Graphic Cards for FS 2002

Leoart Guest

Hello fellow pilots this is my first post in here I got a little prob my old graphic card is messed up so I want to buy a new one for fs 2002.But Im not good at graphic cards so I dont know which one to choose thats makes this game look good I want to buy one in the range of $80 to $100 so if anyone here can give me some good graphic cards for this game that would be huge help 😀 😀 Thankx.

Answers 23 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

My understanding, the ATI Radeon 9200 is a pretty good card. Don't get anything below a 64mb for 2002 if you can see your way for a 128 you'll have a super card for the Flight Sim.

Don't buy a card marked "SE". No, No!

I have the 9800 pro 128 DDR, but there are many others who prefer Nvidia, they'll be along soon. 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😂 Here's one(a Nvidia man) 😂
Which one to buy is realy up to you and what you intend doing with it
The truth about graphic cards is BIGGER is better (for future proofing your pc)
The Nvidia fx5200 will run 2002 well and can cope with 2004 and they are quite cheap at between £40 & £50
Shop around and buy the best you can Ati or Nvidia

If you see one you fancy chuck it on the forum and somebody will know a thing or two about it

Happy hunting

Leoart Guest

Thanx guys I v been looking around yesturday 😕 and I think I found a good one at tigerdirect. The card that I found and want to buy is Sapphire Radeon 9200 Video Card /256MB DDR/AGP 8X/TV out/Lite Versoin. 🙂 Well I need some counsuling can you guys tell me if this will work good on FS2002 Thanx Alot 😀 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

:umm...:Lite and SE mean more or less the same thing Umm... Its an old card now but I think it should run 2002 but it will not be very good on fs9
You said you had $80/100 to spend so I would spend all of it on a better spec card
As i have said I've only used Nvidia cards so have real knowledge of Ati cards (only what I have read about them and others)
Ive been shopping around for you and found these

I know the Nvidia card will be ok as it will run fs9 fairly well.
Hang on to your cash for a while and see if anyone else comes up with something

Hope its helped

Leoart Guest

Thanx man well iv been looking aroung more found these tell me what you think the 1st one is ATI Radeon 9200 Video Card/128MB/AGP 8x DVI for $100 ,the other one that I found is eVGA GeForce FX 5600XT Video Card/128MB DDR/AGP 8x DVI also for $100.The other one is ,Chaintech GeForce FX 5600XT Video Card/128MB/AGP 8x DVI. What do you think about this guys thanx for your support.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Umm... The fx5600 cards are good and more upto date than the Ati and I,ve used a Chaintech video card before and was very good at the time.
Being a Nvidia user I would go for the Chaintech.
Good luck

Anybody else want to chip in before we part with the cash ?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Read I'd never tell you which card to get, you have to make that choice by reading test results such as the ones that TomTheTank gave you.
Search around match 2-4 cards against each other and decide. Dont Know
Whichever you go with I know that you'll be happy with the knowledge you picked up by searching out tests.
Good luck and let us know which you decide on and how you like it. 👍

Radar

Leoart Guest

Well I think I made up my mind Idea 😂 I looked alot and I will probably buy the Chaintech GeForce FX 5600XT Video Card/128MB DDR/AGP 8X. The fill rate per second for this card is 1 billion texels,Vertices per Second is 81 million Max resolution 2048*1536@75Hz.
Well what do you guys think will this make the game look more realistic or make the game graphics improve alot 😕 Thanx for the help 😀 😀

Pro Member Trainee
cray1 Trainee

Hi all first time to post for me well guys i got a P3 1000g 256 ram and a 64/400 card nvidia works ok in 2002 have loaded 2004 ok it goes but you guys are right bigger cards for the future would be the way to go hope that helpes you .

Regards Cray[/i]

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

cray1,
Glad your enjoying the Sim and thanks for joining us here.
If you add another 256mb bringing you to 512mb (as long as you have XP- not W-ME) you'll see a jump in performance.
Ram is still pretty cheap right now.

Leoart Guest

Hey Cray1 glad you joined us 🍻 well Radarman what do you think about the card that I have choosen Umm...I have one question though I have an Intel graphic conttroler installed in my comp but I dont think I can take it out from the motherboard but I could disable it so when I install the new card I just have to disable the built in one correct 🙂 ?? Thanx for the help

Leoart Guest

😀 Also I dont know if alot of people have this prob but when I play FS 2002 and when I switch between different views my plane turns white for a couple of seconds then turns into its normal color do you guys think its because I have a bad graphic card thats also one of the reasons Im buying a new card 😀 😀 Thanx 🍻

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

You will be able to disable the onboard graphics in your Bios
When you power up your pc but before Windows starts to load press F2
this should take you into the bios screen(dont touch anything you do not know about)
Check with your motherboard hand book for instructions

Oh the white aircraft sounds like a lack of memory (just takes a bit of time to reload the grapics)

Let us know how you get on

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

TomTheTank is right (as usual) all the way around.
The texture of the aircraft "blinking" before it comes on is both the memory and more like the video card.
The memory can be solved temporarily by shutting down many of the programs that run in the background (NAV Anti Virus) and a few more.
As for the card, if TTT said that it's a winner 🙄 then it is, he's the expert in Nvidia, I'm merely a poor ATI lover. 🍅

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

I'm merely a poor ATI lover. When we talk Ati 9800 pro we are not talking poor. On this side of the pond they are quite expensive Ill Still, its a dam fine card from the makers of the fastest card on the planet. Punk
If I even looked at one my wife would find out about it and then I gotta look out

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

When I say "poor" I'm not referring to price $$. Nvidia lovers consider ATI lovers the "poor relations" (over here).
I know that ATI is better but I prefer to humor TTT . 🙄

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

😀 Is a funny old world we live in because over here ATI is thought to be the best(and the most£££££)
Secret Thats why im whispering just in case the Devil herself should be listening.

Or else its more of this

Catch you all again Tuesday 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Have a good sleep ❗

See you tomorrow.

Leoart Guest

😂 😂 Well what systems can be temporarly disabled in order for FS 2002 run well ❓ ❓ I disabled the anti virus but that didnt do much what else can a disable temporarly.Thanx

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Leoart,
I don't know what OS your running but usually you can cut it down to "explorer (not the browser) and Systray".
I used this (MaxMem) when I had ME Now with XP I still use it. What it does is keep enough memory to run Windows while giving the rest to your programs.
End-It-All is something I never needed but I know quite a few people who used it.
These two may help you.

http://home.ptd.net/~don5408/toolbox/enditall/

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/maxmem.htm

Try to keep all of your settings at "default" for now and see how it plays.

Pro Member Trainee
cray1 Trainee

Thanks guys and radarman well about win Me yes i run that with no probs but i have found by disabling restore i have no pro what so ever i will change to Xp some time but ok .
I do get a slight gurking when starting off the take of run but i can live with that for now and i have the new driver loaded so not so bad at all thanks for the tips guys very gratfull it is a good site.

NTL1991 Guest

I'm getting the 9200 for XMas, and I have FS2002 and FS2004, but I dont have 2004 installed because of my current 8MB Video Card. Would It be better to use FS2002 with the 9200 or FS2004 with the 9200? Thanks... The 9200 is pretty cheap right now too, like 99 bucks. Not bad for 128MB.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

2004 has of course more and newer features, it's also more graphic intensive so your card and system has to work harder and be better.
You'll get better results with 2002 but do you want to run and older flight sim, yes if your system can't handle the new.

Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...