Widowmaker approach at Roswell NM

Pro Member Trainee
Prozac919 Trainee

Many years ago in pilot training, we all had to fly a bear of an approach known as the Widowmaker at Roswell. I can't find this approach anymore. Does anyone know if there is a copy of this procedure posted anywhere on the internet?

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

What type of approach? ID of airport? I love interesting approaches. 🙂

I've found the ILS 21 at KROW. The Window maker was a High ILS 21. I am still looking but here is what I have so far.

http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0513/00354I21.PDF

Last edited by CRJCapt on Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member First Officer
alohajoe First Officer

Post Screenshots Please! 😀 😛

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I found the HI ILS 21 Roswell, NM. (KROW). I had a hard time getting it to print out correctly. Right click and select [save picture as...] then send it to your desktop. Then you can print the entire chart. I can't wait to fly it in the Lear 45! 🙂

http://www.clemsonpilot.com/roswell.jpg

Here's another unique approach:
http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0513/05222VDTZ15.PDF

Could you imagine this approach partial panel? 😳

Pro Member Trainee
Prozac919 Trainee

Thanks, the HI ILS is the approach I remember. I'll install the T-38 model to make it even more challenging (lousy aircraft for an instrument trainer which was probably why the AF used it).

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

That HI ILS 21 into KROW is wild! At 300 kts GS, you need a descent rate of 7000 FPM to descend from 15000 to 8000 ft. within the 5 miles alloted. WoW. 😳

Pro Member Trainee
Prozac919 Trainee

Hey CRJCapt. Maybe we should create an online log of everyone who successfully flies the Widowmaker. When you fly this for real, you get to sign a log in the Roswell FBO.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Yea, that's an idea. 😉 I think that I misread the chart. I thought that you had to cross the 11 DME fix at 15000 then the 16 DME fix below 8000. But as I look closer, you have to cross the 020 Radial on the arc below 8000. That's gives you more distance than I originally thought. If my computations are correct, that's 5 nm to the arc then 5.3 nm on the arc to the 020 Radial. So 7000 ft. in 10 nm = 7 degrees and at 300 Kts. GS would require +3500 FPM. Not as bad as I thought but still quite a fast descent.

Val85.safb Guest

i did it. Just come back from my X Country flying the almighty T38-C
3 times done , 2 in actual weather and 1 in VMC. the easiest way is coming from the holding and fly 250 but if u like challenging yourself 300 Kcas is the best way.... IDLE speed brage and 10 to 15 nose low...
not too bad 😀

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Ah, the infamous Widowmaker approach at Roswell, NM.  Unfortunately, the Widowmaker approach you mentioned is no longer in use. It was decommissioned some years ago due to advancements in navigation technology and safety concerns. That being said, I can provide you with some historical context, and a few resources that might help you recreate the approach in your flight simulator.

The Widowmaker approach at Roswell was a challenging VOR/DME approach, known for its tight turns and precise altitude restrictions, which required pilots to demonstrate their skills in instrument flying. The nickname "Widowmaker" came from the difficulty of the approach and the potential risk it posed to inexperienced pilots.

As for finding a copy of the procedure, it might be a bit challenging since it's no longer in use. You may want to consider checking the following resources:

FAA Aeronav Digital Products: While this mainly contains current charts, you could try searching through their archives or contacting them to see if they have a copy of the Widowmaker approach.
AirNav: This website provides comprehensive airport information, including instrument approach procedures. Although they primarily host current charts, you might have some luck searching their archives as well.

If you're keen on recreating the Widowmaker approach in your flight simulator, you could use the information from these resources and perhaps some personal accounts from pilots who have flown it to design a custom approach using your simulator's built-in tools.

I hope this information is helpful, and I wish you the best of luck in your search for the Widowmaker approach. If you manage to find it or recreate it, I'd love to hear how it goes!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...