Don't know how to speak to ATC in VATSIM with Mic

Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

Hi

I was wondering how I can speak to the VATSIM ATC using my mic. I have calibrated by microphone but how do I speak to them - and not using the text box?

Answers 21 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Use the set up utility (depends what you're using FSINN or SB3, but they both have one) to set up your volumes and - most importantly - a "push to talk" key. Assign one you do not use for anything else (would be inconvenient to set "G" for example, as you would lower/raise your gear with every transmission 😛 ). Mine is "T" for example. Then all you have to do it push the key (and keep it pressed) and you will be able to talk.

Usually I start my sessions with: "ABCD Tower, good evening, GHI123 requesting radio check". Then you will get a reply with how they hear you, for example "GHI123, receiving you 5/5" or "GHI123 you're coming in 3/5, broken". Fiddle with the settings till you have it right. I don't need to do anything anymore, they can hear me fine.

As for etiquette, especially in busy airports, state your business short and sweet. Also, for initial contact, best just use only your callsign.

Example:

You: "ABCD Tower, good evening, GHI123"

Tower: "GHI123, ABCD Tower. Good evening, go ahead sir"

You: "GHI123 requesting clearance to EFGH IFR as filed"

Tower proceeds with clearance.

If you start with the request and other people do too, all the tower is going to hear is "SQUEEEEEEEEAK BEEEEEEEP SHHHRRRRRGGG" and it's not pleasant 😛

As for brevity, the above example is a good one. A bad one would be: "Eeeeer, yea, tower, hmmmm good evening and a nice day to you sir, it's a great day for flying hmmm. Err, well, we want a clearance to EFGH, IFR, departure GHJKJ1A and if possible the longest runway, cause we're kinda err hmm heavy haha yea."

Remember, controllers cater to planes in the air first, then planes on the ground. In all the time it takes to transmit the above.. piece, a controller could have issued 3-4 critical instructions. So keep it short and to the point 🙂

flightcheck Guest

Do the ATC get angry with you if your new and make a few blues? Embarassed lol

Pro Member Captain
John Hodges (originalgrunge) Captain

It depends. If you choose to fly and make a few mistakes during one of their fly-ins when they have to work very hard at sequencing, then yes, they may get snappy. However, 90% of controllers are pilots themselves on VATSIM and have all had to go through the uncomfortable mistakes period, so they certainly sympathize!

Pro Member First Officer
beerbadger First Officer

Its great ive used but got bored, might install it again.

Pro Member Chief Captain

OK - but how can i actually speak to them - i need to know how to speak to them first before i can actually start my instructions!!!

Pro Member Chief Captain

OK - but i need to know how to actually SPEAK TO THEM

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

Start up FS9 at the gate.
load up SB3
before you connect to the server goto start, options then voice.
Where it says Push to Talk (com1 & com2) press set and choose any key. Click apply then ok and you should be fine.

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Bindolaf, that example of how to begin radio contact was very useful. Would you recommend always starting with a radio check, then when ATC replies proceeding to ask for clearance?

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Also, if you are flying at night do you still say "good evening" and when you are being handed off during night time flights do you still say "good day"?

Pro Member Captain

Once you read back the frequency change instructions you can say what you'd like. My usual is "Thanks for your services." You needn't ask for a radio check each time, but it is helpful if you've changed any of the settings dealing with your headset/microphone. Sometimes small tweaks can cause a lot of unwanted background noise! If you know your setup works well though, you can just go ahead with the clearances.

Pro Member First Officer
Jamie Robson (Jamier) First Officer

good examples.

I usually start with "good morning/evening edinburgh tower (there isnt usually someone on ground) SCO62 requesting radio check"

tower replies with what is appropriate.

then i say "edinburgh SCO62 requesting IFR clearance to (destination) as filed"

tower replies with IFR clearance.

then i read back the clearance "SCO62 is cleared IFR to (destination) as filed via a (certain departure) runway (runway here).

then tower usually says "SCO62 readback is correct. QnH is .... report ready for push and start.

and me: "tower SCO62 ready for push and start"

then tower clears me for push and start i then request taxiand get taxi to the active. tower tells me to lineupand cleared for takeoff.

sorry i couldnt finish it with conversations got exam in 40 mins gotta go.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Jamier wrote:

sorry i couldnt finish it with conversations got exam in 40 mins gotta go.

Good Luck 👍

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Ok, since there is interest I'll post an example. To answer the question first, yes, you can continue with the IFR request after the radio check. Also, as posted above, you don't need to check every time, only if you've changed settings. Oh, a caveat: If you have dial up, don't download stuff while speaking, it will come broken. If you have broadband: Don't use torrent clients while speaking, it will come broken. Unless you are savvy enough to set "priorities" on your router.

Ok here we go: Olympic 215 wishes to fly from Athens to Frankfurt, IFR and is parked at gate A13. LGAV Tower is online. "A" will be the aircraft and "T" the tower.

"A": Venizelos Tower, good evening, Olympic 215 radio check please.

"T": Olympic 215, receiving you 5/5, good evening, go ahead.

"A": Olympic 215 requesting clearance IFR to Frankfurt as filed.

"T": Olympic 215, you are cleared IFR to Frankfurt via NEVRA1F departure. Initially climb and maintain FL170, expect FL330. Set squawk 7012

"A": We are cleared to Frankfurt IFR via NEVRA1F. Initial flight level 170, expect 330 and squawk 7012, Olympic 215.

"T": Olympic 215 your readback is correct. Time is 37, QNH 1016, runway in use for departures is 03R and wind is 330 at 06 knots. Call me for pushback and startup

Note that sometimes they will clear you for pushback at once and will say "call me for taxi"

"A": Tower, Olympic 215 reporting ready for push and start.

"T": Olympic 215, push and start approved, call me ready to taxi.

"A": Tower, Olympic 215 request taxi to the active.

"T": Olympic 215, taxi to holding position runway 03R via E, D4, D, D2

"A": Taxi to holding position runway 03R via E, D4, D, D2, Olympic 215

(you taxi...)

"A": Tower, Olympic 215 at holding position D2, runway 03R, ready for departure.

"T": Olympic 215 you are cleared for take off, runway 03R, wind is 330 at 06 knots.

This is about it for a departure. Notice that the important information needs to be read back always (!), whereas info (like the METAR) need not be. Notice also that ATC will avoid using the word "cleared", unless for take off and landing (they will instead say "push approved", "taxi to" etc). This is to avoid any confusion about take off and landing clearances.

Finally notice that pilots end their transmissions with their callsign, whereas the tower begins his transmissions with the pilot's callsign. A notable exception are requests. When a pilot requests something, he starts with his callsign. For example the tower will say "Olympic 215 expedite your climb" and the pilot will respond "Expedite climb, Olympic 215", but will say "Tower, Olympic 215 requesting runway 03L for departure".

This is a typical conversation, but it can go any other way. You may be asked to hold your position, you may be informed "taxi to holding position runway 03R via E, D, D4, D2 behind a Boeing 737-300 on taxiway D, you are number 2 for departure". This means stay behind the other aircraft. You may be (in events) number 3 or 4 or 9. You may be told "expect your clearance in 15" (this means in 15 minutes). You may be told "standby 1". This means be silent a second, and we'll get back to you in a minute. And much more that you will find out in practice 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain

Just a quick question. When taxiing, I rarely understand the taxiing clearences. I understand that each taxiiway has its own name i.e. a letter of the phonetic alphabet, but I don't understand the numbers after it. When it says 'Taxi to runway 09L, via D A E C' I would take that to mean use the taxiiways Delta, Alpha, Echo and Charlie, but what are you suppposed to do if numbers are after the taxiiways. Is that a point where you are supposed to turn ❓ ❓

Cheers 🍻

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

Here: A picture of the taxiways in the above example.

Starting at A13 and taxiing via E, D4, D, D2 to the holding position, runway 03R. Numbered taxiways are usually small connecting strips between big taxiways and carry the name of the main they branch off of and a number.

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Yes agreed. I have no idea really how to follow taxi instructions.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Ah I understand now. The software program I have that shows me the taxiways in FS, doesn't show numbers after the taxiways, just the phonetic letters 🙄 Which is why I didn't understand where the numbers came into it ❓

Thanks 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

JTH wrote:

Yes agreed. I have no idea really how to follow taxi instructions.

I don't know if something similar to myairplan.com exists for the areas you fly in, but I can get airport diagrams in the US and determine where to turn, etc. I can even set the gps to its shortest range to pinpoint where I am in the airport if I am uncertain.

Pro Member Captain

Nope, just sit tight on your current taxiway. Taxiways with numbers are different from just the letters. The ATC will always specify if you are using a numbered taxiway (i.e. "Delta Seven" as opposed to simply "Delta").

DreamLiner63 Guest

How do you set your Microphone to "Push To Talk" ?

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Let me guide you through the steps to get your microphone working with VATSIM ATC (Air Traffic Control). VATSIM, for those who are unaware, is the Virtual Air Traffic Simulation Network, a network that allows pilots and ATC to interact in a simulated environment. It's quite immersive and adds to the flight simulation experience. Now, the process to use your microphone is generally the same across different flight simulators like the latest Microsoft Flight Simulator and X-Plane 12.

1. Check VATSIM Audio Settings: The first thing you need to ensure is that VATSIM recognizes your microphone. Open your VATSIM client software (vPilot, Xsquawkbox, etc.) and head over to the settings or options tab. Look for an audio or sound settings submenu. Here, make sure your microphone is selected as the input device.
  2. Set Up PTT (Push To Talk) Key: VATSIM operates on a PTT system. You'll have to assign a key or a button on your joystick as your PTT key. This is the key you will press and hold when you want to transmit your voice to ATC. You should find this setting in the same menu as the audio settings.
  3. Check VATSIM Server Settings: Make sure you're connected to a voice-capable server. Most servers support voice communication, but there might be a few that don't. Ensure you are connected to one that does.
  4. Speak Clearly and Concisely: Once you're set up, remember that clarity and brevity are key when speaking to ATC. Use standard aviation phraseology to the best of your ability to ensure smooth communication.

One more thing to keep in mind: VATSIM has a detailed Code of Conduct (Link) that provides guidelines on how to interact within the network. It's a good idea to familiarize yourself with these rules to ensure you're communicating effectively and respectfully.

In case you're still having trouble, VATSIM's technical support forums are a great place to seek further help (Link). I hope this helps and that you'll be communicating with ATC via your mic in no time. If you have further questions, feel free to ask.

Fly safe!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...