easy question

Pro Member Captain
Karlw Captain

Whats an icoa code is it the airport id

Answers 10 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Dan Young (dannyboy2005) First Officer

Wikipedia knows, Google Knows and Yes it is. Check on it as i'm not completly sure

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Yes an International Civil Aviation Organisation code is the 4 letter airport identifier, i.e. KJFK, EGLL etc.

Pro Member First Officer

so there you go, Question answeared, and i was right lol.

Pro Member Captain
Karlw Captain

lol

Pro Member First Officer

Yes an International Civil Aviation Organisation code is the 4 letter airport identifier, i.e. KJFK, EGLL etc.

International Civil Aviation Organisation, Then why do airforce bases have ICAO if their not civil, there millitary.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Good question...I never thought about it.... 🙄

Don Wood Guest

For the same reason FAA (in the US) regulates much of military aviation - because it effects civil charting and civil users. Except when involved in tactical operations and when in military base local areas, military aircraft are controlled by civil ATC. You rarely hear them because they operate on UHF frequencies instead of VHF like we do but they are there.

They have some exemptions and, in emergencies, many more but they operate under most of the same rules we do while in civil controlled airspace.

ICAO does not usually impose airport codes. An operator, civil or military, applies to them for the use of a code and if the requested code meets their reqauirements and is not in use by some other facility, it is granted and reserved.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

Because the ICAO was set up as an agency of the UN to create standardised principles and methods of air navigation. The ICAO also creates basic standards to maintain safe growth. The ICAO were to set up airport codes for use by ATC - military airports are a small percentage of the airports in the world so they may as well encompass those airports, despite their title contradicting it.

Too slow Oops!

😉

Pro Member First Officer

lol. thanks, ICAO Codes for military bases are to keep the peace basicly. Thanks!

Pro Member Chief Captain
Manuel Agustin Clausse (Agus0404) Chief Captain

Well, that wasn't in my Air Law book 😂

Thanks for the explanation. 😉

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...