DC-3 Radio Navigation Questions

DThak Guest

This question is probably aimed at RadarMan but anyone who can help is welcome. ?

My question is about the radio compass on the default DC-3. I know that it has an ADF function but what about VOR? When I bring up the radio I see NAV radios 1 and 2. I also see that the needle moves when I tune a VOR course...I think.

I just love flying the DC-3 and I want to take it out a little further. The auto-pilot seems different but I've found info on that in the learning center.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Answers 5 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

The navigation radios in the DC-3 are unique, let's talk about each function separately.

ADF-This function is available for each needle(NAV 1 or NAV 2). It's reacts just as a modern ADF but the display is not shown in enough detail for you to navigate with precision. Setting the NDB frequency can be difficult using just the frequency scale provided, place your mouse cursor over the frequency selection knob to see a digital display of the frequency. Use the knob on the upper right to align the outer compass ring to your current magnetic heading(MH) that's shown on the compass. With that accomplished, the number under the head of the needle is the magnetic bearing(MB) TO the station and the number under the tail is the MB FROM the station. Course corrections would be accomplished using normal ADF procedures.
http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ndb-nav-adf-1.htm

NAV(VOR)- This uses the needle just as the modern Radio Magnetic Indicator(RMI) except that the outer compass card is not slaved to the magnetic compass. The tail of the needle always shows what VOR radial you're on, from the selected station. Align the outer compass card with your MH as with the ADF navigation. Radials are always labeled FROM a VOR. Navigation and course correction utilize ADF procedures.
http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/vor-nav.htm
http://www.allstar.fiu.edu/aero/rmi.htm
www.luizmonteiro.com/Learning_RMI_Sim.htm

Just remember with both types of stations to keep the outer compass ring aliened with your MH and that you are always physically located on the MB or Radial indicated by the tail of the needles. If you get confused, use the GPS.🙂

DThak Guest

CRJCapt, thanks for the information. After reading it over this morning and testing it out to make sure.....it all makes sense. Could'nt have asked for a better explantion.

One thing about the radio compass though. Do you find that the heading numbers on the face are almost impossible to read? If I squnt hard enough I can make a good guess but thats about it. It should have at least a mouse over that would display the numbers.......Oh well thanks again for your wonderful help!

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

DThak wrote:

One thing about the radio compass though. Do you find that the heading numbers on the face are almost impossible to read?

Yes it's almost unreadable. It would be nice if you could get a pop up window the enlarges the whole dial or as you say,at least information when you put your cursor on the dial. Glad I could help. 👍

DThak Guest

I just tried something that seems to make the gauge more readable. I went to VC mode and zoomed in on the radio compass using the +
The numbers are a little blurry but can be made out much easier. Problem is its kinda cumbersome to do quickly and it takes your eye off the other gauges for a sec......which can't be good lol.

Pro Member Captain
Ian Stephens (ianstephens) Captain
Ian Stephens is an expert on this topic. Read his bio here.

Hello,

I'm glad to see your interest in the radio navigation features of the default DC-3 in Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004. I'll do my best to help clarify how the ADF and VOR systems work and how you can use them to enhance your flight experience.

The radio compass on the DC-3 indeed has an ADF (Automatic Direction Finder) function, which is used to track NDB (Non-Directional Beacon) stations. The ADF receiver picks up the signal from an NDB and the needle points towards the station, allowing you to follow the signal to the station.

Regarding VOR (VHF Omnidirectional Range), the DC-3 is equipped with NAV radios 1 and 2, which are used to receive VOR signals. You can tune these radios to a VOR frequency, and once tuned in, the needle on the CDI (Course Deviation Indicator) will move to show your position relative to the selected radial. The needle will be centered when you are on the desired radial, and it will move to either side as you deviate from the radial.

To use VOR for navigation, follow these steps:

1. Tune the NAV radio to the appropriate VOR frequency.
  2. Set the OBS (Omni Bearing Selector) to the desired radial.
  3. Interpret the needle movement on the CDI to maintain or intercept the radial.

As for the autopilot on the DC-3, it might feel different from more modern aircraft, but it's quite functional once you understand its operation. The Learning Center, as you mentioned, is an excellent resource for understanding its usage.

Regarding Microsoft Flight Simulator (MSFS) 2020, while the simulation is more advanced, the general principles of ADF and VOR navigation remain the same. If you ever decide to transition to MSFS 2020, you can apply the same concepts to navigate using radio aids.

I hope this information helps you better understand the DC-3's radio navigation capabilities, and I wish you many enjoyable flights in this iconic aircraft!

If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Safe flying!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...