RTO

Pro Member First Officer
Sico2 First Officer

I always have been wondering about the procedures of aborted take off. I was looking for something in wikipedia, but didn't find much. Does anyone have any documents, links or any files with instructions for this unusual and pretty rare procedure?

I know all the basic, when it occurs, why who is responsible etc, but want more 🙂

Answers 6 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Jonathan (99jolegg) Chief Captain

I found this quite interesting - you might aswell:

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/aero_11/takeoff_story.html

Let us know what you think of it 😉

Pro Member First Officer
Sico2 First Officer

Great link, thanks. Nice data review of the last 40 years. from 90-99 we had ratio of 1.6 incidents with RTO.

Have one question though, RTO deploys automatically when throttle lever goes down above 80knts. Do sopilers and rev.thrust go up as well as max brake, or only the brakes? And another, do nose wheels have brakes, or only main?

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

Depends on type but generally if both are armed you will get brakes and spoilers. Reverse thrust must be selected manually. Problem with auto reverse thrust could be assymetric thrust with an engine out therefore remaining straight initially could be a problem.

Only main wheels have brakes.

Pro Member First Officer
PIC1stOfficer First Officer

Nice post, very interesting. 🙂

Pro Member First Officer
Sico2 First Officer

thanks, I have another question then. Do you remember that incident with A320 at KLAX few months ago that was transmitted live at CNN? I think it was jetblue airlines or similar, with the nose wheel stuck 90° to the runway. He landed safely only with few sparks and damaged front gear etc., but why captain decided not to use the rev.thrust, especially when it was an emergency landing? wasn't this too risky, in case he'd overrun or something?

Pro Member First Officer
PH First Officer

In a situation where the nosewheel is either down and not locked or at 90 degrees you need to keep the weight off the nosewheel...and keep the nosewheel off the runway for as long as possible. Landing distance calculations is something they would certainly account for but in this case the runway was long enough to not warrant use of immediate reverse thrust....probably did not use brakes either initially. Using reverse would bring the nose down firmly onto the runway. Think about whay happens in a car when you apply the brakes kinetic energy etc.
Hope this helps.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...