ERJ-170 lands with parking brake on!(pictures)-Revisited

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

This is an old but interesting post, I offer it again for those who have not seen it.

This is what happens when you land a Embraer ERJ-170 with the parking brake on.

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/PRODUCTS/Freebies/USAirParkingBrake/

How could it happen to a professional crew? I have heard of this before so let me tell you. I don't know about this particular incident but here is a theory.

The emergency checklist (QRH-quick reference handbook) calls for the parking brake(PB) to be engaged in the process of coping with certain Hydraulic system malfunctions. Without getting too technical, it pressurizes certain hydraulic lines that help restore accumulator pressure as part of the emergency procedure. It should only be on for a certain amount of time, say 1 min. Many QRH are somewhat poorly written and never remind you to release the brake. Nothing on the normal checklist reminds you to release the brake. There are no warning lights in most aircraft to warn you that the PB is engaged. Some aircraft do warn you but many don't. Parking brake handle in many aircraft are small and not within your normal field of view. Put all of this together with the stress of the emergency situation and you can get a very short landing and a closed runway.

http://www.airliners.net/info/stats.main?id=406

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
kieranja First Officer

lookign at that i woundering if planes wheels spin up to speed before they land. surely if they didnt it would cause extream incress in heat and bust. and lots flat spots

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

kieranja wrote:

lookign at that i woundering if planes wheels spin up to speed before they land. surely if they didnt it would cause extream incress in heat and bust. and lots flat spots

Yesterday I was watching a video clip involving a Dash 8-400 landing shot from the inside from the seat right next to the wheel and the wheels weren't spinning at all before touchdown.

Pro Member First Officer
kieranja First Officer

i find that strange cause all that weight and speed would equal blow out right away. or at least flat spot. so why when ever i fly the plane lands fills up and takes off. i never seen any needing a tyre changed

for some reason they dont do what i think i dont know why as i would think it logic for that to happen

dairybox Guest

😕 that is strange, i watched a documentory on lancaster bombers and the wheels were spinning after they let down the landing gear???
grandpa said that they used to make the tires with speacial treads. so air or wind would rotate them a certain direction? ❓

Pro Member First Officer
kieranja First Officer

going have to find out about this lol. i bugged me for 4 years since i a hvg fitter and the trucks get flat spots on tyres from any little thing cause there 40 ton on top them. a plane must be hel lot more lol.

dairybox Guest

ya, but, sometimes grandpaw told me alot of poo-poo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ROFL

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

you know thats coming out of his paycheck

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

kieranja wrote:

i find that strange cause all that weight and speed would equal blow out right away. or at least flat spot. so why when ever i fly the plane lands fills up and takes off. i never seen any needing a tyre changed

for some reason they dont do what i think i dont know why as i would think it logic for that to happen

perhaps it they did blow out right away.

but im surprised that with all the weight, speed and thrust on those wheel why it didn`t just disigrate the brake pad, and burst the hydraulic lines that feed the brakes.

( im no tires expert just my opinion and thought)

Pro Member First Officer
kieranja First Officer

JarJarBinks wrote:

kieranja wrote:

perhaps it they did blow out right away.

but im surprised that with all the weight, speed and thrust on those wheel why it didn`t just disigrate the brake pad, and burst the hydraulic lines that feed the brakes.

( im no tires expert just my opinion and thought)

u miss read i am talking about a normal landing where wheels hit ground then spin.

dairybox Guest

I read a air disaster story were a Caravelle was holding his breaks and thrusting the turbines to burn off fog.
and after he took off the aircraft crashed.
the finnal result was that the brakes heated up so bad that after he retracted his undercarraige one of the boogies acualy caught fire! 😳

I just wanted to clarify something about modern aircraft tires. They do not spin up before landing. Modern tires are extremely durable and can take a lot of abuse. Brakes heating up can be an issue, but most aircraft have gear well temp sensors to warn of overheating. Tires limits are another thing. Many manufacturers allow plies of cord to be visible and continue service.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...