1GB

Pro Member First Officer
lenin First Officer

Is 1GB of RAM good enough to play FSX or should i pay extra for 2GB, bear in mind i have little money.

Answers 17 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Greekman72 Chief Captain

https://forum.flyawaysimulation.com/forum/topic/20538/is-this-good/

😉

Try to keep your questions about your new system in one post.Its better for you and for people here. 😀 😉

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

Ram is good,the more the better. 👍

But that is now,with DX9.
DX10 is,acorrding to MS,taking the GFX away from the CPU and putting it all(or most of it)into the GFX chip

Whatever,more ram is still the best option as every program on your PC will use it,and the more it(the program)can use,the faster it should be

Munkeh Guest

Yah the more the better, but don't go ludricious and get 4gb or whatever.

1gb is sort of the minuim (sp ugh) for gaming now, you really want 2gb and you'll be laughing.

However 1gb would run it.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Matthew Shope (mypilot) Chief Captain

I have 2 options, either get another (1.5) gig for 125$, or 2 gigs (2.5) for 230$,

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

mypilot wrote:

I have 2 options, either get another (1.5) gig for 125$, or 2 gigs (2.5) for 230$,

The more the better. If you load Vista you'll need it and if you keep (XP) FSX it will run nice and smooth.

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain
hms_endeavour Chief Captain

I have 4GB and I'll get an average of 19fps with full settings.

Jamie4590 Guest

Thats strange because I have 512k RAM and avarage 35fps. Sometimes it goes up to the 70's.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I was talking about FSX. With fs2004 I have an average of 65 and spikes to 100.
What are your specs?

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

I have 3,06 GHz Intel Pentium 4 and 1024 MB DDR/SDRAM 33MHz (this information is listed on my computer)

What would I then need to get FSX to run at about 30 FPS with full settings?

And btw, what does that information mean actually? (I am not good with computers). Does it mean that my processor is 3,06 GHz and that I have approximately 1GB of RAM? If so I assume I will need about 2 or 3 GHz more and 2 or 3 more GB of RAM?

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

3.06GHz is a nice processor - good enough for FSX and no, in my view, it isn't in need of an urgent upgrade. You'll need more RAM than that to play FSX; 2.5GB would be a nice place to start, especially if you are running Vista. The more RAM you can afford, the better.

You don't mention your graphics card in your post.

😉

Jamie4590 Guest

hms_endeavour wrote:

I was talking about FSX. With fs2004 I have an average of 65 and spikes to 100.
What are your specs?

I didn't realise FSX was so demanding. I'll need a complete overhaul before I get it then.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Yeah, unfortunatly for simmers, ms chose the fs to be the porgram that runs you system at it's max. If you want to run fsx at aprx. 60 fps with full settings you'll probably need
a quad processor,
2x Nvidia GeForce 7950 GTX at 1gb video memory each,
10 000 rpm 35GB hard drive,
4Gb ram
Something awesome like that...
I think

Pro Member Captain
Sean (SeanGa) Captain

99jolegg wrote:

3.06GHz is a nice processor - good enough for FSX and no, in my view, it isn't in need of an urgent upgrade. You'll need more RAM than that to play FSX; 2.5GB would be a nice place to start, especially if you are running Vista. The more RAM you can afford, the better.

You don't mention your graphics card in your post.

😉

Alright! thanks for your advice Jon.

My graphics card is an ATI Radeon 9700 128 mb. 128 mb does sound little, would I need a new graphics card? If so, how many mb?

And about that RAM, if I have 1 GB of ram, which I do, would I only need to buy 2 GB of ram to obtain 3 GB RAM or do I have to buy 3 new GB of RAM?

That might have sounded pretty stupid, but the thing is I have no idea what RAM is, how you insert it or how it works besides that it makes things go faster in the computer and gives you a higher FPS.

Thanks!

EDIT: Ok, by reading other threads I have now understood that it is possible to add ram. Then I have another question.. how do I "add" ram to my computer after having bought the RAM? I assume it is some kind of card or something you insert into your computer, or is it something you install? Thanks again

oh and if anyone knows of a good site where I can download RAM then please provide a link for me. again, thanks.

(PS: that last line was a joke 😛)

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

A new graphics card would be nice, but with lowered settings, I don't see why it wouldn't run ok.

It depends on how much RAM you want. If you want 3GBs then you need 2 more GBs to make the 3, but first, make sure that your motherboard can handle that amount of RAM - which it probably will. Download and run Belarc Advisor which can be found on Google. It'll tell you the amount of slots you have.

Don't worry you're not the only one - I know next to nothing about computer hardware other than what I've learnt here in regards to my PC, and I managed to install some RAM with the documentation that came with the PC and asking around here. I'd suggest you get your RAM through www.crucial.com - the RAM you buy must be the same speed as the GB you already have, unless you are buying 3 GBs (if your mobo can hold 4) of a higher speed RAM, in which case you can get rid of the 1GB of slower RAM, but I'm not sure if 4GBs of slower speed is better than 3GBs of higher speed.

Choosing it and making sure you have the correct RAM is the hardest part, installing it is simple.

😉

Pro Member First Officer
Mohit (Mc_GaNgStA) First Officer

I've made my mind up and have decided that I'll buy the game when I get a brand new computer, because by then I suppose all new computers will be able to handle Windows Vista perfectly. Also I will be able to get the latest and top quality graphics card (A 2 GB one if it comes out, as the 1GB is already out), a fast procesor (dual-core) and about 4 Gigs of RAM. In this way, I assume I can get the best out of FSX rather than upgrade my current one only to meet its minimum requirements. Well it may be expensive but worthwile as many other games by then will also require high specification PCs.

Pro Member Chief Captain
hinch Chief Captain

if you turn off the fsx water you'll be laughing with 65fps no worries Wink

on my pc (3.4, 1gig, 256) i can run the fsx demo at a silky smooth 20fps with good settings,so your computer sounds fine.

Pro Member Chief Captain

I can only confirm that!water setttings from high to low(they still look ok) means a leap from apprx 20fps to apprx 55fps!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...