Start Up...

Pro Member First Officer
Jim Lapinsky (7ECA-Captain) First Officer

Hi, I just got a copy of FS2004 century of flight... I have a basic question, each time I start the game from my desktop, it asks me to insert disc no. 4??? Is this normal? and do I need to do this each time I want to run FS2004? IT seems kinda dumb to have to put the disc in each time..

Thanks.

Answers 26 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

7ECA-Captain wrote:

Hi, I just got a copy of FS2004 century of flight... I have a basic question, each time I start the game from my desktop, it asks me to insert disc no. 4??? Is this normal? and do I need to do this each time I want to run FS2004? IT seems kinda dumb to have to put the disc in each time..

Thanks.

Yes and yes it is kinda dumb. Congratulations. Now you have joined the worldwide religious movement to promote love and piece among flightsimmers. If you want to join the secret brotherhood however, you'll have to use the NO CD-Crack which I'll try and find somewhere. But first we'll have to know whether or not you are going to install the fs9 patch. I would recommend you do -- in this case you should install the patch BEFORE installing other add-ons.
There are two different No CD-Cracks, one for fs9 without, and another one for fs9 with the patch.

Pro Member First Officer

Oops I went and installed the Scout from the downloads, I should've checked to see if there were any fixes, after all I do own FSX. I was playing around with the downloads and seems I managfed to install the scout. I guess I can always uninstall it? Any other fixes I should be looking at? At first glance, FS2004 runs way better and seems easier to run. Not as flashy as far as the photo realistic panels and better scenery FSX has, but pretty good none the less. I had another query as far as settings go, I set the aircraft to ultra realism and it resets to a lower setting each time by itself??? Do I need to go over all the settings and redo all the control allocations each time I start the sim?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Ok, here is an article describing what the patch / update (SP1) is actually for:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/news/1170/

Here is the patch:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2795/flight-simulator-2004-update-v91/

After having installed this patch / update, your sim is referred to as fs9 SP1 or simply fs9.1

Here then is the No CD-Crack:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/15244/microsoft-flight-simulator-2004-v91-no-cd-patch/

As mentioned already, use this particular crack only AFTER having installed the patch / update.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Yes, just uninstall the Scout -- better safe than sorry.

Pro Member First Officer

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try. At first look, FSX was nicer graphically speaking, and the scenery details and such are far better, but I'm sure it will take very little time to get used to the more basic look of FS2004. It seems to have a lot of good aspects, true the cockpit detail is less, but I can live with that as long as it runs smoother. BTW, Where do I want my frame rate to run? I seem to have lots of memory, so speed is not an issue, I can run everything to the fire wall with no problems. It's currently set at about 90%.
😎

Pro Member First Officer

Oh something else, I was trying to download an aircrafdt, (P51) and had no success as the file kept ending prematurely. I was looking through the FS2004 files to remove it and came across a bunch of odd files for spitfire panel, P51 panel, P38, P47, etc, etc. I am wondering if they should be there or if they are there from a previous user ( my copy was bought used) or what the heck would they be doing there? It seems these would conflict with any new downloads... which I realy don't know how to do, although the Scout was fairly easy, the P51 was impossible. Sigh 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

About the frame rates: Push your slider to unlimited... in fs9 this works great.
Your fs9 will look great graphically as well once you've got the most important add-ons installed and I'm talking freeware here. Chris Arrington's aeu7.zip available here: http://library.avsim.net/esearch.php?DLID=&Name=&FileName=aeu7.zip&Author=&CatID=root is a terrific add-on and I think it comes with an installer - so you can breathe easy 😉

If you have difficulties installing the No CD-Crack mentioned earlier, just let us know. It's easier than you think AND.. it is good practice. 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

7ECA-Captain wrote:

Oh something else, I was trying to download an aircrafdt, (P51) and had no success as the file kept ending prematurely. I was looking through the FS2004 files to remove it and came across a bunch of odd files for spitfire panel, P51 panel, P38, P47, etc, etc. I am wondering if they should be there or if they are there from a previous user ( my copy was bought used) or what the heck would they be doing there? It seems these would conflict with any new downloads... which I realy don't know how to do, although the Scout was fairly easy, the P51 was impossible. Sigh 🙄

Hey Cap you gotta take it a step at a time, just ask what you're looking for and one of us will find it or at least know that it's not available or a dud. You are in fs9 country now - nothing is impossible.

Firstly just a reminder: Please do NOT download files from this library with the exception of the No-CD crack. The reasons for this I have often elaborated on. You want the P-51 that is IMHO the best available freeware for fs9? the filename is stpma.zip at www.flightsim.com or, if you're not a member yet, you can get it here: http://www.simradar.com/File/Flight_Simulator_2004/Original_Aircraft/index.html ...scroll down and you'll find it.

"...( my copy was bought used)" I take it you're referring to fs9?

"a bunch of odd files for spitfire panel, P51 panel, P38, P47, etc, etc."

If you are more specific we'll be able to figure out whether it's a File or a Folder or both you're concerned about. Being specific DOES make all the difference. I don't know whether that P-51 is payware or freeware, I don't know where you got it from. All this information helps us greatly to sort out anything.
Going by the little info you've given us I assume that the P-51 in question used an installer (bad, bad idea) that's why you find all those bits and pieces now. At this stage I wouldn't worry. I'm assuming, for lack of specifics that you've found left over panel-FOLDERS - those will not interfere with anything in the sim. The most common causes for CTD or other problems are incompatible gauges or modules.

Pro Member First Officer

So, can I remove them? BTW the P51 Down load was from this site in the prop downloads for FS2004, although perhaps it might not be all that good even though it had good ratings. I guess Igot all excited after for some amazing reason, the Scout loaded really easily... 😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

7ECA-Captain wrote:

So, can I remove them? BTW the P51 Down load was from this site in the prop downloads for FS2004, although perhaps it might not be all that good even though it had good ratings. I guess Igot all excited after for some amazing reason, the Scout loaded really easily... 😎

Ok, let me recap and simplify things:

1. Do NOT download from this library.

2. Take out free memberships at www.avsim.com and www.flightsim.com

3. Do not remove anything. As mentioned, unless those files are incompatible gauges or modules, they won't affect your sim.

PS: If you're hellbent on removing those suspicious "files" the least you gotta give me is the EXACT name of each and every file. When I say EXACT I mean EXACT. Idea

Pro Member First Officer

Ok, if we're not to try and download anything from this site, then what's the point of having downloads listed?
Besides to be honest I'm having enough problems just getting FS2004 set up to run the basic aircraft... I'm having trouble with even getting the CH products to work correctly in FS2004. The quadrant will not work correctly despite installing and using CH's control manager to calibrate everything over and over. The Quadrant checks out fine. But... doesnt work in sim. No matter how many times I assign the axis for throttles, props, and mixtures, they do not work correctly in the sim they work backwards, or only one moves, etc. I wonder if the CH quadrant is not designed for FS2004, although it does load and show on the controls screens? Not much point in keeping FS2004 if I can't use it for twins or multis. No point in asking CH for help with these issues either as they don't bother to reply to email enquiries. I would never advise anyone to purchase CH products, everything I've heard or read about them is bad...

Given the problema with CH, FSX, and FS2004, I'm thinking of packing it all in. Way too much effort and frustration for the so, so thrills of sim flight. Well I was excited with FS2004 for about two days until tried to add the CH Quadrant and I ran into the usual Quadrant related issues. Nothing can be done however as the CH Quadrant passes all the control managers calibration tests and seems to be working as designed. IN fact it worked far better in FSX. The problem seem to be the communication between the Quadrant and FS2004..... 🙄

Pro Member First Officer

BTW thanks for your help Tailhook, looks like Flight Sim isn't for me. I didn't graduate from MIT. And thus far both FSX and FS2004 suck!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

7ECA-Captain wrote:

FS2004 suck!

NEVER SAY THAT AGAIN!!! Evil or Very Mad

Pro Member First Officer

Sorry, I meant it Sucks! 😛

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Sorry to hear that Capt Scott Tailwheel.
I have heard nothing but positive reports re the CH products though I can't help you with any issues as I'm using the Saitek HOTAS combo.
Regarding Microsoft's Flightsimulator Software, anyone who's experience reaches beyond MSFS 2000 will tell you that MSFS 2004 (fs9) is by far the best to date.
Best in terms of level of enjoyment, usability and ease of tweaking to name but the most obvious.

We have to be aware that relative newcomers to the game such as Aces team's Phil Taylor cannot fathom that anything that came before FSX could actually be better, for obvious reasons.

Maybe you'll change your mind after having given simming a few days rest. I certainly hope so. 🍻

Pro Member First Officer

Overall, I like both FSX and FS2004, but with their inherent problems with accepting the Quadrant, Something I'd hoped switching from FSX to FS2004 would resolve but is actually worse, it makes for far less enjoyment. Flying a multi deals largely with engine management and having all controls moved by one controller takes a lot away from any multi which to be operated correctly requires use of differential thrust for directional control assist. I'd bought the rather expensive Quadrant to add to my enjoyment, not to add to my frustration. I am stuck as all of the self checks show the CH Quadrant is correctly calibrated and should work fine. CH doesn't reply to emails and in the past was unhelpfull when they did. The problem starts with the sims, FSX loosing the controller each time you start up requiring you to reset everrything, and FS2004 not mirroring or retaining any settings. I can use the Yoke and Rudders with no problems, but when Itry to add the Quadrant problems begin. Any how I suppose I can salvage something from this and only fly singles, but it sure leaves a lot of potential out of the experience. 🙄

I'm better now...honest.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

Lolz I was just kidding if you didnt know 😂 Maybe try contacing CH? I dunno, I'm just trying to help

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

7ECA-Captain I can't help but think that you're not seeing the forest because there are too many trees.

Detailed instructions for installation of CH USB controllers can be downloaded. Click on the link to download a PDF file.

You can get the PDF file here:

http://www.chproducts.com/retail/downloads.html

Change 'Flightstick Pro' to 'Throttle Quadrant' and click on Submit.

There's also the 'Knowledge Base':

http://www.chproducts.com/retail/knowledge_base.html

Click on 'Knowledge Base' -- this will take you to another page with its own search engine. Above the Search Bar you can click on 'Most Popular Articles' and 'Most Helpful Articles'.

Pro Member First Officer

Hey thanks TH, I'll give it a look see. Meanwhile I'm going to try removing the control manager as it seems to be part if not most of the problem.

Pro Member First Officer

Well after several days of frustraion trying to get FS2004 to run properly I'm going to uninstall it and reinstall FSX. With all of it's problems, FSX at least looks good, and other than the long wait for start up and occasional quadrant problems it seems to be a whole lot better. The aircraft fly better, look better, and are well... just better. I find the ground detail and scenery in FS2004 very sparse and kinda cartoony. I also noticed a lack of nav point features and accuracy in FS2004 around my home area that FSX has, and are key when simulating real circuits and approaches at an airport you are familiar with. There is a huge difference between FS2004 and FSX in the details. The photo realism of panels and such is superior to FS2004 even with everything dialed up to max. I guess I can live with FSX's appetite for memory now that I see how much more detailed it is as well as accurate. FS2004 from the get go has a lot more issues, and I can't even get the yoke (never mind rudders and quadrant) to work on each aircraft type just getting a lot of weird inputs like rudder from throttle, throttle going full forward them back as it is applied, no power, sound dropping off, etc, etc. Thanks but no thank I'll stick with FSX for now.

Cheers and thanks for all the help.

Capt. Scott

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Roger that Capt. Scott, whatever floats your boat.
I can't help but think that you would have made a little progress had you at least followed up on some of the tips we gave you.

Bygones.

Pro Member First Officer

I'n not so sure. I think it would have dissapointed after all the problems in just trying to get the thing running. I noticed a lot of options missing that are standard on FSX. And it feels good to get my butt back in the Goose. It wasn't all bad as I can see where FSX came from and I am more aware of the improvements to flight dynamics and graphics. In FSX, water looks like water. I really notice the details when flying out of the default airport Seattlel in FS9, the details of ships, and ground features were noticably inferior to FSX, and those cartoony clouds you can't get rid of, Ouch. FSX is not perfect, but for my needs, it is ok for now. Thanks for your help Tailhook, Next time we're on layover I'll buy you a few rounds at the old stick and rudder.

Cheers and clear skies my man. 🍻
The Captain

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

7ECA-Captain wrote:

Next time we're on layover I'll buy you a few rounds at the old stick and rudder.

FYI I DO know what Stick and Rudder is and I DO know how they're used in the sim. HOTAS as I mentioned in a previous post in this very thread stands for Hands On Throttle And Stick and yes, I use the Saitek pedals as well, which as you surely know as a real life pilot operate the rudders and the brakes.
In short, I'm quite capable of using my Stick, Rudder and Pedals in conjunction with what some people refer to as a flightsim.

Regarding 'Real life flying' I'm not interested as I get airsick. So thanks for the offer, but no thanks. Radar

Pro Member First Officer

Geez what's up with that? All I was trying to do was thank you for your help... "The old stick and rudder" refers to a virtual ie: non existant pilot's lounge. I was not offering you an airplane ride, so I have no idea where that came from. In any case my real life company does not allow jump seat rides. Man I don't know what got into you, but you need to relax. It seems my feelings of friendship were mistaken. Over and Out.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

7ECA-Captain wrote:

.. but you need to relax.

Don't patronize me. It appears to me that to follow simple guidelines and instructions requires a certain degree of relaxation and patience.
Guess who mustered the patience to explain the same procedures over and over and guess who couldn't be bothered to even read those tips and contemplate on their possible merit. You are telling me to relax???
All I've ever heard from you is 'I will try this' or I'm gonna try this later on' -- never 'Ive tried it and it works' or 'I've tried it and it doesn't work'.

I now regret that I've wasted my time with a 'Real Life Pilot' who obviously has great difficulties reading and comprehending printed material.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Cheeks Chief Captain

😳

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...