FMC waypoints and ILS USA vs Rest of the world?????

Pro Member Trainee
b_kennedy Trainee

Hi guys. Have been teaching myself as I go, granted alot are youtube vids which seem to stir up very heated debates about what is right and wrong; but all the FMC ILS landings I have seen are USA of some description. Each point on the localiser has a LEG code to input to FMC and very easy to understand approach charts.

However I have noticed any charts outside of USA dont have these localiser leg decriptions or easy to read approaches. I know you guys will say its easy but for someone who's learning its alot more difficult haha.

If anyone could point me to a good guide or walkthrough regarding anythig ex-USA would be great.

Thanks guys

Answers 7 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I'm not too sure what you're asking. What do you mean by an "ILS FMC"? Do you mean that the aircraft you're flying the ILS with is equipped with an FMC?

Waypoints on the approach aren't just a feature in the USA...you get it in the UK too and I guess, the rest of Europe.

The procedure is exactly the same for aircraft with FMCs or without. If you fly a light Cessna which is IFR equipped the procedure is still the same.

Pro Member Trainee
b_kennedy Trainee

Sorry I kind of confused myself a bit too but I'm glad you've replied. Your always the man with the answers haha.

Basically on a US approach chart each section of the ils has a waypoint 'name' which you can enter into the fmc. With the 'other' charts they don't seem to have a 'name'. Sorry if it's not clear. I will upload some pics if you don't understand and thanks very much for your reply. It's much appreciated!!

Pro Member Chief Captain

The name you refer to is a 5 letter code called an 'intersection'. On approaches and in TMAs they're mainly used for GPS navigation. We used them in New Zealand, by programming them into the Garmin GPS and turning the autopilot on, you could follow the waypoint route even on to the approach! To that end, I think really, they're not used on conventional airliners as a basis for the approach, more for GPS approaches at a guess.

There is certainly no need for them...if you input the ILS into the FMC, it'll come up with waypoints on the ND anyway, not intersections but usually distances to go from the ILS antennae or an airfield associated DME.

Why do you want intersections on the approach? Why not just use the DEP/ARR page in the CDU and put in the approach you're flying there?

Pro Member Trainee
b_kennedy Trainee

I am able to select the arrival airport and select a runway via the FMC. I can also set the auto for the ILS which is perfect with FMC information. However my last leg is always a fair distance or a ridiculous approach angle for the aircraft. It's like I have some waypoints missing.

Am I wrong using FSBuild? Also when I select departure runways there are several choices for each one. I select just the runway number eg. 27 INSTEAD of ILS27. Is this right?

Many thanks

Pro Member Chief Captain

What aircraft are you using?

If you go to the RTE page and input the route, it won't include the final approach.

If you click on the DEP/ARR page, it'll bring up the available runway approaches with their respective STARs and if applicable, transitions. Choose the STAR and the runway. If you're doing an ILS approach into runway 27, then choose ILS RWY 27 with a STAR if you so wish.

If you just choose RWY 27 then yes, you'll be left mid air because you haven't told the FMC you want to plan out the final approach, including the missed approach.

Pro Member Trainee
b_kennedy Trainee

Right i think I've just completely confused myself with all these youtube video's. Going to fly now and give it a go. Do you know of any good information docs?

Pro Member Chief Captain

Information docs for what? Programming the FMC? For the FMC, I wrote this a while ago:

http://www.flightsimulationforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=8578

It's very generic and by no means true or accurate for all types but it's a good guide. Otherwise look on Avsim.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...