Sad news in the papers today

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

Answers 13 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Yes indeed.I ve alredy read it. Crying or Very sad

Deepest sympathy to family and relatives of this poor child:cry: Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

Mind telling me what it's about? The access to that specific URL is denied in my case Embarassed

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

crosscheck9 wrote:

Mind telling me what it's about? The access to that specific URL is denied in my case Embarassed

A SIX-year-old boy was killed this morning when a plane overshot its runway and crashed on a busy road.

The Boeing 737 hit two cars, pinning one of them beneath it. The boy was a passenger in one of the cars.

Eight other car passengers were hurt, but only two of the 103 on board the aircraft suffered minor injuries.

The pilot was attempting to land the plane in heavy snow at Midway International Airport, Chigago, US.

The 6-year-old boy was dead on arrival at a nearby hospital.

Passenger Mike Abate, 35, said after the landing he saw a father carrying an injured child and other people being taken away in an ambulance.

He said "That was the toughest part. We were safe on the plane,
but the toughest part was to realise that someone was under the belly of the plane," Abate said.

The Federal Aviation Administration said the Southwest Airlines plane slid off the runway at the northwest corner of the airport, through the boundary fence and into the road.

Passenger Larry Vazzano, 54, from the Baltimore area said the landing seemed normal at first.

"There was a bump. I saw snow rush over the wing, then there was a big bump," he said.

"I braced myself on the seat in front of me."

The airline's boss, Gary Kelly, said the plane circled Midway for about half an hour because of the weather and traffic before it was cleared
for landing.

"There are no indications that there are any maintenance problems with that aircraft whatsoever," he said.

Adding that the plane had a service check in Phoenix on Wednesday

Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Oh, that's so sad 😞 Poor child...too young to be taken off of this world 😞

Only the pilot knows what happened...

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

The accident appears to be weather related, it was snowing hard when it happened and visibility was low. The airport is situated in a highly populated area with no room for error.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Just out of curiosity, would you not expect the pilot to divert after finding out that there was nearly a foot of snow on the runway? OR, wouldn't the reverse-thrust stop him in time? Works in the sim, but I don't know the procedure for heavy snow stoppage 😕

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

Just out of curiosity, would you not expect the pilot to divert after finding out that there was nearly a foot of snow on the runway? OR, wouldn't the reverse-thrust stop him in time? Works in the sim, but I don't know the procedure for heavy snow stoppage 😕

Unfortunately there's more to it than meets the eye. Different airlines have different policies including arr/dept schedules and turnaround times. In brief: If a PIC doesn't put the a/c down acc. to schedule, it can have repercussions all the way to the entire crew having to be changed and therefore costing the airline many $$. Guess who gets the blame and the 'negative' marks on his/her overall performance sheet??

Modern (efficient?) times, my friend.

Pro Member Captain
Kareem El-Sadi (crosscheck9) Captain

May the poor child rest in peace Crying or Very sad

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

It's being reported on the news today that the reverse thrusters failed to work properly. I would imagine on a runway covered with snow that would be critical to stopping.

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Like Warhawk said the 737 had a problem with the reverse thrust, and the CNN article mentions that the pilots had to apply the brakes manually when they knew something was wrong. Have a look at the article here:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/12/11/midway.crash.ap/index.html

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

Couldn't the pilot engage the Parking Brake? I do that all the time in the sim 😂

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Chris102 wrote:

Couldn't the pilot engage the Parking Brake? I do that all the time in the sim 😂

It would probably do more harm than good. 😉 You see those pictures of the planes that have had to do a RTO, the tyres are ripped to sheds, so imagine what a parking brake would do on landing. Umm...

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

jarred_01 wrote:

Chris102 wrote:

It would probably do more harm than good. 😉 You see those pictures of the planes that have had to do a RTO, the tyres are ripped to sheds, so imagine what a parking brake would do on landing. Umm...

In addition the runway was covered with snow, too much brake could cause the plane to skid, and may have.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...