Up, Up & Away... Finally!

AirBadger Guest

Hi all

After being without a PC for over a year now I am just about to get my paws on one again, donated by a good friend who has just upgraded. It has better specs than my ex machine which means the good news is that I finally get to try FS2004!

I won’t have the machine for a few weeks yet, but I just ordered the sim today because we Badgers are an impatient folk and I thought I might use the time to sink my teeth into the manual.

I’ve also been peering in from the undergrowth at your flytastic site to whet my appetite a little and I thought while I was busy skulking I might pick your assembled brains a little.

1/ My old PC was up to spec for running FS2002 and while I had that I downloaded a great (and free) add on which increased the amount of traffic in the world. I’ve looked for similar for FS2004 and I might be going blind in my old age, but I seem only able to find chargeable add ons for this function.

2/ I seem to remember in FS2002, that I could pretty much fly from one UK airport to the next with impunity regarding fuel. I never really flew extensively in that program, so perhaps I just never used enough fuel for it to become an issue. Are fuel levels an issue in FS2004? Will I find myself having to top up the tank between jumps and is it simulated?

3/ I ambitiously decided with FS2002, that I would learn to fly from the ground up, (excuse the pun) but I came across an odd obstacle to my plans. On one of the early lessons I found that I was unable to complete a right hand turn to the satisfaction of the instructor. Everything else earned me positive comments from him, but when it came to this turn he would never pipe up to say “that’s it, you’ve done it” and I would just fly in circles! Consequently the lesson would never move onto the next thing and in the end it put me right off!

At the time I tried using different joysticks, but all were the same. I tried asking whether or not it was a bug on one or two forums, but I either met with “Never heard of it” or just tumbleweeds as the post was ignored! I wonder if anyone here has ever heard of this.

4/ I have seen people talk about “FS9” and was never really sure which sim they meant. Since reading posts here though I think that “FS9” actually refers to none other than my new friend “FS2004”! What’s that about then?

I’ll stop there although I could throw newbie questions at you till the cows come home! Can’t wait to be PC’d up again and very much looking forward to finally getting to fly with FS2004.

All the best
Badger

Answers 11 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Free AI

http://www.projectai.com/index.php

Fuel, in the settings you can have unlimited fuel or:
Take your choice of these three ways.
1: Taxi over to the fuel pumps. Get close.
2: Assign a key to the command "Add Fuel Quantity".
3: Select "Aircraft - Fuel and Payload" from the menu (press Alt).

FS9 is 2004, 9 refers to the ninth version, FSX X refers to the tenth (Roman numeral) version.

Yes some of the lessons have bugs, live with it. 😀

Enjoy!!

Radar

AirBadger Guest

Thankyou Radarman, that's very informative.

So it WAS a bug! I knew it! "Live with it" you say? Well I guess if there's no fix then what is the choice. Are you saying that FS9 has bugs in the lessons as well? What should I be prepared for?

Thank's again

Badger

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I never took the lessons ( I fly GA by the seat of my pants) but a number of posts in the past have mentioned the same problems over and over.
They would have to go way back to FS9 earlier days.

Radar

AirBadger Guest

Hmmm… well I’ll keep my claws crossed that there’s nothing too drastic. I really like the idea of learning to fly properly from a basic training plane right up to an airliner.

FS9 arrived in the post this morning! 🙂 So now all I need is the PC. No way to rush that unfortunately so I’ll just have to be patient.

In the meantime though, here’s another quickie for the assembled brainage here at “Flyaway.”

I’ve been having a look at the site “Project AI” kindly suggested by Radarman and I’ve found the section which contains the AI traffic. But you would seem to have to also download a special installer to put these files in place.

Being a little technically challenged I am nervous of having things going on behind the scenes which I don’t really understand the purpose of. So I wondered if I have the right end of the stick on this one.

Also…. Project AI’s Traffic mods are free, which of course suits my challenged budget very well indeed. But I was looking at a chargeable Traffic program which retails at £19.99 and I wondered how much better it must be, if they can still sell it in the face of free downloads like the one at Project AI.

What would you say were the main differences between the two?

Badger

AirBadger Guest

AirBadger wrote:

What would you say were the main differences between the two?

Just to clarify, obviously when I say this without specifying what chargeable package I mean, I’m actually asking what the advantages are of paying for one generally, rather than going with the free option.

Badger

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I have Ultimate Traffic for FS9.
All you do is load it, configure it and you have instant traffic both in the air or on the ground.
It changes the sim from a quiet one to one with action...it becomes alive.
If you can afford it buy it.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

Hi AirBadger, nice to see you joining the club 🙂

Most people are very positive about traffic add-ons, so I am inclined to say that it will probably be worthwhile following Radarmans advise and buy one if you can...
The alternative, and even more satisfying, is to fly online on one of the major online networks, which I personally find even better than AI Traffic 🙂

About the lessons, probably every serious virtual pilot that went through all the FS9 "classes" will strongly recommend you take the time to work your way through all lessons included in FS9 (and don't cheat through them Wink ).

If you pay close attention to the instructor and the ground school material, There aren't that many problems that cannot be overcome, except for one, the "Instrument Rating Checkride". This lesson is actually bugged and has driven many pilots, including myself, nearly insane (Why oh why do i keep failing this checkride, I am doing everthing right!) - but not to worry, there is a good guide available on the internet that discribes the bugs and tells you how to properly deal with the bugs. With it's help, you can also pass this checkride without too many headaches, provided you have mastered the required skills in the previous lessons.

Hope you'll enjoy FS9 as much as we do, happy landings! 🍻

AirBadger Guest

Thank’s for the welcome and the bug heads up ARD-DC 🙂

I’m very much looking forward to getting to grips with this, I think that for me cheating the lessons would spoil the fun. I have other flight sims if I want seat of the pants flying, “IL2” and “Falcon 4: Allied Force” to name but two. But with FS9 I want to take my time and learn to do it properly, so that when I finally land a 747 at Heathrow for the first time, it’ll represent a real achievement. (Particularly for me, blessed with the attention span of a retarded gnat!)

Actually, “F4” is a bad example of “pick up and fly” because it’s harder to get to grips with than a greasy weasel! (I’ve never really managed it, but I’ve had fun trying over the years.)

I think I will try to buy a traffic add on rather than download one for free. But as I’m not sure how much horsepower the PC I am being donated has under the bonnet, I think I’ll go for the “FS 2004 Traffic” rather than the “Ultimate” one mentioned by Radarman.

I’ve also read that it is a better program than it’s busier sibling, not to mention a little cheaper. Of course the challenge now is finding the thing! I’ve found it second hand on Amazon for about £12, but I’d prefer a new one really. Can’t see it at all on Ebay! 😞

Still.. I don’t suppose that it’ll make much I the way of difference while I’m tackling the lessons, and I suspect that they’ll keep me busy for quite some time to come, so there’s plenty of time to find the missing traffic add on.

One bit of good news is that despite my saying previously that the PC can’t be rushed, it turns out that with a little luck I should have it next week!! So it might be chocks away early for the Badger after all! 🙂

Thank’s again for the input.

Badger

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

Ah that's good to hear, the sooner the better, right? Wink

I didn't have time last night to look up the guide I was referring to, but here it is:
http://www.ardst.nl/pics/flyaway/InsideFS2004InstrCheckride.pdf

If the Instrument Rating checkride keeps failing; have a read through it.
It's a rather extensive document, but it thoroughly explains what the instructor expects you to do, and why, despite your thinking all was OK, you still failed (if this would be the case).

It may be better just to take the checkride without reading this document first, and only refer to it when you don't understand anymore where you went wrong; this so that the exam isn't completely spoiled beforehand because you already know from the document exactly what to do, rather then, like a real exam, follow the examiners instructions, unaware of what lies ahead 🙂

Regards,
Ardjan

AirBadger Guest

That’s great thank’s 🙂

I’ve downloaded the file and saved it for future reference if and when I run into problems. Frankly if I’m allowed to get past the “right turn” maneuver this time around I’ll be a happy Badger.

I found “Traffic 2005” for £14:99 and so I went ahead and ordered it. I’m going to be in mucho trouble when “she who must be obeyed” finds out! But I’ll console myself when I get to fly in busy skies and take off from crowded airports. Wink

Badger

Pro Member First Officer
ARD-DC First Officer

AirBadger wrote:

I’m going to be in mucho trouble when “she who must be obeyed” finds out!

Rofl ROFL - bread and water until she's saved those 15 quid back on your food then, or what? 🙂)

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...