would stop using it).

However, in a default installation, none of the 4/22 runways at this airport are marked as closed so if you don't have any addon scenery, that can't be the problem.

A bit far fetched, but the thought just crossed my mind when I last posted.

Give up already. Crying or Very sad

Try to change the surface wind to 040 at 16 at all station:
1. Before depart from Narita to Honolulu
2. Before ATC assigned me to approach rwy 22L
3. Before ATC cleared me for landing

Try to change the surface wind altitute from 5000/ 10.000/ 20.000

Try to change approach to ILS rwy 4R/ ILS rwy 8L

Every step I already did. BUT ATC still cleared me to land at rwy 22L.

I have installed FSUIPC in my FS9. Does this have an effect so that ATC can not assigned me to land at ILS runway 4R?

Finally, I managed to land at runway 4R after I changed wind to 040 at 50. Below 50 knot, you always will be assigned to land at runway 22L Honolulu airport. 😀 😛 🙂 😀

I AM VERY VERY VERY HAPPY. Thanks to all that already help me to answer my question 😀

Tips: you have to change the wind before ATC assigned you for an approach at the first time.

At other airports (such as Changi in Singapore), you can always change the runway at wind above 10 knot. At Kingford Smith Sydney, if you want to land at runway 25, you have to change the wind at 250 at 35.

Tips: play around with the surface wind speed until the ATC assigned you at other runway approach.

Questions : What is the reasonable wind for landing in the real flight? Can I land at wind 50 knot?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

50 knot winds would cancel airline service. If the wind was straight down the runway and steady, the wind would help takeoffs and landings but you still have to taxi in a 50 knot crosswind, that could be a problem.

I don't know of a max total wind velocity but the crosswind limit on most larger aircraft is around 30 knots.

CRJCapt, thanks for your reply. So in the real world, my setting would not be possible for airline to land or take off unless steady wind.

So this is only happen in FS9, where wind at 50 knot is still allow me to land eventough it is very hard to make the plane align to runway.

BTW do you ever land at runway 4R Honolulu airport with surface wind only set at 040 10 knot? or rwy 8R with wind set to 080 10knot?

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...