Trojans!

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

I was downloading a file from Avsim earlier today and the "trojan detected and cleaned" box of my anti virus software appeared. Not knowing a lot about these things, would this trojan have come in by the backdoor so to speak or could it have been on the Avsim site?

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Munkeh Guest

Hyepilot is like a trojan, he won't go away.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Munkeh wrote:

Welshflyer asks a serious question.Please don't hi-jack his topic with useless posts ❗

Welshflyer can you provide the link for the file you download.We can download it too and see what will happens.What AV are you using?

Tornadoman Guest

Munkeh wrote:

No one is interested, so stop posting rubbish

Munkeh Guest

Tornadoman wrote:

Munkeh wrote:

No one is interested, so stop posting rubbish

I'd call that hypocritical.

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

The file i was downloading was, fsg_dem38m_usrk_ut.zip, in the Avsim fs2004 scenery section(Utah). It's the FS Genesis-The Rockies 38.2m terrain mesh file. It's a huge download that took nearly 2 hours even with broadband ( it downloaded at about 12kb/sec).My AV is McAffee that i have automatic updates with as they are released. Sorry that i have'nt learnt how to do links yet! Thanks for your reply Greekman72!

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Munkeh wrote:

This is getting a bit old. Littering threads with meaningless trash has no point. Grow up!

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

Crash i agree completely, Hyepilot, the actual download seems to be ok! I've run FS and used this scenery file and it seems to be ok, i just thought i'd better warn others just in case, as i've seen posts from some that do not have any AV software.( As someone said, what are they doing on the internet without it!)

Pro Member Chief Captain

Welshflyer wrote:

I was downloading a file from Avsim earlier today and the "trojan detected and cleaned" box of my anti virus software appeared. Not knowing a lot about these things, would this trojan have come in by the backdoor so to speak or could it have been on the Avsim site?

My scan of the file:

Scan started: Sun Nov 19 17:56:32 2006

-- summary --
Known viruses: 77541
Engine version: 0.88.5
Scanned directories: 0
Scanned files: 1
Infected files: 0

Data scanned: 91.25 MB
Time: 43.359 sec (0 m 43 s)
--------------------------------------
Completed
--------------------------------------

Without the entire text of what your A/V software reported, I can't tell if it was in regard to this file or not. Since that file has been on avsim for 1-1/2 years, I suspect someone would have discovered it and removed it before now.

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

Thank you Crashgordon, as i said the AV seemed to get it and it works fine, but it was a bit worrying to discover a trojan on an FS site!

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

Welshflyer wrote:

but it was a bit worrying to discover a trojan on an FS site!

No doubt.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I've never had a problem with any FS files from anywhere and I usually don't give them a scan before I install them, like I should be doing.

Maybe I should start Idea

Pro Member Chief Captain

I suspect his A/V registered a false positive.. I went over that file with several programs and could not find anything wrong. An alternative is that his A/V reported cleaning a trojan from another file at the same time he was downloading the one from Avsim.

If his A/V produces a log of such events, posting the relevant portion here might be useful

Pro Member Captain
Welshflyer Captain

OK this is not funny anymore i was downloading from simviation today and this happened:-File C:\System Volume Information_restore 11 DC109A-5994-4183-AO4C-53BD1CEAASEC\RP152\A0112373.exe was infected by the Generic PWS.0. The file i was downloading was Pby5Kmpn.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...