US navy sea knight crash

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

Hey, does anybody know if the crew of this sea knight survived? It seems as if the helicopter was caught by a gust of wind just after missing the pad.

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

😞 Sad video. I don't know whether anybody survived 😕

Pro Member Captain
Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) Captain

Very sad, and a horrible video, i had seen that one before.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I think they might of survived,the sea knight was a water landable heli,so it should of floated,and one can see the 2 boats speeding to it right after the crash.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I dug this up:

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/archive/index.php?t-1817.html

It appears they all survived, and it also appears it wasn't a gust of wind, but the increased ground effect differential from the left and right side of the helicopter as it came into land 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Jeeze, I can't believe how fast it sank, when the mist cleared it was just gone.

Pro Member First Officer
lenin First Officer

😳 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳

Pro Member Captain
Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) Captain

I belive they did survive, that was a hard crash, but soft for the crew. I read that they were all rescued with minor injuries. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain

99jolegg wrote:

I dug this up:

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/archive/index.php?t-1817.html

It appears they all survived, and it also appears it wasn't a gust of wind, but the increased ground effect differential from the left and right side of the helicopter as it came into land 😉

Thanks!I was looking for that info.Good to hear they all survived! 😀

thegashman Guest

from the link:

"cbstd
4th February 2003, 00:02
While I can not definatively declare that this footage is old, this looks exactly like an incident a couple of years ago off the California Coast during an ship boarding assault exercise. As there has been no recent reports of CH-46 incidents at sea, I believe that this footage is from that accident.

The clues are the speed that the helicopter approaches the deck. In a normal landing, the approach speed is much lower and the helicopter vertically desends from over the deck.

In the training accident a few years ago the CH-46 was fully loaded with a raiding party of specially trained Marines. Sadly the pilots and at least two of the Marines in the rear were lost.

Scott"

Pro Member Chief Captain

😞

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...