Kid in the cockpit

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Tonight on National Geographic TV (UK) at 2100 ➡

In March 1994, an elite captain on an Aeroflot flight from Moscow to Hong Kong allows his young son a few minutes in the pilot's seat. His son turns the steering column and sets off a chain of events that ends in a corkscrew dive into the Siberian wilderness with the loss of 75 lives. The haunting cockpit voice recordings tell the whole terrible story

http://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/explore/aircrash/index.aspx

Other areas check your TV guide or region

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/intl/index.html

Last edited by tomthetank on Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total

Answers 18 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Wish I had National Geographic 😞 I love programs like that 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

OMG ❗ ...what an un-responsible pilot-man. Evil or Very Mad

i watched that 1 it was a scorcher

Pro Member Trainee
MilanNN Trainee

I heared about it!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

Yeh I have seen that one only a few nights back.

It is a really good one.

Luckily I have 'SKy' TV and so I can watch all of Air Crash Investigations programs! 😉 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Wow. You gotta wonder a little bit about some people and their kids. It would make you ask though, did the pilot actually leave the cockipt or something? I would assume that he would tell his son to not touch anything. 🙄

Pro Member Trainee
MilanNN Trainee

It was i child and he wanted to touch everything.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

National geodraphic transalates everything in french for me,but i don't get the same shows. 😞 Too bad.I'd like to have seen that one.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Fire_Emblem_Master wrote:

Wow. You gotta wonder a little bit about some people and their kids. It would make you ask though, did the pilot actually leave the cockipt or something? I would assume that he would tell his son to not touch anything. 🙄

I don't think the kid was left alone, but his dad had moved to the 3rd seat at the back of the cockpit, and his son turned the steering column around which set off a series of events that crashed the plane 😞

Poke in Eye

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

I will see if I can upload a few bits later

LtBrenton Guest

Well, I'm only 15, but I've been flying about 4k sim hours in jets similar to the size of the A310, including the A310.

Basically, the kid turned against the autopilot past the 30 second limit, and tripped the auto disconnect for the heading hold. Nobody seemed to notice this, even after the kid remarked "Why is it turning?"

At this point, had the crew picked up the error, they would have been flying on.

Another problem was that the autopilot was active in all other areas, which means that as the aircraft banked past the 45° danger threshold, the elevators and the throttles compensated. Some point during this the autopilot fully disconnected.

The aircraft stalled, which the pilots recovered from, but went into a secondary stall while recovering. This lead to the aircraft going into a tail spin.

You'd have thought the pilots would have known that the correct course of action in a tail spin is to let go of everything, right? Wrong.

Apparently, they started pumping the rudder, almost "waving" the control surfaces around. All this achieved was to lose a hell of a lot of altitude, and by the time the aircraft regained some form of stability, they found they had about 300 feet to level out from a steep dive. Whoops. Clang.

The moral of this story: Don't fly Aeroflot. 😛

-LtBrenton

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

i watched that program. no warnings to show the autopilot had been partially turned off.

and was it just me, or was the kid (actor) REALLY irritating and just 'that type'?

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

hinch wrote:

i watched that program. no warnings to show the autopilot had been partially turned off.

and was it just me, or was the kid (actor) REALLY irritating and just 'that type'?

Yes he was irritating(only acting at it 😉 )

I belive Airbus changed the warnings for part autopilot

Pro Member First Officer
simon roourke (simon123) First Officer

Seen it before. what a dum thing to do. letting your kids in the cockpit .

and all he had to do was to let go. And it would of flew it self out of trouble. No training you see he did not know this.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

hinch wrote:

All kids are really irritating. 😂 😉

Oh, am I gonna get yelled at! 😂

Pro Member Trainee
HelpsJ Trainee

From Wikipedia

On March 23, 1994 an Aeroflot Airbus A310-300, flying from Moscow (Sheremetyevo International Airport) to Hong Kong (Hong Kong International Airport), crashed into a hillside in Siberia. All 75 passengers and crew were killed. The flight cockpit voice recorder revealed that the pilot's 15-year-old son had been at the controls at the time.

After analysing the flight data recorder, investigators found that the plane, which had been flying normally, suddenly banked right, ascended rapidly, then went into a rapid descent. Even more shocking that the cause appeared to be deliberate. However when the flight voice recorder was recovered it was found that the pilot's 15-year-old son, Eldar Kudrinsky, had been at the controls when the plane went down. His son in fact unknowingly activated a feature of the autopilot most pilots at the time were unfamiliar with on the A310s.

The investigators concluded that the Aeroflot pilot, Yaroslav Kudrinsky, had allowed his son to take control of the aircraft. While Eldar was in control he turned the column to the right for over 30 seconds, partially disconnecting part of the autopilot, which Kudrinsky had ensured was on properly, before giving him manual control. Though a light did come on, as there was no warning sound that the autopilot was disconnected (all the airplanes the pilots had flown did have warning sounds), the pilots were unaware of this until the instruments showed that the plane was turning right and the flight path indicator changed to show they were in a hold (where pilots fly a plane around in a circle until they can land). This confused the pilots for nine seconds.

After this the plane banked at a 45-degree angle (steeper than it was designed for). This increased the G-force on the pilots and crew, making their bodies feel twice as heavy as they were and making it impossible for the Captain to replace his son at the controls. The remaining functions of the autopilot tried to correct this by putting the plane in an almost vertical ascent, nearly stalling the plane. The co-pilot and Eldar managed to get the plane into a nosedive, which reduced the G-force on the pilots and enabled Yaroslav to take the controls. Though he and his co-pilot did bring the plane back to flight level, their low altitude caused them to crash.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

That was very helpful. Are there any other Airbus planes out there that have the feature of being able to disconnect the a/p with no audible warning. I may need to change my reservations.

Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

OMG that story is terrific. Poor passengers.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...