AK Backcountry Airstrips

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

I am looking for some Backcountry Airstrips in Alaska; or ones that are very hard to access; or ones that are in pretty, or extream locations.
If anyone knows of site to find some at, or know of any, please let me know.
Thanks

Answers 9 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

you mean like ones that Bush Pilots use?

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

yeah

Pro Member Chief Captain

im sorry i havent seen any but i take a good look sounds fun

Pro Member Chief Captain

go to www.fsdome.com search database then FS9 scenery, then type Bush pilot airstrips of alaska and it has a few

Guest Ed Guest

One of my favorites is Kantishna Airport (5Z5). It is within Denali National Park, about 75 miles north of the mountain. It's set down in a valley, so there's really only one way in-- you come in going east and go out flying west. The other way is blocked by mountains.

I have been there in real life; several years ago my wife and I took a vacation at the Denali Backcountry Lodge, which is nearby. We walked to the airport by following the road and the stream (both of which are accurately represented in FS09), just a fraction of a mile. Along the stream we saw wolf tracks, and lots of evidence of moose.

Besides being a fun place to take off and land, it's a good place to start an exploration of the mountain (Denali, or Mount McKinley to you 'Mericans) itself. That's easy to find; just take off and head south-- it's the only thing around that's 20,000'+ tall! Fly at 19,900', and you can't miss it!

Ed

Pro Member Chief Captain

there are some at Hovercontrol

when you go there click HC Scenery and some of those Siesmologly Scenery Files are for bush Pilots in Alaska and Canada

Pro Member First Officer
Canyon (NoWorries) First Officer

Skagway PAGY to Haines PAHN...not particullary hard, only 15 miles apart, but pretty neat none-the-less.

Pro Member Captain
Sam (SamIntel) Captain

Thanks everybody. 😀 😀

Guest Ed Guest

NoWorries wrote:

Skagway PAGY to Haines PAHN...not particullary hard, only 15 miles apart, but pretty neat none-the-less.

I have flown in and out of Haines in real life, too. We flew there from Juneau in some kind of a four seat, high-wing aircraft several years ago. We went to Alaska in the middle of winter that time, because there are a lot fewer tourists then. 😂

The flight up the Tracy Arm (the body of water between Juneau and Haines) was very cool. There are glaciers in the mountains on either side, and they stand out because the ice is a very distinctive color of blue. The glaciers don't come down to the sea, though, so they are called "hanging glaciers."

We went to Haines to see bald eagles. The latest salmon run of the year is the river near Haines, so that's where all the eagles hang out. There were an estimated 800 eagles in the valley when we were there, but the ranger said "Oh, you should have been here a couple of weeks ago. There were thousands!"

Ed

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...