SearchSearch 

US navy sea knight crash

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

Hey, does anybody know if the crew of this sea knight survived? It seems as if the helicopter was caught by a gust of wind just after missing the pad.

10 Responses

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

😞 Sad video. I don't know whether anybody survived 😕

Pro Member Captain
Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) Captain

Very sad, and a horrible video, i had seen that one before.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I think they might of survived,the sea knight was a water landable heli,so it should of floated,and one can see the 2 boats speeding to it right after the crash.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I dug this up:

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/archive/index.php?t-1817.html

It appears they all survived, and it also appears it wasn't a gust of wind, but the increased ground effect differential from the left and right side of the helicopter as it came into land 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Solotwo Chief Captain

Jeeze, I can't believe how fast it sank, when the mist cleared it was just gone.

Pro Member First Officer
lenin First Officer

😳 😳 😳 😳 😳 😳

Pro Member Captain
Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) Captain

I belive they did survive, that was a hard crash, but soft for the crew. I read that they were all rescued with minor injuries. 🙂

Pro Member Chief Captain

99jolegg wrote:

I dug this up:

http://forum.keypublishing.co.uk/archive/index.php?t-1817.html

It appears they all survived, and it also appears it wasn't a gust of wind, but the increased ground effect differential from the left and right side of the helicopter as it came into land 😉

Thanks!I was looking for that info.Good to hear they all survived! 😀

thegashman Guest

from the link:

"cbstd
4th February 2003, 00:02
While I can not definatively declare that this footage is old, this looks exactly like an incident a couple of years ago off the California Coast during an ship boarding assault exercise. As there has been no recent reports of CH-46 incidents at sea, I believe that this footage is from that accident.

The clues are the speed that the helicopter approaches the deck. In a normal landing, the approach speed is much lower and the helicopter vertically desends from over the deck.

In the training accident a few years ago the CH-46 was fully loaded with a raiding party of specially trained Marines. Sadly the pilots and at least two of the Marines in the rear were lost.

Scott"

Pro Member Chief Captain

😞