Smithsonian

Pro Member First Officer
Ryan Finn (pilotguy44) First Officer

Hey everyone, I just got back from a short 2-day trip to Virginia with my aunt, uncle, and cousins. I had a great time down there.. but the main focus of the trip for me was the visit we took to the new Smithsonian Air and Space Museum.

I visited the "old" Smithsonian Air and Space Museum many many years ago as a yound kid... when it used to be located right in the middle of Washington D.C. ..but the new one (constructed in 2003) is located at Dulles International Airport (which, regardless of the name "Washington Dulles", is actually located many miles from D.C. --in Virginia)

It's literally located at the airport.. with a taxiway connecting the museum to the airport, so different planes can come in for display everyday at the outdoor exhibit.

It's much nicer than the old one.. and has hundreds of aircraft on display, from early pioneer aircraft to the Concorde. I even got to stand under the Enola Gay, the B-29 that dropped two atomic bombs on Japan! It was actually quite an eerie feeling to be standing under something that unleashed so much destruction....

The SR-71 Blackbird was also there.. in all her glory.

Unfortunately i have no pictures.. seeing that I do not have a digital camera of my own.. and my camera-phone was dead because I forgot to bring the charger on the trip Embarassed

however.. if you're ever in the D.C. area, or going through Virginia, I highly recommend making time to stop there.. it's an amazing place if you enjoy aviation history.. or just aviation in general.

visit the website here:

http://www.nasm.si.edu/museum/udvarhazy/

😀

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Captain
Germán Campopiano (Oberkomando) Captain

Great to hear you had a great time over there, my dad visited the old one few years ago, and i have photos of it.
Did you taked photos? 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

👍 👍 👍

I, too, went to the old one when I was younger. It was unbelievable then, I can't imagine it now!!!! Thanks for the story and link.

😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

wow just taking a look at the site. so many pieces of important history. the scaled composites (rutan) spaceship one really fascinates me.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

It is truly the greatest collection of air memories under one roof. I hope some day to go there, it's quite a distance from me but I can dream of it.

Glad to see that you enjoyed yourself.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

when my dad used to work for the local airport here where i live a small Vintage WWII aircraft flew in here because it was being restored and repainted...dont recall what kind of plane it is... and it came ehre becasue the airport here is well known for its aircraft restoration and painting services well 1 month later i was in UTAH fora camping trip and to visit my family out there and we went to an air museum located near HILL AFB and as we were walking through the WWII section low and behold the same aircraft that was at my local airport being restored and painted was there and i knew it was the same one because a remembered the first3 digits in its tail #...i know some of you think its impossible to see the same exact plane over 2,000 miles away well im not making it up. but i thought it was quite amazing how small the world really is. 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

👍 👍

A lot of those old restores make the circuit so they can be shown as many places as possible. Very cool.

😎

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Sounds like you had a great time, Ryan! I'm glad you enjoyed it 👍

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...