transatlantic flight

im currently doing a transatlantic flight in a concorde, ifr to kjfk airport. ive read numerous times that people say they leave it to fly but im wondering how as every couple of seconds the atc are calling me to turn so how do i leave it without cancelling my route? or how do you guys do it?

Answers 22 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

I'm not familiar with the cockpit of concorde but on most planes there is an LNAV function, i.e. lateral navigation. On default FS planes this is the NAV mode on the mode control panel, which follows the route programmed into the GPS. If you are using a payware concorde, then youll have to program the INS (inertial navigation system) which is pretty complicted. If its freeware, then you'll probably have a NAV mode somewhere. Engage this and it should follow your IFR route. But make sure your NAV/GPS switch is set to GPS.
What panel are you using??

😉

i dont know! i downloaded it so freeware? im new to all of this

Pro Member Chief Captain

That's OK, we were all new to this at one point so know how you feel 😉

Is there anyway you can find out the file you downloaded or post a screenshot so I know which panel your using??

😉

lol tell me how to post a screen show and i will!! where is the lnav function usually?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Becasue the aircraft is freeware, I doubt its got LNAV functionality, becasue this needs an FMS, which i've never seen in freeware before. So you need to look for a 'NAV' button somewhere towards the top of your panel 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

On this panel for example....

http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&ImageID=122688

The NAV button is just to the right of heading select 😉

no thats better than mine! can you give me the link so i can download that one please! i like it better!!

Pro Member Chief Captain

Type b738cj2.zip into www.avsim.com 😉

By the way, for a real concorde panel, type concpan.zip into the website above 😉

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

What none of this will solve, though, is the problem with ATC. If you don't respond to them they cancel your IFR.

Pro Member Chief Captain

What I do is.....

Once you've been cleared to cruise altitude, the next time ATC tell you to tune to a new frequency, awknowledge it but don't actually tune your radio. When you think your near your descent point, tune to the new centre 😉

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

pilotwannabe wrote:

What I do is.....

Once you've been cleared to cruise altitude, the next time ATC tell you to tune to a new frequency, awknowledge it but don't actually tune your radio. When you think your near your descent point, tune to the new centre 😉

Hadn't thought of that. Will give it a go, thanks 😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I suggest you use the model of a Concorde from Project Mach:

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2617/fs2004-fsx-concorde-collection/

The panel for this model is under construction at the moment, but they recommend the concpan.zip from www.avsim.com which PW has already suggested. It doesn't have an FMC (I don't think any aircraft did in the 1960s, so no LNAV) but it does have an INS as PW has already said which works from sensors, and doesn't have an advanced navigation system, so may be a case of just using heading hold Dont Know

where is the NAV/GPS switch on this panel http://www.pspanels.co.uk/freeware_projects.htm

does anybody know

Pro Member Chief Captain

I can't really see becasue the shots are quite small, but by the looks of things the panel has LNAV. What is the button next to the speed window?? I cant read what it says, sorry 😉

it says

gps drivers nav1 hold and the button next to the heading is NAV1 hold

which is the lnav?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

If there is LNAV for that panel, then it will have a button for LNAV and VNAV, but then there is normally an FMC. If it hasn't then it will have just a NAV button, and should have a NAV/GPS button. If it doesn't then you will need to switch between the two using the key assignments under Controls in the menu. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

LNAV is a mode in the autopilot that follows a route that has been programmed into the FMC (flight magagement computer) by the pilot. I'm not familiar with this specific panel, but am familiar with the 737, so here's what i'd advise.

Download the PDF operations manual and see if it says in there how to program a route. If you manage to do this, a magenta line should appear on you ND (navigation display). Pressing LNAV will make the aircraft follow this. If you dont manage to do this enage 'gps' and then press NAV. Using this mode will make the aircraft follow the route but it won't appear on your ND.
You'll have to follow your progress by opening the GPS (usually shift + 3) 😉

Any other questions, feel free to ask 😉

thanks! im sure ill have a load more questions soon!

i deleted the panel it was too complicated for me! im downloading a new one off avsim.com. i dont know why i changed the panels in the first place!

Pro Member Chief Captain

OK, i've just read the manual and here's what you do to follow a route...

Go to FS route planner and select your origin and destination, along with the type of routing you'd like.
Open up your craft and take-off. Once in the air engage the autopilot and select 'GPS'. This button can be found on the mode control panel above 'lvl change' 😉

See if that helps 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

thanks! im sure ill have a load more questions soon!

i deleted the panel it was too complicated for me! im downloading a new one off avsim.com. i dont know why i changed the panels in the first place!

Ok, that's fine, it was probably a bit too complicated for starters 😉
If you post what panel you've downloaded, i'll try my best too help you with it 😉

this on
http://library.avsim.net/sendfile.php?Location=AVSIM&Proto=file&ImageID=128005i think itll be straight forward as its like the original ones! is it possible to put the panel to every aircraft?

Pro Member Chief Captain

It is possible to put the same panel for every aircraft, just copy and paste into each folder 😉

On this panel, you can see the NAV switch to the immediate right of the autopilot master switch and the NAV/GPS switch just above the altimeter. Make sure this is set to GPS and it will follow your route 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...