Carrier Aircraft

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

Some time back I added a Hawker "Sea Hurricane" which came complete with a carrier apparently steaming very slowly across Scapa Flow - a pretty unlikely locale to fly off aircraft! It took off well enough but landing on the flat-top was quite another matter - I either missed or crashed into it.

So, I thought, try something slower and I substituted a downloaded Supermarine "Walrus" which is about as slow as you get (I once saw a real one take off near Ailsa Craig from "Illustrious" and it more or less fell off the end of the deck but staggered into the air) and I thought I just might manage to land this one on. The problem then turned into, first of all, "where has the carrier gone ?" - I duly found it and then tried to land the much slower plane but again I missed!

Entertaining but perhaps I was over-hopeful!

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

If you enjoy carrier flying you might like this add-on.

https://www.simshack.net/products/uss-enterprise-aircraft-carrier-fsx-prepar3d-682

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

Interesting and I should think the question at the lower edge of the software box "are you up to the challenge" would certainly apply to me and at the moment I should think the answer would be "no"!

I still experience problems in landing as I note that I see the angle of the runway change, either left or right as I approach, making it difficult for me to stay on the centre line and this is with no wind too. Can't think where I am going wrong.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I have the previous edition from Abacus: Flight Deck II. Never again. Looking at the current page of FD3, I see the same old chaos regarding Updates and Upgrades.

It's your money, but I would try out the available freeware packages first - you might find that after having executed hundreds of successful take-offs, you really would like to actually land - but can't. That's up to you and your skills, of course 😉
If you decide that carrier operations are not for you, at least you won't have wasted your money.

*You might also want to peruse this ➡ http://www.simtours.net/aircraftcarrier.php Read

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

Thanks for your suggestion - the information contained at the location you gave me is very interesting.

I take your point about not being expensively hasty to acqure carrier operations. Until I'm spot-on 100% of the time I'm not likely to do successful landings, especially picking one of the wires. Carrier landings always have been nail-biting operations and apart from "Harriers" and choppers are likely to remain that way. I'm amazed that modern fast jets can be put down at all.

I remember very well seeing a USN film called "Fighting Lady" during the war that the RN showed to teenaged cadets in training - I think it had recruitment into the Fleet Air Arm in mind but I think the opposite was achieved as we looked with horror at a series of graphically-shown deck smashes!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...