Oh crap! FS stopped loading, so sad.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Well this morning I fired up FS and much to my dismay, whammo, it freezes when the splash screen comes up, nothing happens, thats it. Then I have to close it for being none responsive. This is one thing I was hoping wasn't going to happen but it has.

Yesterday I finally fixed my problem I believe with ActiveSky 6 causing randomly crash by reinstalling. But when I closed FS after like 9 hours or so of running I got the blue screen from hell saying that my computer shut its self down because of something to do with memory, which had happened once in awhile when FS crashed before.

Thats all that I changed and now FS won't start up anymore, just when I thought I was a lucky one when it came to problems with FS.

I know this is a crapshoot but anyway you guys know of fixing this or do I just have to reinstall.

Answers 18 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Delete and let the sim rebuild the fs9 cfg.
Windows-XP: the file can be found in folder:
C:\Documents and Settings\your_user_name\Application Data\Microsoft\FS9
If you cannot locate this folder or file, open your Windows
Control Panel, select Folder Options from the menu Extra, select
the View tab. There you need to mark the option for "Show
hidden files and folders". Only then you will be able to locate the
folder and file.

FS will create a new one, or hold the CTRL and SHIFT keys while FS is loading.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Ok, thank you SOOOOOOOOO much, that worked, except now its lockin up when I select a flight, but thats alright as long as I can fly.

Thanks again!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Cool!

Your case and CPU fans (heatsink) may need a cleaning or you may have to clean out and reinstall your video drivers to get rid of that lockup.
I don't know how much ram you have but it should be at least 1 gig because of programs running in the background.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

I have two, well I'm flying again, just so I can save flights I'll be golden, thanks again soo much.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Argh what the F!!! I can fly fine, but NOW it freezes when I try to save files, argh, anyone ever hear of that problem?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Solotwo wrote:

Argh what the F!!! I can fly fine, but NOW it freezes when I try to save files, argh, anyone ever hear of that problem?

You are using FSpax and you've just had a new fs9.cfg made.

A thought: I manually edit my fs9.cfg because this is required to run some add-ons. If after some time I discard my edited fs9.cfg and have a new one built the funtionality of my add-ons will be affected.

Whether or not FSpax could be the issue here... I'm not sure. I would try and re-install it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

If I reinstall it will it cause me to lose any of my airlines and pilots?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I'm sorry, I can't tell you, I don't use FSpax. Have you checked their forums?
Isn't there anyway you can backup your data and later add it to the new installation?

I would look for the data in the mainFSpax folder and then browse through the sub-folders -- it's got to be somewhere. If you find the data, write down the path where you found it and re-insert it in the new installation.

Just found this ➡ http://www.fspassengers.com/?action=faq&question=14

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

OKIE DOKIE, everything is perfect, the whole saving delima fixed its self, THANK you again so much Radarman.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Ok now I have a new great problem, now when FS9 tries to load the splash screen comes up, and then nothing, it goes way, nothing happens. Deleted the FS9.cfg file, and when it starts up it makes a new file, but there is nothing in it, great stuff.

This time I think I might actually have to re-install. 😞

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

When you uninstall, don't forget this part: Note: After uninstalling the Flight Simulator 2004: A Century of Flight (Update) you will need to delete the BACKUP folder, as it is not removed by the uninstaller program.

If you want to read the whole chapter ➡ https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2795/flight-simulator-2004-update-v91/#uninstall

While you're at it, do us a favor, before you install any add-ons, open the 'Flight Simulator Files' -folder that FS creates in your Documents and have a look what's inside. Please.
Thanks - I'll buy you your favorite freeware aircraft as a reward 😀

Just remembered, you could also try this one ➡ http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0WT8CKY1Z888A1PZ3403L85TZX

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

While you're at it, do us a favor, before you install any add-ons, open the 'Flight Simulator Files' -folder that FS creates in your Documents and have a look what's inside. Please.
Thanks - I'll buy you your favorite freeware aircraft as a reward 😀

Just remembered, you could also try this one ➡ http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0WT8CKY1Z888A1PZ3403L85TZX

Thanks for the link, didn't work, splash screen pops up and goes away and then nothing. Argh, I have too many add-on's this is going to be a pain, just don't wanna lose my pilot I have from FS Pax.

Btw what's so special about that file?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

You mentioned the fs9.cfg file with nothing in it, so I thought I'd send you mine. BTW, the link works perfectly fine.
What's so special about it? Your sim won't work without it No, No!

Another thing - and many simmers find this hard to comprehend - but you cannot have too many add-ons. But if you have one add on that's not kosher, it can upset your whole FS in the most unexpected ways.
That's why it can never be emphasized enough to only install one add-on at a time, regardless of whether it's an a/c, scenery or something else. The next step is to test-drive thoroughly, put the sim through its paces. If something goes wrong, at least you'll have an idea of what the culprit is.
Uninstall it and test-drive again and see if the change has rectified the situation. If it has, ditch the add-on and sob in your pillow... trust me, you'll get over it. There are so many quality add-ons out there -- I feel like a kid in a candy store most of the time.

Wishing you success and hoping you get it sorted out 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

Another thing - and many simmers find this hard to comprehend - but you cannot have too many add-ons. But if you have one add on that's not kosher, it can upset your whole FS in the most unexpected ways.
That's why it can never be emphasized enough to only install one add-on at a time, regardless of whether it's an a/c, scenery or something else. The next step is to test-drive thoroughly, put the sim through its paces. If something goes wrong, at least you'll have an idea of what the culprit is.
Uninstall it and test-drive again and see if the change has rectified the situation. If it has, ditch the add-on and sob in your pillow... trust me, you'll get over it. There are so many quality add-ons out there -- I feel like a kid in a candy store most of the time.

Wishing you success and hoping you get it sorted out 😀

That's what I do. It takes an age to install everything mind you but it's well worth it. It's called a process of elimation (spelling wrong I know).

Try and install in the following if possible. After each install take a quick flight out of KSEA.

FS9
FS9 Update
Any Terrian addon. i.e. Ulitmate Terrian, FS terrian.
Any Mesh you have. i.e Ground Environment
Aircraft Payware first. It's easier to sort out if any payware plane is wrong.
Any Utilities you have i.e. Active Sky, FSPax

Try it in that order and hopefull it should work.

AFTER EACH INSTALL PLEASE LOAD UP FS9. SO EVERYTHING LOADS IN OK I can't emphasized that enough.

Liono

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

I was refering to this statement Tailhook...

"While you're at it, do us a favor, before you install any add-ons, open the 'Flight Simulator Files' -folder that FS creates in your Documents and have a look what's inside. Please.
Thanks - I'll buy you your favorite freeware aircraft as a reward"

I know what the FS Config does. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Oh right Solotwo, there is a mistery surrounding this Folder.
When fs9 is installed, it creates a folder in My Documents called 'Flight Simulator Files'.
We were wondering whether this folder is actually empty immediately after its creation or if there's something in it. If so, what is in it.

This might sound trivial at first thought... but there might be more to it than meets the eye.

Obviously, only someone who has just done a fresh install without any add-ons will be able to see whether anything is inside that folder as it seems that some add-ons start putting files into that folder.

I hope I haven't confused you 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Well my uninstall failed because the uninstall file doesn't exist and when I tried to remove it in the add/remove thingy it didnt' work, BUT I uninstalled a bunch of my stuff and, guess what, it now loads, neato.

So now I'll reinstall stuff.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Good for you, I'm glad it all worked out.
Sometimes I wonder why why I never get a break like that... I must have been Jack the Ripper in a previous incarnation Whistle

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...