SRTM mesh and more

ProXius Guest

Hello all!

I have got the big SRTM mesh, 8,5gigs big, maybe you guys now it.
But, or, I installed it incorrectly, or it's just plain ugly...
Also I have the AEU7, but I think it's rather ugly.

So i'm asking, what are some very good freeware scenery packages for:

europe,
water,
landmass,
trees,
airports (general, just like AEU7)

And also, if someone has the SRTM terrain 8,5gigs, cab he tell me how to properly install it?

Thank you!

Answers 22 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Ugly is a bit too general. What is it that your don't like about the appearance of these two addons. That will help folks figure out if it is an installation problem, or if not, to point you toward scenery that you might like better.

ProXius Guest

Um well, for 8,5gig I thought it would be raher nice, but although i'm cruising at 10.000ft, it's still 'blurry' and not very detailed. My graphicse set to highest, and I have also enabled AA.

About the AEU7, I think the textures are a bit blurry too.
Well, the standard water is just not realistic, nor are the trees. I have traied some water and tree addons, but none I reaaly like.

So I was hoping to get some cool links to freeware upgrades 🙂

Cheers,
Jasper

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

blurry is to do with mip-map settings, have you played with them? if you can't get any clarity still then your pc can't process it - so you'll have to turn some sliders down.

Pro Member Chief Captain

You might want to post what your system specs are.

ProXius Guest

Well, my system specs are rather good I guess:

- P4 3600mhz
- 2x 512 mb ram dual channel
- geforce 6800GS 256mb PCI-e
- harddisks in RAID0

🙂 So maybe I installed the big mesh incorrectly...

Pro Member Chief Captain

Possibly. Can you post a screen shot? Then we will all know what you are seeing.

I have to go out for a couple of hiours, but maybe someone can confirm if it looks like a bad install or something else.

ProXius Guest

I'll post some shots tomorrow Wink
(it's 18:46 here, and I need to go 😞 )

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

that's pretty much the same as my pc, just mines 3.4g - my scenery is ace :s

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

as hinch mentioned, it prolly has something to do with the mip-mapping.. did you set the quality to maximum??

ProXius Guest

Well, here are 2 screens of my graphics settings.

That should be fine right?
I am making some scenery comparison shots now, stay tuned!

ProXius Guest

Allright.
standard without mesh:

with mesh:

not really a big difference for 8,5gigs 😞

Now I am going to try all my tweaks, and lets see how nbice it is then. Wink

ProXius Guest

Allright,

I installed some upgrades, but still I think the terrain quality is bad.
I forget to mention, that I fly with '0.75 zoom'

I mean, I downloaded 8,5gigs of mesh stuff, buut still it looks 'blurry' and not detailed I think.

Here's a screenie:

one more:

Who can hook me up with some better stuff 😀
I'll go check out england and the netherlands, because I fly there the most.

Pro Member Chief Captain

There are 3 possibilities.

1. Your screen shots depict a relatively flat area and so, they really don't look much different.

2. The area isn't flat and there really is an installation problem.

3. You are expecting mesh to do something it doesn't. Finer mesh has nothing to do with clarity. What it does is depict differences in ground elevation more realistically. In other words, mountains aren't as rounded off or averaged out.

Try flying over the Alps or some other mountain range and note the difference. If there is none, then you have an installation problem.

Since I am not familiar with the addon you are using, I can't be sure how it installs, but check you scenery addons and make sure it appears as active. Otherwise, you may have to use the "add area" option and restart FS.

ProXius Guest

Thanks,
It's correct, because when I fly over the alps, the mountains look very nice.
But what could I improve then to get the textures more detailed? Because I still think the textures are blurry.

When I put the 'zoom' to 0.33 it looks much better, but flying isn't that great. What do you use? abd are there some freeware texture upgrades?
(are there for example 3D trees?)

ProXius Guest

Oops, I forget, can you tell me some very nice, small routes? starting airports for example? Because I don't know much about nice flying sites...

Pro Member Chief Captain

ProXius wrote:

Thanks,
It's correct, because when I fly over the alps, the mountains look very nice.
But what could I improve then to get the textures more detailed? Because I still think the textures are blurry.

When I put the 'zoom' to 0.33 it looks much better, but flying isn't that great. What do you use? abd are there some freeware texture upgrades?
(are there for example 3D trees?)

We are making progress. At least we know the mesh is properly installed. Since I use Flight1's Ground Environment 2006 (payware) I haven't looked recently at freeware texture addons. Maybe someone here can provide you with a few links. One suggestion. When trying new textures, back up the old ones in case you don't like the new ones.

ProXius Guest

Hehe, I couldn't stand it any longer 😀
I bought Ground environment 😀
Installing took some ime, but NOW it's ready 🙂 I'll go check it out!!!
If there are more cool freeware upfrades, post'em 🙂

ProXius Guest

Noooooo! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Now my FS won't start anymore, lol :p
Some kind of error about wrong version and FSUIPC :S

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

ProXius wrote:

Noooooo! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Now my FS won't start anymore, lol :p
Some kind of error about wrong version and FSUIPC :S

Get the latest one here.

http://www.schiratti.com/dowson.html

Radar

ProXius Guest

Yeah I got it off the forums 🙂
Runs like a dream now! and it is looking much better!!
What I didn't knew, what that there were another CD in my package with FSPassenger. Cool program, but how can I pick up people? (get to the gate?)

Anyway, here's a shot with GE:

Now I'm looking for the best settings in my fs9.cfg ... what can I change?
I dropped the visibility, to make it more realistic, but what I would like to see, is sharp images, in my whole viewing area, and smooth loading times 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain

There are some threads on the subject of improving fs9.cfg, but I've been up almost 20 hours now and won't be much help till morning.

ProXius Guest

Wiieeeee!!!
Nice flying over the alps 😀 I made some nice screenshots I guess, first ones I ever, ever, ever posted 😀
comments are welcome 🙂

Please give me some tips to improve it 🙂 I now just used 'print screen' and paint 😞

Cheers,
Jasper

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...