New Computer?

WantFSX Guest

Hi! I'm getting a new computer from Dell and I was just wondering if you guys think this one would make the cut for FSX. Thanks for your help! 😀

-Pentium® D Processor 930 with Dual Core Technology (3GHz, 800FSB)

-256MB nVidia Geforce 7300LE TurboCache

-2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 2DIMMs

-160GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/ 8MB cache

-Dual Drives: 16x DVD-ROM Drive + 48x CD-RW Drive

-19 inch E196FP Analog Flat Panel

-Integrated 7.1 Channel Audio

-Windows Vista™ Capable

-Starter Entertainment Pack -Basic digital Music, Photo, and Casual Gaming

-NETGEAR WG111T 108 Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 Adapter

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

It looks good. Although I am not a big fan of wireless USB. I've never seen the need for it. But that's just my opinion.

One more thing. Go for a DVD-R/W drive. Backing up things is taking more space these days.

just browsing Guest

Unless MS has specified that FSX (Vista obviously will) will support dual core processing then it looks fine, if FSX wont' support dual core then you are better off getting a faster clocked single core processor... (I am assuming that FSX is your priority application here as most future apps will take advantage of multi-core units).

I would probably go for a single-core and beef up on the video card.

I'm currently running a single-core (AMD) @ 3.8GHz with 2GB RAM and a NVidia 7800GT and that just manages to keep over 30fps around congested places like Hong Kong etc at full detail.

My guess is that FSX will require higher specs to be run @ full detail and it looks like it will also run at higher resolutions (about time if you've ever played FS9 on a large screen). Also remember that for single-core applications a 3.2GHz pentium 4 will beat a 3.0GHz Dual-core. Just my 2CW.

WantFSX Guest

Well, I'm thinking about changing my video card from a 256mb nVidia GeForce 7300LE Turbo Cache to a 256mb PCI Express x16 (DVI/VGA?TV-out) NVIDIA GeForce 6800. I was told that this card handeled 3d games much better. Thanks for your suggestions!

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

Aaaaarrrrgggg.I ha the EXACT same idea for a new pc.Look#s like we'll have twin pc's 😀 .

WantFSX Guest

Hahahaha, well, I hope our PC's will work out. The only thing that scares me now is that I may have to replace the video cards because of the whole DX10 deal....I hope 2gb of ram and a 3.0ghz dual core is enough!

WantFSX Guest

Ok, here's what I was thinking. Instead of getting a nice graphics card right now(I would still be getting a 128mb one) ....I would get a nicer DX10 compatible graphic card later on. Do you think this is a good move?? Thanks!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

WantFSX wrote:

Ok, here's what I was thinking. Instead of getting a nice graphics card right now(I would still be getting a 128mb one) ....I would get a nicer DX10 compatible graphic card later on. Do you think this is a good move?? Thanks!

Wait for the DirectX 10 cards, just get one to carry you over until then. That's what I'm going to do with my new machine.

Radar

WantFSX Guest

Thanks! I definatley agree, why spend the money now if Im only gonna have to upgrade later....

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...