is it true that...

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

is it true that if a jet engine aircraft (e.g 747) sits on the runway with engines at full power for too long, they will tear up the tarmac?

Answers 25 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
violentviolet First Officer

Apparently true, a tv programme was showing the effect of the thrust from a 747.Tarmac damage was mentioned if it was stationary for too long at full thrust. 😎

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

woooooaahhhh. I wonder if it would be windy ❓ ROFL

Pro Member First Officer

2 engines on a 747 at full thrust will easily relocate a family car by about 50 feet.The tv show in question was a BBC motoring show called "TOP GEAR". A Ford Mondeo got blasted around 50 feet back,you can only imagine what it did to a Citroen 2CV!!! 😎

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

oh yeah i remember that! 🙂
all i have to say is,poor car
😉

Pro Member First Officer

was that a "poor car" for getting toasted,or just a"poor car"as in crap car. 😎

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

both! 😀

Pro Member First Officer

One of the coolest things i've seen was at work one night i was driving along the perimiter fence at prestwick airport.A 747 cargo plane was taking off in the wet,and it's only then that you can see the power of those 4 engines.at one point you couldn't see the lights of the terminal building,it was awsome,...the noise too as the road i was on is about 50 yards from the runway. 👍 👍 👍 👍

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

all this is very true,but if a 747 keeps his engines on full throttle for more than 30secs the engines will overheat and melt. 😂

Pro Member First Officer
Michael_H First Officer

At 1230 PM, Friday, June 2, 2006 at LAX. American Airlines Boeing 767 doing a high power engine run had a #1 engine HPT failure. HPT let go and punctured left wing, #2 engine, peppered fuselage and set fire to the aircraft. The turbine disk exits the engine and slices through the aircraft belly and lodges in the outboard side of the #2 engine.

click on the thumbnail below

Pro Member First Officer
davidmac1 First Officer

violentviolet wrote:

One of the coolest things i've seen was at work one night i was driving along the perimiter fence at prestwick airport.A 747 cargo plane was taking off in the wet,and it's only then that you can see the power of those 4 engines.at one point you couldn't see the lights of the terminal building,it was awsome,...the noise too as the road i was on is about 50 yards from the runway. 👍 👍 👍 👍

Prestwick is great, it's amazing to be so close to the aircraft!

Pro Member First Officer
antone First Officer

davidmac1 wrote:

Prestwick is great, it's amazing to be so close to the aircraft!

It's true. I still enjoy flying into Prestwick (or driving by) though these days most of the flying would be on Ryanair, which takes the edge off the fun.

But I still recall that my interest in airplanes was partly started by watching my grandfather fly off to Canada in a 747 from Prestwick, back in the 1970s when such flights still operated. This was before they gave Glasgow a licence to operate transatlantic flights. Prestwick had a great observation deck in those days, I don't know if it's still there.

He used to fly Wardair Canada, and it seems I'm the only person who has ever heard of this airline 😂

I remember back in the day,scores of parents getting annoyed because their kids kept asking for money for the viewers on the observation deck at prestwick,which i believe may still be there.And one of the good runway vantage pionts used to be at the "BAE" factory as you were right next to the active runway. 😎

Pro Member First Officer

I remember back in the day,scores of parents getting annoyed because their kids kept asking for money for the viewers on the observation deck at prestwick,which i believe may still be there.And one of the good runway vantage pionts used to be at the "BAE" factory as you were right next to the active runway. 😎Oops,forgot to sign in Embarassed

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

hmmmmmm thats cool. Maybe i need to buy a jumbo jet for air conditioning 😂

Pro Member Trainee
Prozac919 Trainee

I flew DC-10s for four years. I've never heard of engines at full power tearing up runway pavement (unless of course, the runway is already torn up and the jet blast is throwing loose asphalt/concrete chunks around). Also having an engine at max power for 30 seconds won't cause it to melt. There are temperature and time limits (ex 960 degrees celsius for 1 minute, 950 degrees for 5 minutes, 932 degrees max continous thrust). If these limits are exceeded, they can cause cracks in the turbine blades or expansion of the blades due to metal creep.

Now jet blast does pose a significant hazard to personnel and equipment that can be blown around. In the DC-10, the company I flew for limited us to a max of 50% power while in the ramp area and this was only during the start of taxi from a stand still.

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

hmmmm,arent the engines on a dc10 much higher from the ground than most aircraft?

Pro Member First Officer
vlad (tiger7881) First Officer

I know u guys talking about cars, but how it iwll affect the human behind the 747., ROFL !!!!

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

www.boeing.com/commercial/airports/acaps/7474sec6.pdf
Page 7 of PDF file. 🙂

Last edited by CRJCapt on Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member First Officer

tiger7881 wrote:

I know u guys talking about cars, but how it iwll affect the human behind the 747., ROFL !!!!

Ever saw the movie "PUSHING TIN"? 😎

Pro Member Trainee
Prozac919 Trainee

Actually, the wing engines on the DC-10 sit only about 3 feet above the runway. Believe it or not, the number two engine on the tail gives us the most concern. If you look closely at the DC-10 the engine on the tail is actually deflected down somewhat. We generally didn't advance the number two engine above idle until we were clear of the ramp area.

Pro Member Captain
brownbox Captain

ohhh, so sorry Crying or Very sad i was getting the dc10 mixed up with a learjet! 😕

Pro Member First Officer
vlad (tiger7881) First Officer

violentviolet wrote:

tiger7881 wrote:

hmmmmm, i duno, dont remember, but maby its that when 2 guys wanted to have some fun and they were on the rwy when a 747 was landing???.....maby that is similar what u are talking about ??

Pro Member First Officer

tiger7881 wrote:

violentviolet wrote:

tiger7881 wrote:

hmmmmm, i duno, dont remember, but maby its that when 2 guys wanted to have some fun and they were on the rwy when a 747 was landing???.....maby that is similar what u are talking about ??

That's the one 😎

Pro Member Trainee
wscott52 Trainee

tiger7881 wrote:

Ever seen "Pushing Tin"? I know it's not realistic but it was funny at times.
Overall pretty much a stinker I guess but it had Billy Bob Thornton, John Cusack, and Angelina Jolie in it.

Pro Member First Officer
Spoty101 First Officer

hms_endeavour wrote:

all this is very true,but if a 747 keeps his engines on full throttle for more than 30secs the engines will overheat and melt. 😂

If this is true when the airplane takes off it has its throttle on full power for more than 30 seconds right? Then how come the turbines dont overheat and melt?

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...