Reliable Info

Jamie4590 Guest

After sifting through tonnes of online Aviation tutorials I have noticed that some have conflicting information. Sometimes they are blatant errors. This shows that I must always check and make sure the information is reliable. One example is several tutorials say the Concorde doesn't flare before touchdown but surely all aircraft flare before touch down because the flare in itsself is a manouver and acts as a reminder for other landing procedures such as resetting trims. In another tutorial its said that prior to landing and with a pitch of about 13 degrees the Concorde pilot is reminded to look at the far end of the runway during the flare and not the area lit by the landing lights.

Unlike other aircraft that change pitch as they flare the Concorde keeps the nose up 13 degrees until the main wheels touch. Does this constitute no flare?

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

If you see pictures of Concorde landing, you'll see that yes, they do land at a very high pitch up attitude - probably due to the delta wing design.

Whether that constitutes a flare is another question. On approach the pitch up attitude also seems to be quite high which would suggest that it isn't a flare which occurs just before landing. However, it could be seen as a flare because its purpose is similar - to decrease the negative VS to a reasonable level.

In my opinion, the Concorde doesn't flare due to the fact that it isn't a conventional aircraft so is unlikely to have similar checklists and rules to completely different aircraft. Also, if it states specifically that a pitch up attitude of 13 degrees should be adopted then it sounds too rigid to be a flare. In Boeing and Airbus aircraft, there is no dictated flare minima to adhere to. It doesn't really matter what its called, as long as you perform it correctly, in my view.

😉

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Just wanted to add to Jon's as usual informative post that Concorde does not have flaps. Flaps essentially allow the ac to fly slower but still safely. In Concordes case it maintains a relatively high approach speed and in order to bleed the speed prior to touchdown a high pitch attitude must be adopted to create the extra drag required to slow down.

Just a guess 😉

Having reread your post when landing initially you focus on the TDZ but in the flare look to the end of the runway. Having not been one of the fortunate few who flew Concorde I am unsure about the flare but expect there must be a flare to check ROD.

Jamie4590 Guest

Thanks guys. Just to correct my original post the pitch attitude on landing should be around 10.5 degrees and not 13.5 degrees I stated. 13.5 degrees is the pitch the Concorde is rotated to on take off.

spuddi Guest

as stated earlier concord does not flare.

a flare is an increase of pitch just before touch down to decrease the rate of descent and also the airspeed.

concord comes in at a fixed pitch slowing down all the time. it maintans this pitch all the time until it "flys into" the runway. if the pilot has judged the approach correctly his speed must be correct by the time he hits the runway (he is unable to perform a flare just prior to landing to kill off any excess speed because he is already at a very high pitch angle).

due to the high level of pitch required he cannot see the touch down point at the point that he is just about to land, so once he crosses the threshold he looks foward to the far end of the runway (abit like when you are parachuting you look forwards not down in the final few seconds).
another issue that they had with the high pitch angle required at landing is the fact that the pilot would be staring up not forwards, hence them making the nose lower to allow for the foward view.
the whole issue arises from the shape of the wings.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...