How do you use the rudder pedals?

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Hi everyone, I got my CH yoke and rudder pedals today 😀

Anyways, all I've done so far is installed them and disable autorudder. So I have a few questions. The first is what I do I actually do with the rudder pedals? Correct me if I'm wrong but their first function is to stear the aircraft while on the ground, correct? But what do I do with them while in the air? When I push forward to the right for example, the plane (C172) veers crazily to one side. Is it something like to turn right that you turn the yoke to the right AND push the pedals to the right?

Also, any advice on setting up the yoke and pedals for optimum use would be great too. Thanks a lot, JTH 🙂

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

You may want to adjust the sensitivity...or not move the pedals quite as much. The pedals control the nose wheel and the rudder. You use them in the air with the ailerons to change the direction of your a/c.

Some people use the ailerons only, in the air, but for more precision, using the rudder helps.

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Oh and another thing, I find that while on the ground I have to push uncomfortably hard on my heels to stop the plane from toe-down braking. Is there any way to make it so that you have to real push down on your toe to brake?

Also what's the difference between "differential brakes" (I think that's what it's called) and just "brakes"? I assume "brakes" just stops the plane quicker?

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Thanks for the reply CRASH GORDON.

Two follow up questions to your reply. 1) How do I adjust the sensitivities? 2) Does the yoke control the ailerons?

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

brakes are the brakes and differential brakes are one at a time,like one differential brake is either the left or the right main gear so it makes the plane turn a bit.Perfect for takeoff-landing correction while on the ground.

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

So differential brake is a brake only to one side? Like, say I was too far on the right of the runway, would I differential brake the left pedal to go more right and straighten up?

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

If you were on the right,you would have the left side brake to go left and correct,opposite if you were too much on the right side.

Pro Member Captain
Bindolaf Captain

JTH, now that you have rudder pedals, go over the FS2004 lessons again and see what the rudder does. There is good advice and helpful diagrams there.

Basically, if you bank using the ailerons (the yoke controls those) the aircraft dips its wing into the turn and slowly starts "pointing" the nose into the turn too. However, inertia keeps the plane "side slipping" sort of. Which means that if you start a right turn at 300, your heading indicator may read 330 but your track might be 310 still. The turn is not efficient (or correct). To compensate for this, you apply some right rudder in a right turn.

How much rudder? Look under your inclinometer (the bank angle indicator, whether stand-alone or incorporated into other equipment). You will see a vertical "slot" with a ball inside it. When you start your uncoordinated (no rudder) turn the ball veers off. Applying rudder will move it towards the center. In order to execute a coordinated (correct) turn, the ball needs to stay centered all through it.

Did someone say they could fly a real plane? 😛

There are more uses for the rudder. A very important one is when landing in a heavy crosswind. The rudder will keep the aircraft on the right track, even if the nose is pointed off-runway (into the wind). You can use the rudders to sideslip if necessary and to cross the controls if - well, it is hardly ever necessary, but kind of fun, in the sim at least.

Now that you have pedals, experiment with various flight configurations, use wind and power and other control surfaces to have fun and become a better (virtual) pilot!

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

I see that Bindolaf has the subject well in hand. I'm not needed but allow me one quick hint that may help.

If the ball goes left, apply left rudder. Whichever way it goes, use rudder that direction. " Step on the ball" 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Excellent, thanks you guys for sharing your words of wisdom as usual.

I now have a good grasp of how the pedals work and what you're meant to do with them so I'm going to go ahead and experiment around with using them. Assuming I like the yoke/pedals (which I'm sure I will) I will probably invest in the throttle quadrant sometime in the future. I know that's only really needed for flying jets but I have an ambition to move on to the big boys some day!

Actually come to think of it I do have one more question. How do I access the page where I set all the null zones to zero and all that? Thanks...

Pro Member Captain
WarHawk42 Captain

Go to Settings/Controls. You can get there from the main screen or once in the air by hitting Alt and selecting options.

One more thing, when you make a turn you will normally also have to use a little up elevator to maintain your altitude. A correct turn is the coordination of all three axis of the plane, roll, pitch and yaw.

Pro Member First Officer
JTH First Officer

Cool thanks 🙂

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...