Private Pilot's License

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

How many of us members here or guests do have their PPL or higher? Next month I am starting to go for some more lessons. Does $120 USD seem high for an hour with an instructor in a C172P? I've been saving up a lot of money just for this and have been trying to cut back on payware add-ons for FS9.

P.S. Anyone who has a headset, can you tell me about yors b/c I am trying to look around to find a nice one preferably under $250 USD.

Answers 18 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I would say $120 is quite cheap, but it is relative depending on where you live. In the UK, some places charge around £80-90 per lesson ($151)

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Michael Thomas (SteveT) Chief Captain

I might do my PPL and at my local aerodrome, they do about £100 for a lesson - either a trial one or a proper one that you can put towards your flying hours of your PPL 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

I hope to do a PPL soon but the prices are pretty high, so for now i've got settle for FS 😉

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

We I am doing my training at KMWC and the flight school is Gran-Aire. With an instructor in a 172 is $120 USD and $93 USD in a C152. I was looking at www.sportys.com and they have a lot of good flight supplies. I will most likely get my headset from there. How good are David Clark and lets say Sigatronics headsets? I know though that I will not get a Bose Headset. I dont not have $995 USD for that.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Jared,

You might be interested in this site:

http://www.afeonline.com/shop/

😉

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

I've heard that British flight schools are generally more expensive than American ones.. I guess this is true.

Also, isn't it cheaper to buy a "package" (meaning you pay for the whole PPL together) instead of buying 1 and 1 hour of classes?

Pro Member Chief Captain

SeanGa wrote:

I've heard that British flight schools are generally more expensive than American ones.. I guess this is true.

Also, isn't it cheaper to buy a "package" (meaning you pay for the whole PPL together) instead of buying 1 and 1 hour of classes?

British flight schools generally charge about £6000 for PPL packages
American flight schools generally charge about £3000 for PPL packages

...and yes, packages are a fair bit cheaper than individual lessons, but there is a lot more pressure - the package I'm doing in September is 3 weeks long, from 0 hours to 45 hours with the 7 exams, so it is a lot of work. 😉

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

WHAT. you can get the PPL in 3 weeks? I thought it took like half a year or something. God damnit...

how many solo hours do you need? isnt it like 100 or something? damn

anyway, could you elaborate on those exams? What kind of exams do you have to pass?

oh and btw, how many hours of ground school is there?

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

hey jared, is that signature of yours a real picture or is it from FS? -_- I'm serious I can't see..

Pro Member Chief Captain

The three week course is an intensive course. Most packages have unlimited groundschool in the evening after flying in the day.

45 hours minimum are needed for solo. Groundschool isn't compulsory - infact you don't have to go at all as long as you pass the test.

There are 7 exams:

1) Air law
2) Human Factors and Flight Safety
3) Navigation
4) Meteorology
5) Operational procedures and communications
6) Principles of Flight - Aircraft General Knowledge
7) Flight Performance and Planning

You also have to do a practical RT and a theory RT exam for the RT license 😉

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Hey Jared,

I'm not really familiar with flight prices in the US, however compared to mine at the Waikato Aero Club, they seem very even with just a USD $5 difference (in your favour).

My prices are per hour, so I'm not sure if yours are the same per lesson or per hour.

No doubt you would prefer to train in the C-172, but if you're going to be a little short on the money like me you may have to go with the C-152. It's your choice after all. 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Jeff Brock (jeffb57) First Officer

yeah, at my local airport, $4000 usd for a ppl sounds good to me. this includes a sporty's training course, aircraft useage, ground school, the whole shebang

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Jared wrote:

How many of us members here or guests do have their PPL or higher? Next month I am starting to go for some more lessons. Does $120 USD seem high for an hour with an instructor in a C172P? I've been saving up a lot of money just for this and have been trying to cut back on payware add-ons for FS9.

P.S. Anyone who has a headset, can you tell me about yors b/c I am trying to look around to find a nice one preferably under $250 USD.

$120 is about average I think, not high. I get mine for $115.

You can get a pretty nice headset for 250, you could even get a nice one for less. I have the Avcom AC-454, it's really nice, and for less the 250.

If you go down to your flight school they might sell them too.

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

SeanGa this is a real life pic of a 172R.

jarred_01 my club prices are per hour.Also an instructor said that I would probably train in a 172 due to strict weight restrictions. Well I only weigh 205 pounds so I am not sure.

I'll check out that head set Samintel. Also my club sell them but they will bump up the prices since they are not factory direct.

I am in UK and am same age as SteveT, could you tell me what aerodrome/airport you will be going to? Also, as the prices are £5k - £6k how do you intend to fund the training?

Pro Member First Officer
amermel First Officer

i intend to have my jobat a grocery store to fund my flight training.

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

amermel wrote:

i intend to have my jobat a grocery store to fund my flight training.

Yeah, I started the same job a few weeks ago. 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

wow, i get my lessons for only $90 (1 hour)

About headsets, i just got a nice Flight Com 4DLX for only 90 something dollars.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...