Does it cost to go to...

Dan the pilot Guest

im heading to duxford on sat. i was wondering does it cost to enter?
There is not going to be an airshow. Im just going there to look at the aircrafts. So im asking does it cost to enter?

I dont want to go there and finding that i have to pay.

Answers 26 Answers

Jump to latest

Hi

Was there years ago, and it did cost, but my kids got in for free. Try looking for their website and see what it says.

Dan the pilot Guest

yes but was the airfield holding an airshow at the time? I plan to go on sat. There is not airshow due on that day. So would it be free entry on that day?

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Yes, it is not free!

http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/

Check it out!

Dan the pilot Guest

Damn it! Oh well thanks for the info anyway.
Now im gona go and say some bad words.

Bye.

Dan the pilot Guest

Iv'e planed a trip to duxford but iv'e canceled it. Its too expensive. Its £13 per person. But we round it off to the nearist £5s and theres 3 of us. So it would cost £45! JUST to visit!

So BLOW IT! Why is it so bloody high priced?!

£45 Just for the three of us! Where only visiting for a couple of hrs and yet we have to pay £45! YOUR MAD!!!

Are you sure its that expensive?! I planed to go on saterday. Im cancling it!

I know £45 is not too much but considering for 3 people to visit for 2 hrs is just stupid.

I would of said alot of bad words right now but this site has young people coming here and it wouldnt be nice of me to mention it.

Can you confirm to me that you do have to pay and the price is £13 per person. Just so im not making a mistake with my calculations.

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

Well I'm an OAP, and I can confirm, your calculations are about right. My wife and I used to go to Duxford quite a lot, but these days, well as you say it's a lot of money for people on a limited income.

It used to be so much per car, so we always took a couple of friends to help split the cost. But the way it's priced now, it's out of our reach. Last time a couple of years back, my sons had bought me a voucher for a Tiger Moth flight, which was supposed to include free entry. Joke, we still had to pay, they did give us a partial rebate after I complained, but still wasn't free.

Dan the pilot Guest

i dont know about you but i should complain about the high prices. I thought visiting should iether be free or cost a couple of pounds. This is a shock to me!

Iv'e gone to duxford before but that was at an airshow. I thought i would come back for a visit. But now that damn high price has changed all that.

You know if a huge group of people started complaining then they would have to drop the price.

Once i had a simler problem with prices before. I went up to the entry and asked for the price then once they told me the price i yeld and said what the ****!

I then walked off saying "oh well theres another place where its praticly free."

It turns out that the person i asked the price for was the manager.
2 weeks later the price droped by a few pounds.

that tactic normaly works but somtimes you need a group of people to get it to work.

Pro Member First Officer
KenTel First Officer

The old problem of keeping up with the rising costs. Our sons asked why I complained, on being told, they said well these days that's only about the price of an hours wages, when I retired that would have been more than a days wages.

If you are in full time work you stand a chance, but once you retire, your income rapidly gets left behind, thanks to those in power.

Dan the pilot Guest

if you mean the goverment then i agree with you. i think We have the wrong people in charge.

They should be kept out of goverment! They can't run a contry let alone looking after them selfs.

I actuly plan to leave this contry as its getting worse. I plan to go to sweden. I herd the crime rate there is a hell lot lower and the goverment actuly run a contry unlike this contry goverment.

Jamie4590 Guest

Its a shame you had cancle your trip but after looking at the homepage £13 seems ok especially if you get there at 10am when it opens and make a day of it until closing at 6pm. (I think all museums should be free entry though)

There are discounts and consessions available as well. If you're registered disabled admission is free and if you're unemplyed admission is £8 instead of £13. I've been thinking of going there for a while and when I do I'll hang around there all day to get my monies worth. Have a spot of lunch take lots of snaps and generally look at all the machines in awe and realise just what an easy life youngsters have it these days. Can you imagine the reaction from youths today if they were called up. They would think it was a prank!

Admission is £11 if its a group of more than 20 so perhaps arrange to meet people from this site outside the main gates and all go in together thus saving a shiny £2 each which hopefully is the cost of a pint there. If there is no bar I'm not going! 😂

http://duxford.iwm.org.uk/server/show/nav.00d002

Pro Member First Officer
Wing-man First Officer

Jamie4590 wrote:

If there is no bar I'm not going! 😂

ROFL

🍻

Dan the pilot Guest

I guess its not all that bad. I dont normaly stay all day but i would stay to get my moneys worth. But do think about a little extra cash for buying items there. You know models uniforms and so on.

Jamie4590 Guest

Well if there are models in uniform there count me in! Drool 😉

Dan the pilot Guest

at duxford you can buy pilot equipment,electronic equipment,uniforms,models,pictures,aircraft pleasure flights for £35 every flight. Its got lots of things to buy and look at.

I will admit its a pritty good place! Its aviator heaven!
thats why i like to go back there. The only thing wrong with duxford is the entry price.

Pro Member First Officer
Wing-man First Officer

You could always jump the fence to avoid entry fee 🙄 or even dig a tunnel under it 🙄 but there again, to dig a tunnel, a spade will cost you £12.99, so you might aswell just pay the £13 to get in. Blink

Dan the pilot Guest

i could or i could throw one of you on top of the fence and the rest of us can just walk over. ok now whos it gona be?

Or you can push a ladder over the fence then we all just run over the ladder.

What would guys prefure? Jump over fence? Push somone on fence then run over them? Or drive a car through the fence? But if you drive the car through the fence you could hit one of the aircraft which could cost you a heavy 10million pounds worth of repairs for the aircraft.

I think ill chance pushing someone on the fence.

Jamie4590 Guest

If it helps I have a spade minus most of the handle going free.

I really like the look of the place. It was on the news recently because they were having trouble securing funding for a historic aircraft. Its not just aviation from what I believe and there are land and amphibious machines as well.

Beat them at their own game and really get your monies worth by sitting in all the chairs you see, flushing all the loos and helping yourself to loo roll, condiments, napkins and fixtures and fittings. While there use the opportunity to asses the perimeter for a potential breech allowing free entry on the next visit.

Dan the pilot Guest

I always like going there.

I would like to go there again and enjoy a good days out. If i have to pay £45 for a whole day then i would see paying £45 would be my moneys worth. But what if you were only staying there for a couple of hrs? Say you had to go somwhere later on and that you only had 2hrs to spear. What if you decided to waste 2hrs at duxford for you own enjoyment and then go about your buessnes. You would have to pay £45 pounds for your self and a couple of your mates to enjoy your selfs for a couple of hrs.

It sounds a little unfair. If it was £25 pounds then i wouldnt be moaning.

I think they should lower there entry fees. I should try my tactic like iv'e done to many other places iv'e been too.

You know go up to the main entrance and look at the price with your wallet in your hand then pull a shocked face then put your wallet away then walk of saying " THATS BLOODY EXSPENSIVE!!!".
You should find(if it works)that the price has droped. BUT! it can only work if an employee or manager sees you. They must see your reaction. the manager wants as much costomers as possible but if he sees his costomers walk of because of the price he would be more tempted on lowering the prices.

Its only worked for me a couple of times though.

Im going to try my tactic. So by the time saterday comes around i should hopfuly see the entrance fee drop. You have a higher chance on succeding if your in a group.

Jamie4590 Guest

Its worth a try but speaking as a theme park world veteran people will generally pay whatever the price especially if they have children tugging at their coat.

Dan the pilot Guest

good point! The kids always moan at their parents for what they want. I still think that duxford should lower there entrance fee. £13 per adult is a little unfair. If they lower it two at lest £8 every adult then it wouldnt bother me.

Is it actuly possible to climb over the fence where its not being watched. Not that im planning too. Im just wondering.......yes wondering 😉 .....hmmmm.

Propman Guest

I heard you can volonter at duxford for work. that why you can enter for free and be with aircrafts! Well thats what i heard.

Just phone duxford and ask for the manager and say you wish to volontier and help out with cleaning or clearing runways or even cleaning the aircrafts! you dont know till you try!

Well thats my suggestion to getting in without paying.

dan the pilot Guest

Propman wrote:

I heard you can volonter at duxford for work. that why you can enter for free and be with aircrafts! Well thats what i heard.

Just phone duxford and ask for the manager and say you wish to volontier and help out with cleaning or clearing runways or even cleaning the aircrafts! you dont know till you try!

Hmm very good idea! but one fluor in your plan. What if you were working most of the week? you wouldnt be able to volontier. So this means for people who do not go to work. So that cancels me out. Nice idea mac but it wouldent work for us all.

Navigator343 Guest

Propman wrote:

guess what! Iv'e taken your advise and now im going for an interview at duxford airfield! Thank you buddy! Iv'e got a job! I know its only volont but its helping me alot!

propman Guest

Navigator343 wrote:

Propman wrote:

guess what! Iv'e taken your advise and now im going for an interview at duxford airfield! Thank you buddy! Iv'e got a job! I know its only volont but its helping me alot!

Your welcome. I wasnt expecting somone to go into that so soon but im happy its working for you. I plan to go in for volontree at duxford real soon. Hopfuly it all truns out just fine.

propman Guest

NOTE: duxford will pay for your transport and food,drinks as well. If your doing volonteer work then duxford will pay for your transport and food.

So you dont loose a penny and you gain expirance. Oh one other thing! Theres a full employment thing that comes up every so often. So you would have a chance to have a fully paid job. All this sounds pritty nice to me!

you work volonteer for a short or somtimes a long time till they have a place for you.

Propman Guest

guys! Iv'e phoned duxford for volonteery work and they have aranged an interview!

Like i said! go for it!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...