How often do you have to change your altimiter?

Pro Member First Officer
leachus2002 First Officer

Hi,

I have been "Simming" it for a while now, but I have never figured out when I should be changing my altimiter.

I know that over 18,000 then you have to change to 29.92, but for example, whenver I set the weather conditions to "real", when I am on approach I find that I can press "B" every 10 seconds or so and the altimiter will change. Is it meant to be set that often or should you just leave it set to what ATC tell you?

Thanks
Leachus

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

As you progress during you flight, ATC will give you updated altimeter settings below 18,000 ft. You are required to use an altimeter setting for a reporting station within 100 nm. of your location. Leave it set to what ATC tell you. The rate of change depends on pressure systems along you route of flight. If unable to receive/acquire a altimeter sitting, such as take off from a remote uncontrolled airport, use field elevation for take off and update setting as soon as able.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Also, make sure you tune into ATIS on the ground, that has the vital information including pressure. Then you let ATC know you heard the ATIS transmission by saying you have information alpha/beta... etc. It changes a bit more with real world weather because the weather updates itself every 10 or 15 minutes, often the changes are quite drastic, so that will cause the pressure to change. 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...