737 ILS Approach with Flaps

Pro Member Trainee
mcmxl Trainee

Today I was practicing ILS approaches in my 737. Something I have never been succesfull at. Today my problem was, as soon as I intercepted the glide slope at 140knots with flaps at 10-25% the plane would decend way to rapidly and belly land/crash 2-3 miles short of the runway.
Are my speed and flaps right? What else could be wrong? 😕

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

you want to be hitting the runway at 140 - that's almost stall speed,so if you're heavy; down you go! at that speed you'll want 30-35 on the flaps.

you want to be doing about 180knots at 10miles out, usually that's where people would intercept in a 737 i guess.

BB27 Guest

1. Don't fly with a full load of fuel. You are probably really heavy, maybe even over the maximum takeoff weight.

2. 140knots 10 miles from the airport is way to slow. I don't like to be going to fast, 180 is a little high, but right around 170 or 165 is usually pretty comfortable. You don't have to do much to slow the aircraft down, but your a ways from stall speed.

My two cents........

Pro Member First Officer
vlad (tiger7881) First Officer

I am sorry to say bb27, but i think 170 is too much...anyways listen u are crashing because ur vertical speed indicator is to low, land around 152 kts not less not higher, u can be 150 thats it, and its only whe u are heavy plane, not like 777 or 747 i meant heavy by ur weight,ok and try to pitch above the horizen, that the vertical spee would be about 100 200 thats a nic landing.

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

140 is a good IAS to aim for in the 737. I expect 170 would be over the flap limiting speeds for selecting flap 25/30?

Pro Member Captain
Doyley Captain

I fly ILS approaches in a 737 on FS all of the time and 140 kts is far to slow unless you have the flaps down to 30-40.
About 10 miles out I have usually slowed to 170 kts with flaps on 25, then as I am on the glidescope reduce speed to 135-140 kts with flaps 40 ready for landing. You extend your landing gear about 5.5nm away from the runway.

These speeds wont work with a full load of fuel or in certain weather conditions, you will have to increase your speed slightly for touchdown.

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Absolutely! I was taking it for granted that flap would be selected at this point. Min clean speed on the 737 in general 210-230kts so below this flap will be required on schedule. Normally you will maintain 170-180kts flap 10 until intercepting the LOC. Once established and you are about 1/2 a dot below the GS take flap 20 and gear down. This will bleed the speed back to approach speed. As you will balloon slightly due to the increased lift on selection of flap this will put you on the glide.....or close to! Descend on the ILS when 3 greens indicated take flap 30 or 40 if required and complete landing checks ensuring you are at the right speed also you need to be stabilised on approach speed at 1500ft agl. Vapp in normal conditions Vref +5.

Pro Member Trainee
mcmxl Trainee

Thanx yall for all the help ❗ ❗ 😂 😂 I can know land a Boeing 737 on the runway. Following your advise I did it at KORD and KBOI. Of course I use A/P and ILS. Twisted Evil

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...