FS2004 with 2GB of DDR RAM?

Pro Member First Officer
Andrenaa First Officer

Just wanting to ask is anybody running FS9 with 2GB of ram? If so what's the performance like?

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Trainee
Jim Glockner (jimmyglockner) Trainee

Andrenaa, I can only install 3/4 of a gig in my machine. However, the performance is really great. By the way, my clock speed is only 1.2 ghz.

The only time I have any trouble (if you can call it that) is that things slow down a bit when I approach an area that has a lot of graphics (such as a large airport).

Happy flying all.

JimmyGlockner

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

From what I understand when you pass 1gig of ram you won't see too much improvement. I find that hard to believe and think in this case that more is better. It should make up for the poor h/d's that are in most of our PC's.
If you have the $$ and your board can take it go for it. 👍
The new super processors will demand that sort of memory.

Pro Member Trainee
ronaldpatton Trainee

I've got 2 computers I run FS9 with. The first one had 256meg on a 2.0 gHz CPU and the performace was poor to say the least Yawn . I added another 512 meg yesterday and it works wonderful! 😀 The other compter has 2 Gig of RAM with a 2.8 gHz CPU and it is ever better 👍 . The first machine (2 gHz) is very snappy as long as you have simple clouds (it tends to be a little bit slow to update the cloud images). The second machine has everything set to the max complex mode and it just makes me laugh it works so well. My favorite is to go to SLEW mode and cruise around at about 2500 knots and watch the world go by. I think memory helps more than anything else. I would guess that if I had more memory in the first machine I could run with complex clouds without a problem. Oh yes all this is with the FSD Panther Navajo which is about the biggest resource hog around (it is my very favorite aircraft) 👏

Last edited by ronaldpatton on Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total
Geordan Guest

If I were you, I would invest in a new video card (only if you need to of course) before I bought more RAM. that extra 1 gig of ram will go largely unused unless you run the game at high resolution with a high level of filtering and play for a while, of course, present technology can't handle that anyways so there's no point! Seriously, if you have 1 gig that's more than enough. Go for a new vid card or processor before you spend the money on more RAM that won't get used much anyways.

-Geordan

Pro Member Trainee
Jim Glockner (jimmyglockner) Trainee

We seem to be getting great input on this subject.

Happy flying everyone.

JimmyGlockner

Pro Member First Officer
Mason Gilliam (harleyman) First Officer

Well I got 2 Gigs and it sure looks good from where I sit...I was told that the way MS formatted this game that extra power would not help that much,,but I don't know about that...After all,,its all about crunching numbers......

For me my screenshots look as good as I've seen anywhere with my new Vid card.......See Ya....Mason

Pro Member Chief Captain
Alex (Fire_Emblem_Master) Chief Captain

Yes, i am running FS2004 with 2GB DDR RAM. It works great, and everything is smooth, however, RAM is not the most important thing you need, i have a Nvidia GEforce 3 video card, so i don't run everything way up, but yes, ram does help, and 2gb of it ensures that I can continue to burn that CD as i land my 747 on a cold and snowy runway in alaska.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...