MS FSX REALISM

Someone in here a Pilot? Could someone please give me some info on how realistic MS Flight Simulator really is?

Answers 8 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

realistically enought to have a 83 000 person user website dedicated to only that game.
no,It's exremely realistic.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Considering that the original poster asked how accurate FSX was, and since FSX hasn't been released, I don't see how the question can be answered.

Pro Member Trainee
CJJeeper78 Trainee

Microsoft Flight Simulator has the potential to be an extremely useful training tool, however, it is up to the user to get the most out of flight simulation. As far as aircraft systems and performance are concerned, the simulator is almost dead-on. There are a few things that may take you by surprise when you actually fly, such as the VOR response and turn coordination. In the Cessnas I fly, P-factor, spiral slipstream, and gyroscopic forces are much more pronounced than the simulator would lead you to believe. I find that flying straight requires a constant pressure on the right rudder pedal and left turns never require left rudder, only less right rudder. Since we, as humans, interact with the world through our senses, the seat-of-the-pants sensation you experience in real life is obviously lacking in simulation, so you don't really feel what a gusting crosswind feels like, but you can at least see what it looks like. In conclusion, MSFS is an outstanding tool for developing muscle memory, BAI flight skills, and learning all there is to know about the technical aspect of flight. A user who is a skilled PC Pilot should have no trouble sitting down behind the yoke of a 152 and flying a pattern.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

CJJeeper78 wrote:

Microsoft Flight Simulator has the potential to be an extremely useful training tool, however, it is up to the user to get the most out of flight simulation. As far as aircraft systems and performance are concerned, the simulator is almost dead-on. There are a few things that may take you by surprise when you actually fly, such as the VOR response and turn coordination. In the Cessnas I fly, P-factor, spiral slipstream, and gyroscopic forces are much more pronounced than the simulator would lead you to believe. I find that flying straight requires a constant pressure on the right rudder pedal and left turns never require left rudder, only less right rudder. Since we, as humans, interact with the world through our senses, the seat-of-the-pants sensation you experience in real life is obviously lacking in simulation, so you don't really feel what a gusting crosswind feels like, but you can at least see what it looks like. In conclusion, MSFS is an outstanding tool for developing muscle memory, BAI flight skills, and learning all there is to know about the technical aspect of flight. A user who is a skilled PC Pilot should have no trouble sitting down behind the yoke of a 152 and flying a pattern.

😀 👍 👍 👍 😀 You're right.

how do you get an airplane to spin ?

Pro Member First Officer
Tartanaviation First Officer

Idle the throttle. Keep applying back pressure so that the Airspeed decays and the wings stall. Have some flap on as well. In this configuration there is a tendancy for a wing to drop, thus a spin will occur.

As for the topic conversation itself the simulator is and isnt realistic in various ways. If you fly with realism settings at max then the simulator is realistic for the small aircraft. As for the big jets it is not very realistic unless you invest in something like PMDG. MFS is good for teaching the basics and simple flying techniques. It does not, however, elaborate on these techniques or alot of the principles on which the work.

Pro Member First Officer
lionlicker First Officer

I would be happy if the relationships between all the basic variables - such as:-
IAS indicated airspeed / TAS true airspeed 'given Temp/Press/Height
Power and acceleration 'given weight/throttle/temp/press/height
Fuel consuption 'given all the above and config of aircarft etc - etc - etc
- - - - WITHOUT GOING INTO ALL OF THEM - - - -

..... were true to reality, - or near enough.

Is this generaly accepted to be the case?

For example: If I begin a descent from 24000 ft in a certain aircraft - by putting the throttle back to idle, and setting the autopilot fpm to -3800, and then notice that the sim aircraft reaches equilibrium at 170 IAS - as I pass down through 22000 ft - .... .... would a real life aircraft of the same weight/config/atmosphere .... do the same thing?

lionlicker wrote:

For example: If I begin a descent from 24000 ft in a certain aircraft - by putting the throttle back to idle, and setting the autopilot fpm to -3800, and then notice that the sim aircraft reaches equilibrium at 170 IAS - as I pass down through 22000 ft - .... .... would a real life aircraft of the same weight/config/atmosphere .... do the same thing?

YES

this flight simulator program has been around for 25 years. You would think they know a thing or two about simulation.

btw, what you described is NOT difficult to do. There is a formula that link all the variable together. Like a rubic's cube, you move one face, all the color associated with the pane are affected.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...