PMDG 747-400F

Pro Member First Officer
Nick (-Jester-) First Officer

Hey guys I just got this addon last night and am amazed by the number of buttons and dudads that you are able to press and push and switch and so on. But I have a couple of questions.

1. When I go to change the altitude on my A/P panel it only lets me go down never up and the same with just about everything else that I click/push/switch so on. Any one know what is happening?

2. Where is the NAV 1 Box in the Communication Stack? it wont let me go below 118.

3. How long did it take you to get use to this big bird Read

4. And did you actually read all the pages in the manual or did you just teach yourself? I gave it a try but its mainly charts/graphs.

Thanks in advance!

-Nick 😂

Last edited by Nick (-Jester-) on Tue May 09, 2006 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

-Jester- wrote:

Hey guys I just got this addon last night and am amazed by the number of buttons and dudads that you are able to press and push and switch and so on. But I have a couple of questions.

1. When I go to change the altitude on my A/P panel it only lets me go down never up and the same with just about everything else that I click/push/switch so on. Any one know what is happening?

2. Where is the NAV 1 Box in the Communication Stack? it wont let me go below 118.

3. How long did it take you to get use to this big bird Read

4. And did you actually read all the pages in the manual or did you just teach yourself? I gave it a try but its mainly charts/graphs.

Thanks in advance!

-Nick 😂

1. you need to right click on the MCP to change the altitude.

2. the nav radios are in the FMS.

3. suprisingly it took me one day. I am very fimilar with the FMS.

4. I summed thru most of the important parts but I did print it all out.

Pro Member First Officer

Wow! thanks for the help!

-Nick 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

In terms of reading all the manual, I usually take a flight and then simply use the manual when I can't figure something out as opposed to reading 50 pages on something your already pretty familiar with 😉

Pro Member First Officer

One more thing before I go onto a flight. I have noticed that I am completley lost when it comes to this autopilot. Embarassed

so What button do I push to climb and hold 39,000 ft? shouldnt it be just the altitude button?

second what button do I push to hold my speed?

and third what button do I push to follow my direct GPS route?

sorry about this

thanks in advance!

-Nick

Pro Member Chief Captain
pilotwannabe Chief Captain

I don't have this add-on but if its realistic, which PMDG usually is, you'll have to learn to program the FMC. I suppose you can control altitude directly from the MCP using vertical speed, and speed using the 'speed hold' but make sure you arm the auto-throttle. I'm not sure you'll be able to follow a GPS route like in defult FS crafts. You'll need to program your waypoints into the 'legs' page of the FMC and then use LNAV to follow it. 😉

If your struggling with programming your FMC I could try and give you a step-by-step guide if you like. 😉

Hope this helps 😀

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

The PMDG series of aircraft are realistic, complicated and worthwhile.

They have FMC's (Flight Management Computers) which enable the input of data to hold information regarding speeds (as well as V speeds), altitudes and entire flightplans. There aren't any GPS routes that you can follow in the PMDG 747. You need to read the FMC manual - it will contain all of the answers on programming it for flight.

Once you have done that...
Engage LNAV and VNAV at 1000 feet AGL (or whenever you are bored of hand flying after that). This will keep to speed restrictions below 10,000feet and any other speed restrictions you enable in the FMC. It will also monitor your climb speed (depending on your cost selection in the FMC) and your actual altitude. Lateral and vertical navigation controls all aspects of climb and cruising, including speed (except flaps and gear).
The autopilot is the easy part - its the programming of the FMC that is difficult to master the first time around 😉

Pro Member First Officer

wow thanks a bunch guys I new it was going to be complicated for my first Realistic Plane but wow I would never have thought it would be this real!

Thanks in advance!
-Nick

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...