Fly Away Simulation
SearchSearch 

De Havilland Devon crashed in NZ today

Pro Member Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Today a privately owned De Havilland Devon crash-landed at NZOH - Ohaeka Military Airport (Where the RNZAF Red Checkers display team are based) with 8 passengers on board. The 53 warbird that still in itís original grey paintjob was forced to make an emergency landing after low cloud bought it down on route from Hamilton (NZHN) to Wellington, (NZWN) the countries capital city for tonightís international rugby sevens tournament. The 9 people on board where not injured, but the hydraulics failed and a belly landing had to be made by the pilot with more than 30 years experience under his belt.

For more info and a video- check out http://www.tv3.co.nz/default.aspx?tabid=112&articleID=3484

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

Crying or Very sad
Such a nice old plane!With it's original colors!boooo.it didn't deserve that! Sad

Pro Member First Officer
john (verygom) First Officer

Lets hope the syndicate owning the aircraft can make it fly again - here is a guide to how it should look Wink Arrow

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

For people who are interested, one of my pictures I took of my first flying lesson happened to have the Devon in the right hand corner:

http://img392.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dsc022261in.jpg

Pro Member Chief Captain

WOW The same one! Shocked

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

wow jarred, that's awesome Very Happy

btw, the pilot looked really happy no one was injured. Job well done imo!

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

What more, I learnt from my parents that they knew 2 people on board the plane from a few years ago when I was playing soccer! Wink

Pro Member Chief Captain

jarred_01 wrote:

What more, I learnt from my parents that they knew 2 people on board the plane from a few years ago when I was playing soccer! Wink

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked WOW!!!Jarred,you have a family relation with that plane! Laughing

Pro Member Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Verygom , can you please tell me where I can download that de hav Devon you showed us in your screenie please?

Pro Member First Officer

Cheeky trolly - Classic British aircraft here Arrow

http://www.cbfsim.org/

Excellent aircraft with great call up panels and check lists etc. - sadly no VCs (yet) - I think you'll enjoy

Pro Member Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Thanks for the links mate,

I have just downloaded the "De Havilland - DH104 Dove / Sea Devon" from a link from cbfsim.org off avsim (http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=De+Havilland+-+DH104+Dove+%2F+Sea+Devon&CatID=root&Go=Search) under the name dh104v1.zip by a man called Derek Palmer, who I have flown with on Multiplayer Cool

The 10mb file took a long time to get but it sure was worth it, the glass cockpit rocks:

Very Happy

Pro Member Chief Captain
jarred_01 Chief Captain

hms_endeavour wrote:

jarred_01 wrote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked WOW!!!Jarred,you have a family relation with that plane! Laughing

Lol, simply a fluke I think! Wink

Pro Member First Officer

Yes cheekytrolly, the guys at cbfsim (Rick Palmer, Dave Maltby and Dave Garwood) are a great bunch who have produced great planes. All their work is to same standard as the Dove. You downloaded the same file as me - suppose you want a repaint for the 53 warbird now!
Enjoy the bird - but do n't stuff it into the runway!

Pro Member Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

Suppose you want a repaint for the 53 warbird now

Is there one available???

Pro Member First Officer

CT - Not that I'm aware or have found - you'll have to twist someones arm Wink

freddielaker2 Guest

download the updated version dh104v2.zip and see the texture difference, its really the best model I have flown. I have studied the flightdeck and its cramped and heavy on the eyes, but find if I look at the desktop photo of a dh104 from airliners.net it all fits into place, I fly liverpool to blackpool in the uk the long way round. whitegate, otringham, polehill preston bpl and its great when you 20kts above stall speed its slow and handles great.