Help In FSX Basics

Capt._Jacques Guest

I know some of you have been doing this along time please just take the patience to read this article

1. Hello everyone, I just bought FSX Deluxe Edition Oct. 17th, I am proud to say it's the first flight sim i've ever played, I did the tutorials but im alittle confused I was wondering if someone could schedule a flight with me where we could both meet and fly in the same plane and teach me the basics.

2. If not can someone tell me what trim is? only steer my plane using the turn left turn right and up and down im alittle confused so if someone could tell me what these keyword mean I'd apreciate it.

Rudder: What do I do with it?
Descend/Climb: Is there a difference between that and trimming the front?

Flaps: What are these for?

Jacques, USA

Answers 17 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member First Officer
Matt (mattdean) First Officer

Rudder: What do I do with it?

Descend/Climb: Is there a difference between that and trimming the front?

Flaps: What are these for?

Rudder:-
The rudder is used to yaw (move the nose of the aircraft) either left or right. The rudder is used primarily for stablising turns (if you don't have the 'auto rudder' feature turned on.

This means that when an aircraft turns without rudder input, it can become unstable and cause excessive stress on certain areas of the aircraft.

Trim:-

The trims are small flaps on the inner trailing edge of the wings. Trim is used when climbing, decending and to establish straight and level flight.

Trim is used in the situation, for example, when you are climbing to a given altitude, the plane, wants to pitch up, in this situation, you would slowly trim forwards until the plane stays at the pitch that you require.

Flaps:-

Flaps are used primarily to increase the lift from the wings when flying at slower speeds, for example when coming into land, however, flaps also increase the aircraft's drag, so you want to be sure that you are not going too slow when you have them out 😉

Hope this helps![/quote]

Goose343 Guest

I really recommend reading the material under the tutorials section and complete the exercises. I've just done that and now I have a framed certificate on my wall which says I completed my first solo flight - it kicks ass 🙂

I still can't trim though, just doesn't seem to work, as a result I now have forearms like Popeye's.

Pro Member Trainee
crash_deplane Trainee

Just to expand a little more on trim, it should be set so that the airplane stays at a given pitch without you having to hold the stick back or push the stick forward. If you keep having to hold the stick back to keep the plane where you want it, then you need more nose up trim and vice versa. The trim setting also affects what speed the plane flies at and how far up or down the nose is. If the trim is set with the nose way down, the plane will have to fly much faster to stay at a given altitude. If it is set with the nose way up, the plane won't fly very fast and the nose will be pointed way up. Once it is set however, then by increasing power the plane will climb, but airspeed will stay the same. Reducing power will make the plane descend, but the airspeed will stay the same (more or less). Lastly, the trim should be set the center or "TO" (takeoff) position before takeoff, or you might lose control. Hope this helps!

Pro Member First Officer
PIC1stOfficer First Officer

If you know zero about flying I would (and have) pick up a copy of Private Pilot Manual at a flight shop.

FSXflyer Guest

Hello

First off Flight simulator is best used with a joystick rather than a keyboard. If you have not already done so a Joystick is recommend. Flying with a keyboard is tricky.
Fly the lessons, but Its a good idea to read the ground school written information before taking a lesson. Although the lessons can be tricky at times they will become clear if you keep at them. The checkrides can be tough at times, but completing the lessons will give you much more understanding of the simulator.
I'm absolutely useless at the helicopter 😀 I end up spinning and usually crashing lol

Pro Member First Officer

Just to expand a little more on trim, it should be set so that the airplane stays at a given pitch without you having to hold the stick back or push the stick forward. If you keep having to hold the stick back to keep the plane where you want it, then you need more nose up trim and vice versa. The trim setting also affects what speed the plane flies at and how far up or down the nose is. If the trim is set with the nose way down, the plane will have to fly much faster to stay at a given altitude. If it is set with the nose way up, the plane won't fly very fast and the nose will be pointed way up. Once it is set however, then by increasing power the plane will climb, but airspeed will stay the same. Reducing power will make the plane descend, but the airspeed will stay the same (more or less). Lastly, the trim should be set the center or "TO" (takeoff) position before takeoff, or you might lose control. Hope this helps!

Trim will not effect speed unless you have set the trim to extreme measures, I'm not sure what you ahve been doing! the trim is set to an angle of attack that is most suitable for the current speed and required climb speed, decent speed or straight and level flight of the a/c your are currently flying.

Reducing/Increasing power will always make the plane decend or climb, but the speed of which is dependant of the a/c's current trim and/or flap setting as well as the thrust power.

Pro Member Trainee
crash_deplane Trainee

mattdean wrote:

Trim will not effect speed unless you have set the trim to extreme measures, I'm not sure what you ahve been doing!

Really? Trim doesn't affect (the word is affect, not effect) airspeed? Please enlighten us then. I guess my dad the private pilot and the lessons in FS were completely wrong then. But wait, didn't you just say:

mattdean wrote:

the speed of which is dependant of the a/c's current trim and/or flap setting as well as the thrust power.

I didn't say trim was the only thing affecting airspeed, but I believe the lessons did get across that the airspeed remains relatively constant for a given trim setting. If you want to reduce the airspeed and not have the plane fall out of the sky, obviously you will have to adjust trim and throttle. 🙂

Pro Member First Officer

For one it is hillarious that you are comparing your daddy 'pilot' to the flight simulator flying lessons. Yeah best of luck with that...

Yes, trim will not affect your airspeed if you are flying the plane correctly (consult your daddy pilot on this matter) The trim setting will depend on the aircraft type, aircraft weight and weather conditions.

I didn't say trim was the only thing affecting airspeed, but I believe the lessons did get across that the airspeed remains relatively constant for a given trim setting.

Quite right holmes! the airspeed will always remain relative to the current forces acting upon the aircraft be that, weather or the aircraft config.

If you want to reduce the airspeed and not have the plane fall out of the sky, obviously you will have to adjust trim and throttle

Well then, no s*** clearly the throttle must be adjusted to reduce airspeed. You really are the sharpest knife in the drawer. just for future reference though, the plane would not 'fall' out of the sky (unless maybe you were flying it) it becomes a glider, I suggest you research aircraft physics.

Pro Member First Officer

Anyway, the main point is you have the basics. As most people say, read a few tutorials etc.

Good Luck! 😀

Goose343 Guest

I didn't mean to hijack the thread. My problem on the trimming was / is that I understand how it works but it doesn't seem to work. For example a straight forward takeoff in the Cessna you should be able to trim the nose up so you don't need to keep pulling back on the joystick. I pressed the end key on the numeric pad three times.. let go of the stick nose drops. Pull back on the stick again, press End three times again, let go of the stick, nose drops again. I know it takes time for the trim to come into effect but it doesn't seem to be working. This is also for straight and level flight. Using the correct attitude and power settings as well.

mavermick Guest

For anyone completely new (as the original poster) I would suggest having a trail/gift lesson at a local airfield. Should be able to get 30 minutes for about £50 in a 150/152. You'd get to grips with the basic controls in this time, then home to the cheaper version!

mavermick Guest

There are some comments about a/c stability. Those of us used to cessnas and their beautiful low speeds chars are spoiled really. It is a training a/c. There are many, many aircraft out there who would like nothing more than to act like a brick.

Just think how a cessna 150/170 series likes to dip it's nose to maintain stable flight.

Pro Member Trainee
crash_deplane Trainee

mattdean wrote:

Well then, no s***

My, no need for language now, even with asterisks. Do you really feel the need to stoop to that level to get your point across?

mattdean wrote:

You really are the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Why thank you. 🙂

mattdean wrote:

just for future reference though, the plane would not 'fall' out of the sky (unless maybe you were flying it) it becomes a glider, I suggest you research aircraft physics.

Ah, you mean the relationships between lift, drag, gravity, thrust, and angle of attack which I've read about and experienced in FS and a real aircraft on many occasions? Sorry to disappoint, but they don't fall out of the sky or become gliders when I fly. Perhaps we just have slightly different understandings of trim and/or different ways of explaining it. My apologies to the original poster and to you, kind sir, I'll just go back to successfully flying and landing (and trimming) the virtual 747-400 (without relying on autopilot, I might add) and leave Mr. Mattdean, Flight Instructor Extraordinaire to continue bestowing us with his wisdom 😂 .

Pro Member Trainee
omgttfs Trainee

LOL, is this turning into a "I can fly my imaginary plane better than you!" thread?

Because if it is, you both suck. I can fly a 747 inverted for 30 seconds and not spill my beer......so there. My dads better than your dad.

Just a reminder. FS is not real.

Pro Member First Officer

Ah, you mean the relationships between lift, drag, gravity, thrust, and angle of attack which I've read about and experienced in FS and a real aircraft on many occasions? Sorry to disappoint, but they don't fall out of the sky or become gliders when I fly. Perhaps we just have slightly different understandings of trim and/or different ways of explaining it. My apologies to the original poster and to you, kind sir, I'll just go back to successfully flying and landing (and trimming) the virtual 747-400 (without relying on autopilot, I might add) and leave Mr. Mattdean, Flight Instructor Extraordinaire to continue bestowing us with his wisdom

Good luck with that. I'm not a flight instructor, but you was the one who originally had a dig at me and turned it into a 'I know more about aviation than you' match.

I hope you have fun flying the 747-400 (without autopilot of course, which you felt the need to state)

I wasn't talking about FS in the first place anyway, I was talking about general aircraft physics etc.

I'm not going to carry on posting in this thread as my point has now been made.

Thanks.

Pro Member Trainee
crash_deplane Trainee

I sincerely apologize to everyone, especially Matt for turning this into such a mess. Bad day I guess, and I let it get the better of me. The hatchet is buried, and I leave you all to your flying, virtual or real. Matt, I'm truly sorry if my correction (pet peeve, my bad) was taken as an insult. Embarassed Peace? <insert olive branch emoticon>

trainee99 Guest

Just to add my 2 penneth here - the way to use trim is to set an attitude, hold it, and then trim to cut out the control forces - in this case, trim to counter what you would normally need to hold off using a joystick. You will find as the speed stabilises that you need to click your trim button less and eventually you will be able to let go of the joystick and said a/c will fly perfectly straight and level without having to touch the joystick. To bring speed into this, what you will find is that is you then pull back on the throttle, the a/c will begin to descend, maintaining the speed it has been trimmed at. If you wish to decrease speed then clearly you have to pull the nose up, allow the a/c to stabilise at it's new speed and then re-trim. For a precision approach things happen differently - i.e. use pitch to control glidepath and throttle to control speed, but still you need to trim out once speed stabilises. I'm on here is to find out whether or not the airbus in fsx auto trims and includes some of the control laws that the real life thing has (clearly there are limitations to what FS will model, but an airbus feel would be useful). I've found FS invaluable so far up to ATPL level and I'm about to start type rating on the A320 - it'd be useful to know whether the FS model of the ..21 justifies buying it or if it flies just like a standard boeing but with new weights/speeds/appearance. Any comments would be welcome.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...