Be Warned, Be Very Warned..............

Pro Member First Officer
Wing-man First Officer

I dont know if this has happened to anyone else, (hope not) but right now, totally PI**ED OFF is an understatement.
I had problems installing the FSX demo, but with help from members, I managed to install it, my firewall was causing the problem.
Last night, I decided to uninstall the FSX demo, only taking up disk space anyway, no problems removing it, or so I thought.
This morning, I tried to fire up FS9 and got this message...........

Thinking this was a little odd, and looking at my FS9 folder, I've discovered that, after removing the FSX demo, more than half of my FS9 folders have gone also, this is whats left.............

I'm shocked and stunned, reinstalling FS9 is no big deal, but having to load up all my payware and add-ons again Wall Bashing Wall Bashing Wall Bashing Wall Bashing Wall Bashing Wall Bashing Wall Bashing Wall Bashing Wall Bashing Wall Bashing

I know that the FSX demo is at early stages, I was'nt overjoyed with it though, and because of what has happened to my FS9, Microsoft can stick FSX where the sun dont shine. Yes

I better get busy reinstalling.

Answers 16 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

😳 Strange, I deleted FSX aswell and didn't have any problems.

Good luck with the reinstallation - I hope it goes without problem for you 👍

Pro Member First Officer
lenin First Officer

i gog damn hate it when that happens! I have so many downlaods that i will surely not remember them all. Lucky i have them all saved in a temp folder somewhere wich isn't really temporary anymore lol

MEYLAN Guest

Thanks for the warning

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

By any chance, did you run any program that "fixes" the registry after you installed the demo?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Did you use the uninstall or the control panel.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

By any chance, did you run any program that "fixes" the registry after you installed the demo?

I ran Registry Booster ( http://www.liutilities.com/products/registrybooster/ ) whilst I had FSX demo installed (which isn't now) if that makes a difference to proceedings.

😉

Pro Member Chief Captain

99jolegg wrote:

CrashGordon wrote:

I ran Registry Booster ( http://www.liutilities.com/products/registrybooster/ ) whilst I had FSX demo installed (which isn't now) if that makes a difference to proceedings.

😉

I just suspect that there was a registry entry that pointed to the wrong directory. How it got that way is open to debate. The registry was never designed to be human-readable. 😞

Pro Member First Officer
Wing-man First Officer

CrashGordon wrote:

I did'nt no CG, I suspect that what you said in your next post could be the culprit.............
"I just suspect that there was a registry entry that pointed to the wrong directory. How it got that way is open to debate. The registry was never designed to be human-readable".

RadarMan wrote:

Did you use the uninstall or the control panel.

The control panel.

I have FS9 reinstalled now, but it will take me awhile for my add-ons etc.
Anyway, lesson learnt I suppose. 🙄

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

I just uninstalled the Demo and thanks to your warning took extra care.

How odd that you should get an FS9 Error message when the Dem4km.bgl is obviously required by the Demo.

Though it doesn't seem to make any sense, I backed up the file in question prior to de-installation and found that there are actually 2 files with the same name - just different in size - 3,932 KB and 7,861 KB respectively, each one in a different Scenery folder.

Uninstalling via the Start Menu uses the InstallShieldWizard and appears to be doing a thorough job. It did leave a dozen or so empty folders behind in the My Programs directory - deleted.

To be on the save side, I turned off my modem and disabled my antivirus - finally restarted the computer.
Now comes the test Fear
-- fired up fs9 -- and everything is in place 😀

Thanks for the warning anyway!! Better safe than sorry.

Jamie4590 Guest

I have yet to get the demo but worth remembering. I have copied my FS folders and placed them in multiple places over two HD's. You never know!

I've just been looking at the advanced FSX package and its mouth-watering. I better get saving because I'm sure my system wont take full advantage of it.

Pro Member Chief Captain

So tell me, what was the last time everyone backed up their FS directory?

I realize that some of them are quite large, but if you use FS often, but don't back it up, who can you blame but yourself, when something goes wrong.

WantFSX Guest

I think I'm just going to burn a Dbl. Layer DVD of all the Fs2004 files I have.

Pro Member Chief Captain
VegasFlyer Chief Captain

CrashGordon wrote:

So tell me, what was the last time everyone backed up their FS directory?

I realize that some of them are quite large, but if you use FS often, but don't back it up, who can you blame but yourself, when something goes wrong.

Never 😕

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

I've installed and uninstalled FSX a couple of times, without that result. But since doing that, I have found that I cannot access Windows XP Update, computer just stops, and I have to use Task Manager to Stop the action that is out of action. 😂 😂

But can't find out whether there is any connection to FSX, or what else may be causing the problem. When trying to Update, the only message received once, was Access Denied. ❓

Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

Reading this topic i decide to un-install FSX too just to check what will happens.
I dont took any extra precautions and choose to un-install it from Control Panel.
I fire up FS9 with no problems at all and untill now i hadnt notice any other problems.

Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

First of all, unlucky mate. I was going to download FSX demo but then decided not too as it would slow down my computer, and frame rates would be very low. A similar thing happened to me when I downloaded a freeware scenery add-on for Málaga; it gave me very low frame rates and after removing it my FS9 cocked up completely, for which I reinstalled it. Reinstalling FS9 isn't much of a hassle but getting all the liveries, payware and all add-ons is a Pain in the Ass.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...