2 Minute Guide to Maximase your Flight Sim Experience!

Chief Captain
ceetee Chief Captain

The following is a "two-minute guide" by Koorby that was imbedded in another post. It has helped me and I thought it would be good to post it here where it might get the attention it deserves. Give his suggestions a try if you haven't already. You won't be sorry! Great work Koorby!

INSIDE FS9
==========
1. Set visibility (vis) to about 30mi/48km - that's the real world and this single adjustment will a) make FS2004 textures look much nicer and realistic, and b) Give you back lots and lots of FPS
2. Avoid large amount of cumulus clouds - they eat FPS. Create a new weather theme which looks nice but avoids those. If you must use real-world weather then get Active Sky 6 and install their 128x128 DXT3 MIP cloud sets - perfect solution
3. Slide MIP down to 4 - no need for more than that on your 6600GT
4. Slide LIGHTS down to 6
5. Slide 3D cloud density to 50%, will still look great
6. Turn off lens flare (pilot's sunglasses don't have lens flare
7. Turn OFF anti-aliasing inside FS9
8. Set to Trilinear filtering always
9. Run FS9 in Full-screen mode at the same resolution as your desktop
10. Lock your FPS to 25 - seriously, you won't notice anything higher and it really does help. At the worst set it to 30FPS, but I never run it that fast, because PAL video runs at 25FPS and 3.5 billion people can't be wrong eh? Movies in the cinema run even slower.

Optional
11. Optional (disable the autogen library by renaming the fs9\Autogen\default.xml to default.xml.OFF - this will make very little visual difference to your flying but gives back FPS also.

Leave everything else maxed out.

YOUR VIDEO CARD
===============
1. Set to AA to 4XS (anything else is overkill if running = > 1280x1024)
2. Set AF to 4
3. Set Sharpness to +1 (this will make FS9 visuals look spectacular)

YOUR WINDOWS XP
===============
1. Not running XP? Buy it, install it with SP2
2. Shutdown about 40-50 services you don't need. Grab a program called FSautostart, which will do this for you with tips on each setting. I have 1024MB RAM and when I start FS9 I have 860MB free. Trust me, it makes a huge difference to performance.
3. Turn OFF any programs in the tray you are not using. This includes Anti-virus, anti-spam, anti-anything. Also turn off all those silly tray icons like quicktime and countless others. They are all consuming CPU cycles and the Anti-virus will most definitely interfere with FS9 performance.

BLURRIES
========
The most common thing that can ruin your flight experience is a case of the "blurries". I see this in so many screenshots, and it's completely avoidable.

Here's a few rules to follow:

1. If you are flying low (below 5,000 ft) (not slewing), keep your ground speed around 120Kts

2. If you are slewing (not flying), always tap Y to go back into flying mode so the textures can be reloaded in your immediately area. So (a) slew to the position, (tap the 'Y' key and fly for a bit to let the textures catch up, tap 'Y' again and just slew back to the best position for the shot.)

3. Make sure your section of your fs9.cfg file has these last 3 entries in the section:

TERRAIN_ERROR_FACTOR=100.000000
TERRAIN_MIN_DEM_AREA=10.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_DEM_AREA=100.000000
TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=19 (20 for 38m mesh, 21 for 20m mesh)
TERRAIN_TEXTURE_SIZE_EXP=8
TERRAIN_AUTOGEN_DENSITY=5
TERRAIN_USE_GRADIENT_MAP=1
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_TEXTURES=1
TERRAIN_DEFAULT_RADIUS=3.500000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_RADIUS=4.000000
TERRAIN_EXTENDED_LEVELS=4

There's plenty more to talk about, but doing the above will help you enormously, make your visuals look much better and give you a big hike in FPS.

Hope this helped

Remember to check out his VOZ website: http://vistaoz.org

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Thanks for let us know Cheeky.Some of the infos are very useful. ❗

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Thanks Cheeky 👍 Very useful information there. It'll be interesting to see if it makes a difference from the settings I have now.

Thanks 🍻

Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

Good find Cheeky T! 🍻

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Thanks, used some of his suggestions, noticed a lil bit of improvement, though I have a high spec gaming PC so I had some of the settings a lot higher then needed.

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

um.. 30mi ? I can only get it to 60mi, not anything less. weird

btw, what is cloud draw distance, and what should I set it to? This one I can get all the way down to 30mi

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I have just tried it and my FPS seem to be a bit more stable and a bit higher 😳

Thanks Cheeky 👍

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

SeanGa wrote:

um.. 30mi ? I can only get it to 60mi, not anything less. weird

btw, what is cloud draw distance, and what should I set it to? This one I can get all the way down to 30mi

I can only get mine down to like 70 or so, usually I ran it at around 180mi.

Pro Member First Officer
Tartanaviation First Officer

Thankyou for this information cheekytrolly, it has been very useful in improving my frame rates. Hopefully if i can get some more RAM it will improve my system performance even more.

Pro Member Captain
PanAmerican Captain

Thanks for that Cheekytrolley 😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

👍

Thanks 😉

Pro Member Captain
Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) Captain

Great Cheeky, thanks, worked for me. 😀

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...