liam (Liono) Chief Captain

Which do you use to connect to the WWW

Here's a bit of info

Advantages of changing from USB to Ethernet
Introduction

There are two methods of connecting a cable modem or Set Top Box to a PC:

USB (Universal Serial Bus)
Ethernet (Network Card)

Using an Ethernet connection instead of USB as there are many benefits including:
Faster downloads
Quick and easy to set up
Recognised to be a proven and dedicated connection method
Reliable
Better PC performance
Compatible with Home Network equipment
Background information
USB is used as a connection method for many different devices, including joysticks, printers, scanners, mice, etc.

Network cards (also known as Ethernet cards, or NIC's) have been on the market since 1982, whereas USB is relatively new, from 1995 onwards.

Whereas USB can be used to connect many different devices to your computer, Ethernet is designed specifically for connecting to a network, and has proven to be far more reliable than a USB connection.

Answers 34 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Ethernet for me.

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

Ethernet here. Using USB for networking is like using a cell phone for photography. Most computers today, come with an ethernet card.

Pro Member Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

Ethernet here. Using USB for networking is like using a cell phone for photography. Most computers today, come with an ethernet card.

ROFL ROFL

I started with USB as my first broadband with AOL only came with USB connection was poor as I had a few other things connecting through the USB ports and it was a pain in the Ass .

Know I use the Ethernet and the whole thing is much much much better.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

Ethernet everytime, USB is just rubbish at networking

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Ethernet, USB isn't made for fast internet connections as crash said.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Ethernet for TTT

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

USB. -- Do I have a choice riding an old, toothless camel without a hump?
In other words Dial-up. Hack

Pro Member Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

Tailhook my heart really bleeds for ya. I know how it feels man. Just asking why haven't you upgraded to the wonderfull land of broadband?

Pro Member First Officer
Ed Reagle (edr1073) First Officer

WIFI (Belkin) USB WIFI network card. It isn't bad at all. A little expensive at first. But I can always go back to LAN.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I have a Linksys ethernet router with 4 wired ports and WiFi "g". it cost all of $29.95

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Liono wrote:

Tailhook wrote:

Tailhook my heart really bleeds for ya. I know how it feels man. Just asking why haven't you upgraded to the wonderfull land of broadband?

Broadband...? What's Broadband?
I've heard that some changes have to be made to the infrastructure in order to provide such services to the public.
Politics is involved. At the moment our politicans are still busy deciding who should get a payrise after the next elections. I refuse to pay for "would-be broadband". I travel, I compare prices and speeds and I'm disgusted Evil or Very Mad

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

Tailhook wrote:

Liono wrote:

Tailhook wrote:

Broadband...? What's Broadband?
I've heard that some changes have to be made to the infrastructure in order to provide such services to the public.
Politics is involved. At the moment our politicans are still busy deciding who should get a payrise after the next elections. I refuse to pay for "would-be broadband". I travel, I compare prices and speeds and I'm disgusted Evil or Very Mad

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Very true Tailhook, I love your political related posts! 😉

Ethernet for me, even on our very slow broadband connection.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

jarred_01 wrote:

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Very true Tailhook, I love your political related posts! 😉

Ethernet for me, even on our very slow broadband connection.

Sssshh... Secret my posts are never related to politics... don't even know what 'politics' means Read

Whistle

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

Sssshh... Secret my posts are never related to politics... don't even know what 'politics' means Read

Whistle

😂

...and ethernet here 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

From the responses above I gather that "Ethernet" implies "Networking". Am I correct in my assumption?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

From the responses above I gather that "Ethernet" implies "Networking". Am I correct in my assumption?

Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet 👍

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Thanks Radarman, I got that right.

So now I'm asking myself why should I use a 'Networking Card' unless I am doing 'networking'?

...or am I already 'networking' or being 'networked' without being aware of it?

I'm serious. Dont Know

Pro Member Chief Captain
Insight Chief Captain

by connecting to the internet you are networking. 🙂

I used to use a USB connection for my cable modem but found that my PC used to get upset if the net connection for my cable went down - my PC used to hang and slow down and do all sorts of nasty things.

I switched to the Ethernet connection which is much more stable and designed for the job of passing network traffic, USB is more designed at interfacing with peripherals or data storage devices at slower rates.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

This means I've been 'networking' now for years without being aware of it Wall Bashing

I've used an external modem for the last few years and would like to continue doing so.
Is it possible then to get a broadband ethernet connection - using an external modem?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

This means I've been 'networking' now for years without being aware of it Wall Bashing

I've used an external modem for the last few years and would like to continue doing so.
Is it possible then to get a broadband ethernet connection - using an external modem?

Of course it is.(if i get your question right)

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

If you don't understand the question, please ask for clarification.

I'll rephrase it: Are external ethernet modems available.
If so, why would I have to install an additional PCI card to connect it?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

If you don't understand the question, please ask for clarification.

I'll rephrase it: Are external ethernet modems available.
If so, why would I have to install an additional PCI card to connect it?

Yes they are avaliable.
If you motherboard gives you an Ethernet port(which if i remember well your MOBOs type,you have Ethernet port)there is no need to use anykind of interface card.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Thanks GM.

These are some of the ports on my mobo:

*Parallel port
*LAN 2 (RJ-45) port
*LAN 1 (RJ-45) port
*IEEE 1394a port
*Optical S/PDIF out port
*Coaxial S/PDIF out port

I haven't listed USB ports or Microphone ports etc.

Which of the above would be my 'Ethernet' port?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

Thanks GM.

These are some of the ports on my mobo:

*Parallel port
*LAN 2 (RJ-45) port
*LAN 1 (RJ-45) port
*IEEE 1394a port
*Optical S/PDIF out port
*Coaxial S/PDIF out port

I haven't listed USB ports or Microphone ports etc.

Which of the above would be my 'Ethernet' port?

The Lan(Local Area Network) ports are your Ethernet ports.RJ-45 is the connectors type(something familiar with this we use for our phone line but a litle bigger and with different wiring.)

Remember that if you have the luck to use a Broadband connection you probably have to install the Ethernet port drivers from your MOBOs drivers CD.

Last edited by Greekman72 on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

Greekman72 wrote:

Remember that if you have the luck to use and Broadband connection you probably have to install the Ethernet port drivers from your MOBOs drivers CD.

Bow Down Thanks a lot GM 🍻

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Always a pleasure. 😉

Pro Member Captain
jarred_01 Captain

While I can't help you too much on the technical side of things Tailhook, what I can tell is that our broadbrand connection runs on an ethernet external modem. 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

jarred_01 wrote:

While I can't help you too much on the technical side of things Tailhook, what I can tell is that our broadbrand connection runs on an ethernet external modem. 😉

I appreciate that Jarred, that's what had me really confused in the beginning. The ISP I checked out (and the page had been updated), kept talking about a PCI card that had to be added if you wanted ethernet via an external modem.
Little did I know that they had in mind the majority of customers who's PCs are too old to have an inbuilt ethernet port.
Greekman72 was kind enough to take the time to read my post and disperse my confusion. 👍

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

Well I use the good (and sometimes bad) ethernet connection.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Jared wrote:

Well I use the good (and sometimes bad) ethernet connection.

Why bad dear Jared?You have some bad personal experience?

Pro Member Captain
Jared Captain

Well I have SBC Yahoo DSL and its good most of the time. Other times, it can go soooo slow and it won't work and some other things.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

Ethernet... 😀 oh,and i wanted to tell you,I just found out that in paris a special www connection company uses fibreglass wire so that the connections are something 10-20 times faster than the fastes adsl! 😳 But because of the costs and fragileness of fibreglass they only work in paris... 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain

hms_endeavour wrote:

Ethernet... 😀 oh,and i wanted to tell you,I just found out that in paris a special www connection company uses fibreglass wire so that the connections are something 10-20 times faster than the fastes adsl! 😳 But because of the costs and fragileness of fibreglass they only work in paris... 🙄

Optical fiber cable is nothing new. Well, maybe it is new in France, from what you say. It was even used in rural parts of Arizona before I left to return to the civilized world. 😂

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

oh.it's new for me.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...