Boot problem

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

Good Morning/Afternoon or Evening,

Since late yesterday my PC won't boot. When I switched it on I get the POST beep and then the bit where I can go into the BIOS comes and then it freeze's. I can't enter the BIOS at all.

I have the following
ASUS A8N-SLi Mobo
Athlon 64 3700+ processor
2GB of RAM

I can't see it being a problem with the RAM & Hard Drive as the PC POST's. I'm not to sure if the CPU or MOBO have died or something else.

Would resetting the CMOS chip help or would a new CPU be required?

I can't test any of my parts on another PC as I don't have a spare and most of my mates have Intel boards.

Any ideas??

Liono

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

It doesn't sound like your system is very old. But I think the CMOS is where your problem lays. It may be that stupid little CMOS battery. It may have a good state of charge till it actually is loading the CMOS, but after that it may go completley dead....????

I hope this helps..???

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

It sounds more like a windows collapsed than a hardware problem to me...Did you try to get in safe mode by hitting F8 when you restart and then restore your system some days back?

System Restore from Safe Mode

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_perform_a_system_restor.htm

And dont forget the basic rule.Format its a hard and painful Job but it solves most of the problems you spend days to find a sollution... 😉

Let us know my friend. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
liam (Liono) Chief Captain

As you can see from this post I have my PC up and running. The solution

Turn power off
take side case off
remove CMOS battery
change the jumper cables from 1-2 to 2-3 for 10 seconds. Change jumper cables back to 1-2
put back the CMOS battery & reboot

Works like a dream.

Greekman72 wrote:

It sounds more like a windows collapsed than a hardware problem to me...Did you try to get in safe mode by hitting F8 when you restart and then restore your system some days back?

System Restore from Safe Mode :Arrow:

http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org/how_do_i_perform_a_system_restor.htm

And dont forget the basic rule.Format its a hard and painful Job but it solves most of the problems you spend days to find a sollution... 😉

Let us know my friend. 😉

My PC dear sir wasn't booting into anything. I couldn't even get into the BIOS let alone Safe Mode and do a system restore.

I had a feeling it was something to do with the CMOS battery but I wasn't 100% sure. Anyway thanks for the replys and tips. Let's leave this post to die and disappear in the unkown depths of Flyaway.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Im glad you manage to fix it with this way. 👏 👍
Dont like too if such things happens and thanks God i have never face up with such strange and bothering problems. 😉

The fact that you post doesnt means that you couldnt post from another system in order to let us know about it and probably searching for help or ideas...
Thats exactly what i thought and thing that i had to put my suggestion here.I would never repeat such a mistake...Sorry 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...