FSX DVD required?

Pro Member Chief Captain
CRJCapt Chief Captain

Does FSX require the DVD to be present in the drive to function?

Answers 25 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

From things I've read here, apparently, you can register your copy with Microsoft at the beginning so that you don't have to keep using the DVD.

Pro Member First Officer
Faucett First Officer

Correct. Kind of nice.

Although, I think my Norton messed with me on the install, as my system re-started itself upon the main activation screen. ❓
Worked out okay, but I was losing my mind for a minute!

😎

Pro Member First Officer
PIC1stOfficer First Officer

99jolegg wrote:

From things I've read here, apparently, you can register your copy with Microsoft at the beginning so that you don't have to keep using the DVD.

Wonder if you will have to do that each time you have to reinstall it?
Maybe it will be simple to do like OFFice is real easy to register each time my PC goes down. (Which thankfully is seldom.)

Pro Member Chief Captain
CrashGordon Chief Captain

It probably will be the same, but don't be surprised if you get a message to contact MS if you start installing it on different computers.

BitWit Guest

I purchased FSX on Friday from FS in Canada (Deluxe) and immediately installed it on one computer (computer A). With the NIC disabled ( I was testing) Activation would not work; okay, they want to call home. reenabled the nic and activated with no problems.

I then wanted to see if there would be an activation restriction so installed it on a second machine (computer B); again, activation worked with no problem. Okay, so now I'm safe to install it at home (as planned). Just to CMA I de-installed FSX from computer B.

That night I got home and installed FSX. Upon activation I received the message that I had exceeded the activation limit and it would NOT activate. This after only 2 activations (of which only one was still installed). I called the 'telephone activation' line but there was no one there (not even a recording) just dead silence.

I called microsoft (main line) and long story short they told me that
1) the product is new so please bear with us
2) we are currently out of product keys for this game for the next 4 or 5 days (apparently they can issue a new Prod key)
3) you could go back to the store and exchange it for a different copy (which would result in a new in-package Prod Key.

Moral: This will only 'active' 2 times (MS said the limit was 3) so activate sparingly.

Question: What the heck happens in two years when you're on your 4th PC and you want to install FSX again but are out of activations????

discuss....

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

A friend of mine installs and reinstalls Windows 3-4 times a year. Occasionally he does the same with FS9, that means he has to load it 6 or more times a year.
They better be ready for some serious legal discussions!

Did they charge you for the call and could you list the phone numbers so others won't have to search.

I have the feeling there will be a crack for the key code soon.
Thanks.

Radar

BitWit Guest

Hey RadarMan...

No, Microsoft did not charge me for the call (although I got the usual 'have your credit card or contract number available while on hold).

I used the Canada Customer Support number
1-800-668-7975

The telephone activation number was 1-866-740-1256 but as I said, there was no answer (even though it rang, picked up and there was about 3 seconds of canned music. after that....nothing).

I agree, and also 'refresh' my windows install a number of times. I'm not sure is simply re-installing XP (or whatever) will have an affect as the activation is tied to the hardware on which the software is installed. ACtivation might work if you keep the same hardware (and the same hash is generated and can be tied to an existing activated hash ) BUT if you change your hardware, I suspect the legal issues of which you talk (or at least the harsh discussions on why did you charge me $80 (Cdn) for a game that I can only install twice). A crack/patch may become necesary to protect investements.

Pro Member Chief Captain

Since you are calling MS before the release date, it isn't surprising that they aren't ready to handle requests of that nature. MS has always had ways for people who are reinstalling products beyond the set number allowed. It may be inconvenient, but it does keep you from sharing with your friends.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

BitWit wrote:

Hey RadarMan...

No, Microsoft did not charge me for the call (although I got the usual 'have your credit card or contract number available while on hold).

I used the Canada Customer Support number
1-800-668-7975

The telephone activation number was 1-866-740-1256 but as I said, there was no answer (even though it rang, picked up and there was about 3 seconds of canned music. after that....nothing).

I agree, and also 'refresh' my windows install a number of times. I'm not sure is simply re-installing XP (or whatever) will have an affect as the activation is tied to the hardware on which the software is installed. ACtivation might work if you keep the same hardware (and the same hash is generated and can be tied to an existing activated hash ) BUT if you change your hardware, I suspect the legal issues of which you talk (or at least the harsh discussions on why did you charge me $80 (Cdn) for a game that I can only install twice). A crack/patch may become necesary to protect investements.

Thank you for the information, we can use all we can get.

Radar

BitWit Guest

Hey Crash, I hope you're not implying that I am trying to share with friends... I don't have any...

Pro Member Chief Captain
tomthetank Chief Captain

BitWit wrote:

Hey Crash, I hope you're not implying that I am trying to share with friends... I don't have any...

ROFL

Well at least MS has seen the light as to having the disc in the PC at all times.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

tomthetank wrote:

BitWit wrote:

ROFL

Well at least MS has seen the light as to having the disc in the PC at all times.

If I have to call and get "daddies" permission to reinstall it, then I'd rather use a crack! Doh! Censored

Radar

Pro Member Chief Captain

BitWit wrote:

😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂 😂

BitWit wrote:

With the NIC disabled ( I was testing)

Hi. Please can you tell me what NIC means? I've tried 2 copies of FSX now and am unable to activate. It accepts the product key as a good one then tried to connect to the server.....comes back and tells me it can't do that and, amongst other things, the server may be down. So....easy....just click on the telephone tab. All this brings up is an error window stating that the installation may be corrupt, try reinstalling.

I've tried everything....firewalls, spyware removal tools. I don't see this as a Microsoft problem...it's something to do with my PC but is has never done anything like this before, it activated XP just perfick. The only other possible cause is a faulty batch of FSX???? Both my copies came from Amazon but I would've imagined a lot of negative reviews on the site had there been a faulty batch. Arrgh.

The fact that the telephone activation thingy won't work is very puzzling. It's annoying that they don't even give you a grace period.., half a day would do!

Cheers,

Mike.

BitWit Guest

NIC is the Network Card. I disabled it to see if activation would try to go out over the wire and 'Surprise', it did. Funny re the telephone activation. When I had the problem, after clicking on Telephone activation, I was asked for my Country at which point, FSX gave me the 'appropriate' phone number....

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

BitWit wrote:

With the NIC disabled ( I was testing)

Hi. Please can you tell me what NIC means? I've tried 2 copies of FSX now and am unable to activate. It accepts the product key as a good one then tried to connect to the server.....comes back and tells me it can't do that and, amongst other things, the server may be down. So....easy....just click on the telephone tab. All this brings up is an error window stating that the installation may be corrupt, try reinstalling.

I've tried everything....firewalls, spyware removal tools. I don't see this as a Microsoft problem...it's something to do with my PC but is has never done anything like this before, it activated XP just perfick. The only other possible cause is a faulty batch of FSX???? Both my copies came from Amazon but I would've imagined a lot of negative reviews on the site had there been a faulty batch. Arrgh.

The fact that the telephone activation thingy won't work is very puzzling. It's annoying that they don't even give you a grace period.., half a day would do!

Cheers,

Mike.

Disconnect from the internet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nic_cards

Radar

Thanks guys...but no good. I tried the disconnecting idea yesterday RadarMan. I just don't understand why the telephone option won't work. Hopefully (not for them though) as more and more people get their hands on the game some similar problems will emerge.

Thanks again,

Mike.

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Anonymous wrote:

Thanks guys...but no good. I tried the disconnecting idea yesterday RadarMan. I just don't understand why the telephone option won't work. Hopefully (not for them though) as more and more people get their hands on the game some similar problems will emerge.

Thanks again,

Mike.

Get the phone number for it and call. Don't forget to say where you live.

Radar

Hello again.....the problem is though that I can't even get the program to display the area where I would type the code in (I can find the telephone number easily enough in one of the folders but I wouldn't be able to do anything with this code once I had it). As soon as a click the "telephone" tab....there she goes with the error message. Jees!

I'm just hoping some guru will come up with an idea. The only other thing I've noticed is that I tried to download an aircraft from Flightsim numerous times over the last few days and that won't work either. When I click "download" it just stalls - I've downloaded on there 100s of times in the past, at first I though perhaps there was a lot of downloading going on with the release of FSX but now I'm thinking that the 2 problems are related.

Hopefully someone can connect the two problems. Thanks in advance.

Mike.

Ken Woods Guest

I have exactly the same problem as Mike - activation online or by phone does not work. Have tried everything, including uninstall and re-install.

That's a long evening.............wasted 😞

Where do we go from here?..............Anyone? I can find no info re how long we can run without activation.

Ken

BitWit Guest

Take it back to the store and ask for an exchange. Worked for me.

Hi. Tales a'plenty are appearing on the internet with exactly the same problem. It's looking like a new key can be provided over the phone, I was convinced it was my PC. For once I hope the clever chaps out there come out with a crack for this game. It is disgusting that people are paying £50 for it and can only use a restricted version for 30 minute intervals. The least they could do is have 24/7 support. We're not all housewifes playing the game!

Going to ring MS support when I get in, if I can get home before they close (UK office only open Mon-Fri 8-6).

Cheers.

Mavermick(Mike) Guest

I've CRACKed it! Woo! Now for some multiplayer formation flying in Extra 300s!

Stop moaning everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

Here are some links for the crack dlls. No activation required.

http://download.yousendit.com/2139B35B084BCCEC

http://depositfiles.com/files/337614

http://www.f-forge.com/?d=jyvabZ2714IEKYVJUDkF

Unzip them to:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X"

or where you installed the game.

If you're smart enough, you can use them to re-pack Disk 1 & burn an ISO Image file like I did!!!!

There is no protection on this game.

I'm having problems with FSX.

It sudenly won't let me connect anymore when I try to play in Multiplayer! WTF?!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...