53%
 53%  [ 14 ]
No
46%
 46%  [ 12 ]

Total Votes : 26

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

I feel that guest should be banned, all of them not from viewing the forum, but from replying and rating screenshots. Pretty much all of the guests are immature and talk about off topic stuff.
Ill use PilotWannabe as a example firstly he tells us to fuck off then begs for forgivness, using the lame excuse that someone else has been using his username.
In many other cases the guests ask for Cracks of FsPassengers for example, but if there was Cracks of all games then the games would be unporffitable and the game company will stop making the game!

In conclusion I feel that it is IMPORTANT that all guests are banned due to there lack of respect. It would also make more people likly to sign up for the forums and therefore flyaway would be more profitable and would be able to expand!

Regards,
Cameron

P.S sorry for the language used and sorry to all geust who are not immature little prats.

Answers 63 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Hi Cameron,

I don't think we can ban guests from posting in the forums until Flyaway is made free to join. There are valuable guests here and there are complete idiots, and it would be a shame to lose the valuable guests. If it were to be made free to join, and someone was being abusive, then they could be banned from Flyaway, never to post again. It is a shame that a small minority of people cannot be trusted to post sensibly, but then that is life, there are immature people throughout life and there isn't too much that can be done about it 😞 .
I do understand your point, but I don't think banning guests out-right is the best way forward.

Jon 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

Can I also suggest that we ignore him, the more you directly reply to say what you think of him, the more likely that he is going to reply with more immature remarks, and we don't want that now 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

I vote for NO with all the respect to your opinion and thought my friend,but i think that for most of us the first touch with this site was like guests.
Think of the possibility that if we cant get in the forums and find them interesting maybe we will never pay and being official members.
Flyaway knows it and thats why he allows guests to come in forums ❗ .
We are an attrcactive site and maybe the biggest(in members)and best of people quality one.
Some periodical incidents like those you reffering too and many more in past are excpected in such a big site...But considering the number of members and visitors are statisticaly low in range.
From the other side we all know some members that are great and helpful like Guest Ed and more and personally dont like to see them banned.Moderators doing a great and wisely job in order to protect this site and also most of us always help them in their difficult job.

Thats my opinion dear beerbadger and i hope that you dont get me wrong because i have an opposite opinion from yours. 😉

Last edited by Greekman72 on Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Captain
atreyu Captain

don't the mods like radarman block the bad guests ip's? or sumthing like that, because some of our guests are good and just as helpfull as members

Pro Member Chief Captain

atreyu wrote:

don't the mods like radarman block the bad guests ip's? or sumthing like that, because some of our guests are good and just as helpfull as members

I think because guests are anonymous, their IP remains anonymous too. Could be wrong though 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I agree with Beerbadger. If Far Away Simulation doesn't want to ban guest, they should limit their privileges and or give them a time limit to become a member. Everyone that can afford Flight sim can afford $5 membership fee. There needs to be a way to track people that abuse the forum. Membership with a current email address would benefit the website and allow tracking of abusive members.

"u talkin 2 me im talkin 2 u F*** Off deadbadger" by a guest, should not be tolerated!

Last edited by CRJCapt on Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Captain
atreyu Captain

Anonymous wrote:

u talkin 2 me im talkin 2 u fuck off deadbadger

looks like someone had too many beers last night! 😀

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

atreyu wrote:

Anonymous wrote:

u talkin 2 me im talkin 2 u fuck off deadbadger

Although i understand this the simple fact is that this is a serious subject and i feel that CRJcapt is right and that a timelimit should be inforced.

Do not get me wrong im not having a go, but i feel that this is a serious topic.

Last edited by beerbadger on Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

i feel i cannot vote yes or no. i agree that all of our first contacts with this site was as a guest ourselves, but i also agree that guests shouldn't be able to post, but then membership would need to be free, so.....!!!!!

Maybe there should be free membership for forums but pay for downloads and gallery??

Such a hard one to debate!!

Micah 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

A notice.
I just see that the guest bad posts has been deleted from this topic.I thik that flyaway himself do the job(i see that he was logged in).

Gongrats and may thanks to him. ❗

Pro Member First Officer
Corgi First Officer

Hi Guys

I don't think we should blanket ban all guests, after all we were all guests once.

I do agree that guests should have limited access to parts of the site though, as there is a lot of free areas.

After all membership is only $5.

There is one guest called Liam who is really helpful and this is the reason I would not like to see all guests banned.

Regards

George

Pro Member Captain
atreyu Captain

i think we should just leave it the way it is. because every once in while
theres a bad guest posting, but the mods fix it quick. c'mon when was the last time we had bad guest posts that stayed on the boards for a long time?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

atreyu wrote:

A little education here. Most internet users are in what are called dynamic IP pools. This means their IP address changes from time to time. You would have to block whole IP ranges to block them. In doing so, you would block everyone who used the same ISP as the offender.

The only solution is to have a free membership that requires a verified non-freemail email address in order to have any posting privileges. The paying members would have full access.

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

Anonymous wrote:

ull get banned not me idiots

can you see what i mean?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

beerbadger wrote:

Anonymous wrote:

ull get banned not me idiots

can you see what i mean?

Please my friend Beer...dont feed them for more posts...Just ignore them.Its the best way. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I've been removing most of them and posting them in the moderator forum.
Yes we can see everyone's IP guest or not and Flyaway has banned a few already and will be banning a few more today.
Sorry that this has to happen but as for joining for "only $5" it's not always the money many times it's "the principal" and I can see that with some of our (very) nice guests.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

I agree that some of them are very helpful, but we really sahould inforce a free registration (or a free trial) then they can pay to continue on there account.

Pro Member First Officer
alohajoe First Officer

If we ban guests, then how will we get in if we accidentilly log-out? Yet if you can afford flightsim,a joystick,,speakers and a good PC thenyou can afford $5.

Pro Member Chief Captain

atreyu wrote:

Anonymous wrote:

u talkin 2 me im talkin 2 u f*** off deadbadger

This is not a case of too many beers. This is a case of someone so incompetent to do any thing right that he can't even install FS, let alone fly anything in it. The best he can do is be abusive and annoying, like a two-year-old having a tantrum.

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

Its just riddiculus how many geusts free load of this site while we all pay for it.

radarman wots an ip

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

Internet Port

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

can i just say taking abuse such as what i have been told is technically assualt.

im sorry beerbadger we all love ur work around here and wot is internet port

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

woo im not saying its you there are just a few fu... sorry but they just P me off.

ok beerbadger r we freinds and is radarm man plannin on bannin me
🍻

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

if you are the one that told me to f off then hopefully he will ban you!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

🍻

Internet Protocol.

It's a series of numbers that tell me who your ISP is and identifies you.
We can lock that out and if Flyaway wishes, he can e-mail them your ISP and some of your posts and they'll warn the owner or many times cancel the account.
I won't put your number up here but you live in the UK area. Your ISP is btcentralplus.com btbroadband.com

Radar

im sorry radar man will change from now on i promise

r u goin 2 do that radarman we all love u on flyawaty

i promise u radar man that i will neverswear again on this website i prominse u 😞

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

should be to late ban him! muhaaaa haaa lol.
Can you tell me my internet type i need to find out lol.

But seriously ban him,

no pleese dont adarman

wot do u meen 2 l8 2 ban him

Pro Member Chief Captain

beerbadger wrote:

Internet Port

IP = Internet Protocol.

IP Address looks like 123.05.117.101 (sometimes called a dotted quad)

Each portion of the address must be between 0 and 254.

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

beerbadger wrote:

should be to late ban him! muhaaaa haaa lol.
Can you tell me my internet type i need to find out lol.

But seriously ban him,

If you're meaning that you want to find out your IP address, go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ and it will tell you - I assume that it is accurate.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

RadarMan wrote:

Anonymous wrote:

🍻

Internet Protocol.

We can lock that out and if Flyaway wishes, he can e-mail them your ISP and some of your posts and they'll warn the owner or many times cancel the account.
I won't put your number up here but you live in the UK area. Your ISP is btcentralplus.com btbroadband.com

Radar

Radarman, how do you find out where someone lives by their IP? Is there a website that can look it up?

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Chris, I dont know if RM does it this way (probably not) but I do it by openening up MS-DOS prompt, and typing in tracert and then the IP address of the computer e.g. for Google.co.nz you would type it and then press enter. It will show up all the locations your request has gone through, such as your ISP, then other sites along the way, finally ending up in the requested site. Then use the last part of the website e.g. www.google.co.uk to tell where the server/computer is located.

Type the following:

tracert 72.14.207.104 and hit enter.

Know doubt RM has a much simpler way!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Chris102 wrote:

RadarMan wrote:

Anonymous wrote:

🍻

Internet Protocol.

Radar

Radarman, how do you find out where someone lives by their IP? Is there a website that can look it up?

As moderator or administrator you can see others IP numbers, then just look them up.
I use this http://www.ripe.net/whois

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

jarred_01 wrote:

Chris, I dont know if RM does it this way (probably not) but I do it by openening up MS-DOS prompt, and typing in tracert and then the IP address of the computer e.g. for Google.co.nz you would type it and then press enter. It will show up all the locations your request has gone through, such as your ISP, then other sites along the way, finally ending up in the requested site. Then use the last part of the website e.g. www.google.co.uk to tell where the server/computer is located.

Type the following:

tracert 72.14.207.104 and hit enter.

Know doubt RM has a much simpler way!

Tracert only gives you the route to the IP address. What you are looking for is:

01/01/06 21:56:06 IP block 72.14.207.104
Trying 72.14.207.104 at ARIN
Trying 72.14.207 at ARIN

OrgName: Google Inc.
OrgID: GOGL
Address: 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway
City: Mountain View
StateProv: CA
PostalCode: 94043

NetRange: 72.14.192.0 - 72.14.239.255
CIDR: 72.14.192.0/19, 72.14.224.0/20
NetName: GOOGLE
NetHandle: NET-72-14-192-0-1
Parent: NET-72-0-0-0-0
NetType: Direct Allocation
NameServer: NS1.GOOGLE.COM
NameServer: NS2.GOOGLE.COM
Comment:
RegDate: 2004-11-10
Updated: 2005-07-01

RTechHandle: ZG39-ARIN
RTechName: Google Inc.
RTechPhone: +1-650-318-0200
RTechEmail: arin-contact@google.com

OrgTechHandle: ZG39-ARIN
OrgTechName: Google Inc.
OrgTechPhone: +1-650-318-0200
OrgTechEmail: arin-contact@google.com

# ARIN WHOIS database, last updated 2006-01-01 19:10
# Enter ? for additional hints on searching ARIN's WHOIS database.

Any Linux computer with the whois client can do this. For Windows computers a program like Sam Spade is handy.

Pro Member First Officer
mako (makonnenl) First Officer

I am very surprised to see this. RadrMan are you saying that you are able to see or identify IP addresses everytime some one has posted. How can you tell if I am using a private address, behind firewall and or wireless? Just to know
. 😳

Pro Member Chief Captain

Forums software such as PHP-Nuke and others, log the IP address for all posts.

If you are on a LAN or behind a NAT router, the local (private) IP addresses such as 192.168.1.30 are not revealed. Only the IP address your LAN or router are connected to your ISP are known.

So, if someone is using a school computer, the IP is logged. That IP is one of many that belong to the schools's ISP. The ISP's server logs the IP addresses used by its customers. So, if Flyaway or Radarman contact an ISP about abusive posts, the ISP can determine which customer (the school) was involved. The school keeps logs of who logged on to their system and the dates and times.

It is possible to nail an evil-doer that way.

If someone is posting from their laptop at a Starbuck's it gets a bit more difficult...but not impossible. Every computer's network card or WIFI adapter has a MAC address which is unique. It is theoretically possible to catch a culprit that way, but more difficult.

Pro Member First Officer
mako (makonnenl) First Officer

CrashGordon
Thank you for a detailed explanation now it is clear as crystal to me.
I hope all evil doers with guest account read this so they will think 2s.
👍

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Thanks Crash, the net isn't as anonymous as we think it is. You leave a trail wherever you go.

If Flyaway reports you to your ISP they won't tell us who you are (legal issues) but will take action of some kind.

Radar

plz dont reportme redarman imbeggin u
Crying or Very sad

radarman r u gonna ban me from this cool website

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Q : Should all Guests be banned?

A : No.

thank u tailhook ur a good guy

Pro Member First Officer
Tartanaviation First Officer

Seeing as this site runs of php, could flyaway not view the ips of the guests that are posting abusive and irrelevant posts? He must be able to ban ips in the forum module in his phpnuke admin menu.

Only a suggestion as this would clear up those who purely come here to mess about and cause problems. For example i found this post just a minute ago.

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

To get back on the topic, I voted no and I would like to see what the 8 people that voted "yes" have to back up their statement.

Do we really want this site to become a closed clique, the same people, the same faces regurgitating the same subjects? I suppose we do get new members (which we do and it's great) and I suppose we do get (only lately) some idiot "guests" (or rather 14 year olds who cannot for the life of them spell, just found out the word "fuck" along with their pimples and play way too much Quake). I doubt the solution is to just indiscriminately ban every guest account; I think this would in truth impoverish this board, certainly be a detriment.

As some have mentioned (totally sidetracking the discussion en passent) IPs can be blocked. I suppose some guest privileges could be curtailed as well, as an added incentive to spend the measly 5 dollars required for membership. In the end, the community itself will cast out, ignore, ridicule any attempt to degenerate these boards into an SMS-simplespeak form of inane e-banter.

im sorry every1 who ive upset i promise 2 never swear again on this website

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

I am 13 and have not been immature Bindolaf that is a un fair evaluation.

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

(or rather 14 year olds who cannot for the life of them spell, just found out the word "fuck" along with their pimples and play way too much Quake).

Unless you fall in the category above, I was not evaluating you 😉 I certainly did not say or mean that all 14 year olds cannot spell. Neither am I saying that being 14 is bad, or being immature is bad - or having pimples is bad. I just said what I said and meant only that, no generalisation.

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

ok,

Pro Member Chief Captain

Bindolaf wrote:

In the end, the community itself will cast out, ignore, ridicule any attempt to degenerate these boards into an SMS-simplespeak form of inane e-banter.

👏 Group Wave Group Wave 👏

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

NO don't ban guests- many of them have valuable inputs to this forum. Also, we won't get as many members signing up if we block guests because they won't realise what they are missing! I was a guest for a week or so before I signed up, so that proves my point!

And to be fair beebadger- you are just as bad as some of them calling them 'immature little prats'

Pro Member Chief Captain

Then the answer is two levels of membership. The full $5.00 version and a free version that allows forum posting only...with the requirement of a verified non-freemail email address.

Now if anyone is too lazy to go thru the sign-up process, That's just too darned bad.

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

cheeky no disrespect but calling somone a prat compared to F*** you DEADbadger thats completly differerent, hes basicly saying hes going to kill me. lol

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

cheeky no disrespect but calling somone a prat compared to F*** you DEADbadger thats completly differerent, hes basicly saying hes going to kill me. lol

C'mon, it's not like this person even knows you and is gonna hunt you down is it? What your both doing is immature name calling- this is a flight sim forum, not a primary school playground 😕

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

so if i said " Calm down old chap hot hot." smoking a pipe, that would be ok?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

99jolegg wrote:

atreyu wrote:

I think because guests are anonymous, their IP remains anonymous too. Could be wrong though 😉

Their IP address is logged when they post but it is useless as anyone can spoof an IP address

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

yes but you have to dolike a hours work for that to work.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

no you don't unfortunately, if only..

there are websites with hundreds of public proxy servers around the globe which you point your internet connection to and bam, suddenley you have a different net IP address, its as simple as that.

I am going to vote yes for technical reasons which I shan't share here, pm me if your curious 😛

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...