FS2002, FS2004 and Ultimate Traffic Questions

Pro Member Trainee
leadZERO Trainee

So there I was, 2 miles to the threshold on my approach into KMSP (Minneapolis, MN) in my King Air 350 after the 2 hour flight from KSUS (Chesterfield, MO) when a 737 whizzes over my head barely missing me. After regaining my composure I mutter something thanking ATC for that. Then 20 seconds later another 737 plows right into me in mid-air. You're plane has collided. Thank you, please play again. What a fun first cross-country flight.

Questions I have after this flight. (I'm unfortunately still running on FS2002 for the next couple days.)

1) Do you have to wait to acknowledge the hand-off from Approach control to the tower? Or could you manually tune to the tower and get your landing clearence? The airspace was so busy over KMSP I was practically on top of the runway before I could acknowledge the hand-off and contact the tower. Maybe this is the reason for my next problem. Does FS2002 only use one of the many approach frequencies listed for airports?

2) Does ATC/AI aircraft try to avoid hitting you at all, or will ATC order a go-around if you're on final and they are over-taking you in the air? I was kind of hoping to land at KMSP but with traffic at 100% I'm not sure if that's gonna be possible.

3) Is it possible to edit the flightplan FS gives you, or can you define your own flight plan? FS2002 sent me all the way over O'Hare to get to Minneapolis when there were a few opportunities that required less distance, time and fuel.

4) I get around 50-80fps when flying around normally. However, if a busy airport comes into sight with lots of traffic it drops to 9fps even if they are all sitting at the gate. I tried slewing over JFK and LAX and testing graphics settings, I get the same FPS with everything zero'd and at the minimums. Is this just an FS2002 thing or will I encounter this when I buy FS2004? I can't imagine my system specs are the problem, I have a P4-3ghz w/HT, 1gb RAM and a Radeon 9800 Pro. I've heard people say they get reasonable frame rates with traffic at 100%, is it that they are on FS2004 and the engine in FS2004 is more able to handle the volume experienced in UT?

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

1-I would tune the tower and ask for clearance.

2 & 3- I don't know about the MS flight plan but their is (I run "UT" in 2004) some type of aircraft avoidance system, although I have a screen shot of an airliner (too close to tell what type) almost hitting me, yes I was going into traffic (hey it's fun).

4- I run "UT" and GA-Traffic both at 100% and I take major hits at busy airports, 8fps at noon at KSEA (SeaTac) but once in the air all is ok.
I have a 9800 Pro also, only a P-4 1.5gig, 512mb Rambus.

2004 (FS9) will tax your system much more than 2002 will, it's more graphic intensive. I doubt that you will get those high readings when flying, unless your very high and away from ground scenery.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
leadZERO Trainee

There seems to be some sort of traffic avoidance in 2002 but it might not be as advanced as 2k4. I know I was slewing/watching traffic in JFK and one of the exits to a runway seemed to be messed up because planes regularly got stuck there. At once point another aircraft landed and when it tried to take the taxiway it just stopped to wait on the runway. Every aircraft that would come in would come down on approach but when it got to the end of the runway would execute a go-around. I know craft on the ground will somewhat attempt to avoid you as well. But it seemed that the in air avoidance just wasn't workig.

It might also be that the ATC system and traffic avoidance have to be in sync. The ATC was so bogged down issuing traffic sighting confirmations that it might not have been able to order aircraft to expedite. Hence the reason why I couldn't acknowledge the handoff.

I'll likely try the flight again and see what happens if I just change to the tower frequency. I'm hoping either way that I don't run into this in 2k4. It would be nice to fly into a crowded airport without worrying about getting runover in the air.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

For the fun of it (I'm warped) I fly around for about 10 minutes, touch and go at KBFI at KRNT and then go back the wrong way to KSEA.
There are usually (4-6) aircraft coming in, as I land they DO go around and the ones on the taxiway (6-12) will wait for me to get out of their way before they enter the runway. If they are already moving down the runway they won't stop and go right over me.
You may say, this guy is weird but it's fascinating to see how structured this Flight Sim is.
Think about it, $55, with a $20 rebate and It has to go through 3, 4 hands before it gets to us. That's an incredible piece of software for that kind of money.
I would pay much more now that I've experienced it. This is my first version of the Sim and certainly never my last, I'm already talking (on line) to a friend about building my own machine next year because of this Sim.
Have fun, that's what it's all about.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Here is the Jetliner coming in and I'm going the wrong way at KSEA.

Radar

Pro Member Trainee
leadZERO Trainee

"I would pay much more now that I've experienced it. This is my first version of the Sim and certainly never my last, I'm already talking (on line) to a friend about building my own machine next year because of this Sim.
Have fun, that's what it's all about. "

Oh definately, I've owned every MSFS as long as I can remember. Being a poor college student though I have to wait for paychecks for "big" expenses, you know. Wink

Garren Guest

How do you actually go about contacting the ATC of a particular airport, that's not yet "in range"?
I've been able to tune the Radio to the right frequency but it doesn't affect my ATC options.

Garren Guest

Anyone able to answer my question please? Unsure

Pro Member First Officer
horrgakx First Officer

Garren wrote:

How do you actually go about contacting the ATC of a particular airport, that's not yet "in range"?
I've been able to tune the Radio to the right frequency but it doesn't affect my ATC options.

I think the sim has to pass you 'into' the ATC to activate it. You could file a flight plan to that airport (click NO when asked to position your aircraft at the start point) but that will pass you on to a controller and not the airport itself - but this would be the way to do it anyway.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...