Troubleshooting ILS Beeping and Misaligned Approach in 737 - Need Assistance with Runway Identification

Munkeh Guest

Hello guys, new thread sorry for not reviving my old one but thought a new one was appropriate.

So, I'm an ok flyer now in my old 737. I've read the stickie about ils, I set the little nav1 reading to it, select it...and...beep beep beep. It just beeps every few minutes.

And I can't use the damn thing. Whenever I land, my pink lines are all messed up, and if I follow the pink lines before landing they send me in some other direction. Not getting me to ever turn, or making me fly parallel to the runway.  I did try Ron the flight instructor but he kept telling me I was distracted...

Oh yeah and meant to ask last time - How do I know which runways are which, when atc say for example runway 6l, looked in my kneeboard but couldn't find out.

Thanks

Answers 2 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

The beeping sound your here is the audio Identifier for the ILS. Turn off the NAV 1 switch on the audio control panel and it will stop(yes, the NAV 1 will still work). The Marker beacon audio switch will also cause beeping as you fly over the Outer, Middle and inner marker, if part of the approach with the MKR switch on. Any of the audio panel switches in the on(illuminated) position will beep within range of the selected navaid with the correct frequency dialed in.

Runways are labeled by their magnetic direction rounded to the nearest 10 degrees.

Runway 3=030 degrees
--------18= 180
--------24= 240
--------33= 330

The addition of L, R, C means parallel runways:

33L =Runway 33 Left
27C= 27 Center
18R= 18 Right
Airport diagrams help also: www.airnav.com

🙂

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

First and foremost, don't worry about your challenges with ILS (Instrument Landing System); it's quite common for new and even seasoned simmers to face these hiccups from time to time. I'll do my best to guide you through resolving these issues.

1. ILS Beeping:
The beeping sound you're experiencing is likely associated with the localizer or glideslope alarms. It's a warning that you might be off the designated path.

• Ensure your NAV1 frequency is set correctly, and don't forget to switch it to the active side (sometimes this can be a common overlook).
  • Verify that your course setting aligns with the runway's approach course. This is paramount for correct alignment.
  • Make sure your autopilot settings are configured appropriately, especially the APP (Approach) mode if available in your specific aircraft.

2. Misaligned Approaches:
Pink lines misbehaving is often a sign that something's not set up correctly.

• Recheck the ILS frequency and course for the runway you're landing on.
  • Monitor the localizer and glideslope indicators; if they're not aligning, something is certainly amiss in the configuration.
  • As for the flying parallel to the runway, ensure that you've engaged the approach mode at an appropriate distance and altitude.

3. Identifying Runways:
You asked about identifying runways like '6L'. This is referring to the runway's magnetic heading divided by 10 and the letter might indicate a parallel runway (Left or Right).

• You can find this information in airport charts, which can be found online from various sources.
  • Pay attention to ATC instructions, and cross-verify them with your aircraft's navigation equipment.

The 737 model in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004 might not have all the features found in more advanced simulations, but it should be more than adequate to execute a smooth ILS approach.

As a side note, from my knowledge, most of the advice above can also be applied to the newer platforms like Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 and X-Plane 12, given that the core principles of navigation remain largely consistent across these platforms.

Feel free to ask if you have more questions or need further clarification. Happy flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...