Towards Airports

Danny9006 Guest

Ok so when I'm flying towards my destination and i have the airport in sight and i'm about 30nm away what are the procedures next to line the plane up with the runway but still keeping a good distance for the approach? I usually end up right on top of the airport when using gps navigation, i have set up the approaches and vectors in the gps but it doesnt seem to follow them properly to line me up infrnt of the runway can someone tell me what i should be doing to get aligned up as i get close to the airport?

thanks

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Are you using the autopilot to align you with the runway vectors? If you navigate so you are generally in a good direction for the runway you want to land on, then you won't need to turn as much. Try and make any turns at a slow speed and as far from the airport as possible so when you come to be 10nm from the airport, you are near enough lined up.

You can also follow ATC's instructions and if you are at a slow speed, then you should be lined up nicely.

😉

Danny9006 Guest

Yes I use the autopiolt, how do i know when i am aligned and ready for the descent? When it follows the GPS it usually doesnt even fly to the vectors or line me up. I see a purple and then white line, whioch one is the beginning of the runway?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Danny9006 wrote:

Yes I use the autopiolt, how do i know when i am aligned and ready for the descent? When it follows the GPS it usually doesnt even fly to the vectors or line me up. I see a purple and then white line, whioch one is the beginning of the runway?

You need to have the GPS/NAV switch set to GPS and then engage the NAV button on the AP. The aircraft will then position itself to vector to the pink or white line - whichever one is further out. When the picture of the aircraft on the GPS is over the pink line or white line then you are aligned and should be at around 3000ft. You should be descending whilst your aircraft is vectoring to the runway.

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...