Why do you play FS9?

This may seem an obvious question but i was just interested to know peoples motives for spending considerable amounts of time and money on this crazy hobby 🙂
Is it to fulfil a lifelong ambition to be a pilot that that never quite came in to fruitation, do you just consider it a bit of fun or do you just want to escape the wife or possibly husband😛
Views would be appreciated

Answers 25 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Micah Captain

fullfills a dream that cant actually be realised in real life. Plus it is very challenging which i like.

Micah 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Micah wrote:

fullfills a dream that cant actually be realised in real life. Plus it is very challenging which i like.

Micah 😉

I agree. It is as close as you are likely to get to flying a real jet, and good fun! 😉

Pro Member First Officer
fourby First Officer

I enjoy the realism and the challenge. 😉
As Jon says........It is as close as you are likely to get to flying a real jet, and good fun!
Also, because of FS9, I discovered this site 🙂 I enjoy visiting/reading on flyaway forums just as much as FS9, and the members are a great bunch. 🙂)

I'm only fifteen so it really is 'as real as it gets'. I also like how you can make it just as much a challenge as you feel up to, i.e. with the use of autopilot, hand-flying etc. Plus it never gets boring what with all the downloadable stuff and different scenerios.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

I don't play FS9.

That said, I fly with it because I realize that it is extremely unlikely that I will ever fly a plane in the real world.

[quote="CrashGordon"]I don't play FS9.

I knew someone would say something like that, why is is so offensive to say that you play Flight simulator? For me I do play, it is a game after all, you needn't take it so seriously...
...Just enjoy

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

To some people it's a game, and for others it's not.

It's as simple as that.

I use flight simulator because I love flying, and also because I would love to become a pilot myself one day. I am still young and have the possibility.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

closest i'm ever going to get to flying a bigg passenger plane. i plan to get a pilots license when i'm older.

it also takes up about 1000 hours of my life untill i go skiing.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

[quote="Anonymous"]

CrashGordon wrote:

I don't play FS9.

I knew someone would say something like that, why is is so offensive to say that you play Flight simulator? For me I do play, it is a game after all, you needn't take it so seriously...
...Just enjoy 😀

I do enjoy it. but, tell me, what part of taking off in a 737 from KLAX, flying a specific route at a specific altitude and speed, and then landing safely at KPHX, seems like playing to you?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

In a thread a while back, "A game is something with levels that can be completed and the game finished, with flight simulator, you can never be finished, there's always going to be somewhere else you can fly." 😉

Pro Member First Officer
fourby First Officer

Personally, I dont take it to heart as to whatever FS9 is refered to. 🙄
some call it a game, some say you/we play it.
But I would like to give my opinion this way. I would consider say..... a pinball as a game, or say a some sort of platform game, and with these type of games I would say that you play them, and that anyone could.
But I also agree with CrashGordon......
[quote]
I do enjoy it. but, tell me, what part of taking off in a 737 from KLAX, flying a specific route at a specific altitude and speed, and then landing safely at KPHX, seems like playing to you?

Not anyone can load up FS9 and do what CG has quoted, it is a skill, thats not learnt easily or quickly in order to execute a simulated flight from cold and dark.

Thankyou 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

👏 Well put.

well whatever, the bottom line is we are all fellow flight simmers who just love to fly!!

Group Wave

Pro Member First Officer
Pro-Sim First Officer

I fly with FS for 3 main reasons;

1. I love aviation and flying, so it's related to a general interest. Ie.. I'm not just into flight simulation, I also buy magazines like 'Flyer' and 'Airliner World' too.

2. I have a high pressure job, where nothing is certain and no two days are the same. Flight Simulation takes me to a world where things are certain, a challenging, fun exciting world- but not a political world and nothing like being 'at work'. (Escapism).

3. It is huge FUN ! And gives a sense of achievement when you can follow the same real life procedures to start and fly a 747-400 and know the procedures to operate this, in a quite realistic environment. People who have spent years learning everything about flying in FS forget one thing - it does take a good degree of intelligence to master even simulated flying (especially around the complex airline add-ons like 'Level D 767' and '737 Pilot in Command'.

What many people don't realise is that a lot of people take up FS but can't pick it up (or don't want to commit to months of learning) and so give up. So you should all be proud in the knowledge and skills you have learnt! Now how many 'games' can you say that about !?

😂

Guest Ed Guest

I am a very casual sim flyer; I don't get into the realistic procedures of operating big jets and flying passengers around. I just fly because it's fun. I just want to get in and fly to where ever my imagination takes me, and maybe do a few loops and rolls along the way. 😂

I've honestly never wanted to be a pilot in real life; I barely trust myself to operate an automobile on public streets. The idea of getting a couple of tons of real aircraft moving through the sky over real people just seems like a bad idea; I know I'd kill myself (and probably hundreds of other people) eventually. Of all the ways I can imaging dying, getting hit in the back with tons of razor sharp aluminum and explosive fuel is WAY down my list of choices. 😳

In flight sim, I can do incredibly daring and stupid things, and if it all goes wrong, well, I can just go get myself another beer and try again!! 😀

But being able to fly is a fantasy many people share, especially those of us old enough to have grown up watching Superman on TV.

And I do enjoy controlling and operating complex machines; it's just something I have a talent for. I'm an engineer by profession, and you'd think I would get enough of that at work, but it's more fun to do it on my own without Quality Assurance looking over my shoulder. 😂

And I enjoy the navigation aspect. Using all the available instruments to find an airport on the ground, right where the map says it should be, after flying hundreds or thousands of miles, is very satisfying to me.

Ed

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Q:Why do you play FS9?

A:Best game I've ever come across 😀

I don't really know why i play it, just passes the time in my dull unending life.... ❗ 😞

Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

Dull life - sounds serious?! 😕

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

I fly with FS because I love aviation. When I was a kid I used to fly to Brazil a lot, and I loved to be there, inside the cabin in a window seat watching the aircraft take off, cruise, and land. Since that day, I´ve found a new dream and now that dream is still alive and I´m sure this dream I have will come true. Aviation and flying runs through my vains. I have a passion for aircrafts. I collect magazines and miniature airplanes.

This is why I fly. I will never stop to like flying. The following quote is very true to me:

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." - Leonardo da Vinci

Pro Member First Officer
simon roourke (simon123) First Officer

i,m with Pro-Sim.Captain.. 🙄 😎

Pro Member Trainee
Prozac919 Trainee

I used to fly w/ the USAF but now find myself in a staff job (read I now fly a desk). I use FS9 to keep in practice w/ instrument procedures.

Pro Member First Officer
Aldeeb First Officer

I think it's absolutely true that the reasons why we do are many and varied, possibly the "it's not a game" factor is important as if you don't get it right it either won't work or it will be thoroughly discouraging.

I believe in my case I'm doing it for a lot of different reasons, starting with the "unfinished business" of being taught to fly "Tiger Moths" as a teenage and not being able to see it through right to the end - the war came to an end and the flying promptly ceased as the planes were withdrawn.

I've been lucky enough to be up front in quite a range of light aircraft flying around the Caribbean and now I'm able to get back and sit in the left hand seat to take on the challenge of some fairly hairy strips - try Grand Case (French St Martin), St Barths, Saba and Domica with an aircraft that needs a good bit of the runway on takeoff and landing. On reflection, with St Barths stick to STOL as the approach is not very good from one direction.

I prefer smaller aircraft, possibly up to HS748 or Fairchild "Metro" and all sorts up to that size - I quite like the "Hawk", Folland "Gnat" and Embraer "Supertucan" and where I can I fly the routes in the UK that they use - eg Cranwell, Linton-on-Ouse, Valley on training trips out over Cumbria and back - it gives me a chance to look down rather than up at them as they screech up the Lake. London (City) is pleasantly challenging. I think in truth I'm not besotted with "biggest is best" and get little pleasure in flying the likes of the 747 - in aeronautical terms it seems akin to the joy of driving a 150,000 ton Cruise ship, with their enormous turning circles.

Having said all that - it's all up to personal preference, which is the joy of the pastime.

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

I've played many games/simulations in the past. But everytime FS comes back on top.

The reason is I like a challenge and FS is very challenging and make's em come back every single time. Nothing compares to FS in my little mind. I might get the mickey taken out of me at work but they don't understand the complex understanding of FS.

I like to come home from a very stressfull day at work and then load up FS and all my troubles go away.

I started playing fs9 as a simple game,
but after a week i became an addict to it
is just something i can do hours an hours withouth getting bored
im also willing to become a pilot
but because of my age this is the closer i can get for now

I use it to practice for my flight lessons.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...