MS Flight Simulator 2004 not recognising my Video Card

Anonymous Dave Guest

Hi ppl

Has anybody had any issues with 'MS Flight Simulator 2004' not recognising your Video Card?

OK, the problem is this... I start up the game and the splash screen comes up with about 8-16 colours and so does the game play. So I go into the game settings and in the Hardware settings my video card is not listed so I cant change anything. Dont Know I've tried re-installing the game and updating the video driver to the latest available from the manufacturers website but still no joy.

I checked the video cards properties and there is a list of games that I think you can use as default video settings but MS Flight Simulator is not among them. Should it be?

I've searched t'internet and Microsoft Knowledge base for any help but had no luck finding anything related to my problem. This is where I hope you guys could step in. Help!

PC spec:
WinXP Home sp2
nvidia geforce fx 5500 - with latest driver (81.89)

I would appreciate any help!

Answers 14 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

You can try to unistall you VGA.Then clean-up the drivers with the following program ➡

http://www.drivercleaner.net/

...and install you VGA without updating the drivers.(use the ones you have in your installation CD)

Let us know... ➡

I will try this but I'm not sure that the original driver is available... the PC belongs to a friend I don't see that often, I just thought I'd help him out.

Plus, I don't like being beat by a computer Angry .

FMI - Is this just a thought or is it a common problem that could cause my video card to not be recognised? Everything else seems OK.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

I will try this but I'm not sure that the original driver is available... the PC belongs to a friend I don't see that often, I just thought I'd help him out.

Plus, I don't like being beat by a computer Angry .

FMI - Is this just a thought or is it a common problem that could cause my video card to not be recognised? Everything else seems OK.

Personally i have never meet such a problem or read it here... Dont Know

BashDaBish Guest

I hate to suggest this one for fear of insulting your intelligence.

It sounds to me as though you could be starting FS9 in safe mode. Try starting it via the start menu>all programs>microsoft games>bla-de-blah etc to see if this is the issue.

Good luck and my apologies if I have suggested something you have already checked on.

BashDaBish Guest

P.S. Starting FS9 in safe mode does not load the display drivers hence it would not be visible to configure. I have just tried this to double check and I had the exact same issues as you described.

Hope it helps

BashDaBish wrote:

P.S. Starting FS9 in safe mode does not load the display drivers hence it would not be visible to configure. I have just tried this to double check and I had the exact same issues as you described.

Hope it helps

I tried the safe mode icon and even clicking the main game icon (fs9.exe) from within the programs folder and I get the same results. I'm sure I'd sort it eventually but the trouble is I dont have the PC with me.
Maybe thats a good thing 'cause I can see myself losing so many sleep hours til I win... Hack

BTW - I'm not insulted as I know some of the most common mistakes are the obvious ones.

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Does the PC have a onboard GFX chip?If so it may have to be dissabled on the bios screen
What type of GFX card is it AGP or PCI

tomthetank wrote:

What type of GFX card is it AGP or PCI

I cant answer that cause although I took an Everest report of the PC I accidentally deleted it beyond retrieval. Doh! But from what your saying... An onboard graphics could be confusing fs9 if the PC is fitted with a AGP card aswell. 🤔

BashDaBish Guest

It is very unlikely that both the onboard graphics and AGP graphics would run at the same time. You would have to assign different IRQ's to both. Generally speaking it just wouldn't work and is not something you could accidently configure without knowing.

From what you have said I would suggest the following:-

1. Uninstall FS9
2. Unsinstall Graphics
3. Run drivercleaner as advised to remove all traces of graphics drivers
4. Run a registry cleaner to remove all traces of FS9 from your registry
5. *Optional* Run disk defragmenter to move fragmented files. (good to do whilst less software on machine....quicker).
6. Ensure onboard display is disabled in bios (if you have onbard display of course).
7. Reinstall graphcs using the latest driver (which you now already have).
8. Reinstall FS9
9. Cross fingers and rock back 'n' forth

I hope you can solve this one

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Many moons ago I had a PC with onboard GFX and upgraded it to PCI GFX
and the thing would not show untill I had dissabled the onboard chip.As for newer mobos,I just dont know Dont Know but it may still be the case that some mobos you have to dissable the onboard GFX chip as it will override AGP and PCI
Its certainly worth a look

BashDaBish Guest

I agree TTT......but the fact that he was able to upgrade his display drivers indicates that the agp card is being seen so that hints at the fact his onboard, if any, is already disabled. You are quite right though, this is not for definate.

Thanks for your thoughts guys...

I cant remember what mobo it is but I think... deep breath... it is Dell PC Unsure

Acording to System Information there were no hardware conflicts at all so I doubt that if the Graphics card im trying to get recognised by fs9, being AGP or PCI or built in is the problem.

Maybe there is a registry issue, bearing in mind this is not my PC and I dont know what else has been installed on it. I do know that there is a problem and I'd love to solve it.

If I had the time I would reformat and just install fs9 and go from there, but I dont want to lose all the other stuff thats been added ie personal data, passwords etc.

Should I say sorry this one has beat me or... Im open to more brutal suggestions here.

BashDaBish Guest

My suggestion covers the registry issue without the need to reinstall windows.

Anonymous Dave Guest

Thanks ppl, 👍 I think what I'll do is get the PC home, try the suggestions you've all made and see how I get on. I'll at least have more time to play around with it.

I'll let you know if I find the solution.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...