Install problem - could I possibly have 2 disk #1s?

swift607 Guest

I purchased FSX yesterday (standard version) and I can't get it to install. Everything goes fine until about the halfway point on the progress bar when I get asked to insert disk #2. I put in disk 2, and it starts to begin another installshield session and then gives me an error (1607). Meanwhile, the same dialog box comes up telling me I still need to insert disk #2. I've tried holding down the <shift> key while putting in disk 2, which prevents the second instance of installshield from opening up, but it still wont recognize that disk 2 is there. I've tried both my stand-alone DVD drive and the DVD-RW drive, neither of which have ever given me any trouble with any other software.

Funny thing is when I open up windows explorer with disk #2 in, it says I have "FSX Disk 1" in the drive. I tried putting disk 1 in one drive and disk 2 in the other, then opening up windows explorer, and it shows both drives as containing "FSX Disk 1".

Can someone check what your windows explorer calls your disk 2? I can't believe I have 2 bad DVD drives on a 6 month old computer.

Thanks for your help!

Answers 18 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Delete Nero or Roxio and it should load.
It also can be your burner, some can't read well enough.

Radar

Stonestreet Guest

I deleted nero and rexo yesterday... but still my computer doesn't recognize dvd2 Crying or Very sad

its painful because I also deleted deamon tools and turned off my firewall and my virus security... I have 1 DVD R and DVD RW... and it doesn't run on bogth. All works perfectly with DVD1 but not DVD2

swift607 Guest

I uninstalled Nero (did not have Roxie installed) and still no luck. Why does the installshield wizard fire up when I put in disk #2?

Frustrating...I've now wasted 3 hrs of my life on this, and still just have a $50 coaster. Guess I'll be on the phone with Microsoft tomorrow and spend a few more hours trying to get their software up and running.

Does everyone else's computers read both disk #1 and disk #2 as "FSX Disk 1" when you have them in one of your DVD drives? It seems to me that the DVD volume names should be "FSX Disk 1" and "FSX Disk 2", but maybe that's just me.

Thanks again for any help/advice.

Stonestreet Guest

I have the same problem with DVD 1 reading also DVD1 for DVD2.

3hrs isn't that bad... It's my 4th day today and the 12th hour trying to get fsx up and running. But to be honest, I'm about to give up and go back to fs9

i tried to copy the dvd content onto my hd and start the installation from there but my computer keeps on turning itself off.

thanks for any help

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

I don't think it'll help but try loading it in safe mode.

Radar

swift607 Guest

I exchanged the software, and the new one loaded without problems. Disk #2 was called "FSX Disk 2", which makes me think that the box I originally bought had the wrong files burned onto the second DVD. Anyway, I'm up and running now!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

swift607 wrote:

I exchanged the software, and the new one loaded without problems. Disk #2 was called "FSX Disk 2", which makes me think that the box I originally bought had the wrong files burned onto the second DVD. Anyway, I'm up and running now!

Amazing, but I guess it can happen.
Glad your OK now.

Radar

Cyberchief Guest

I had the same problem. Thanks for the advice. I'll return the disk box for the second time and wait until the next production batch.

I have tried everything its not my computer but the 2nd DvD does not recognize. I drove 40 miles twice now once to buy the game and 2nd time to exchange it, guess Im going to drive 40 miles back to get my money back. I have tried everything that everyone wrote in thier threads and nothing worked. So maybe the next issue will be better

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Just so you know Guest

Of people who bought flight simulator X standard, and instead of disk 1 and 2 they got disk 1 of standard and disk 1 of deluxe in the same box! My friend being an example!

So now you can exercise your LEGAL right to go to a bit-torrent download site, and download a copy of disk 2! You paid for it, you have a valid CD key, so its perfectly legal, even though the person who is distributing it may be doing it illegally.

Either that or you can dig up your receipt and hope that you can still return it for a new copy.

well well! looks like I have Disk 1 twice as well, even though disk 2 is labled Disk 2. on the drive it sais Disk 1. If I weren't so pissed I'd be laughing.

Pro Member Trainee
raven69david Trainee

I got the same thing as the OP. After i took it back and got a new one, i can now proceed past inserting the 2nd disc. It will go all the way to the end, but then it says that it could not complete the install.

To resolve the OP's issue, simply take it back and get a new one...it solved the problem for me. I highly suspect that MS had a packaging problem as i'm hearing a few complaints here & there about the same thing happening.

I found the problem with mine was the Prefetch that Windows XP uses that gives you the Disk swap problem and it appears as if you have 2 of the same disk. shut down prefetch and that clears the same disk problem. Or do what I did. Copy both disks to a spare directory on your hard drive and run the install from there. Worked good that way!

Guest Guest

How do you shut down the Prefetch in Windows XP?

FYI: I have the deluxe version, tried installing and have the same problem as mentioned in here, it wont recognize disk 2. after i put in disk 2 and click OK, the window pops up asking me to put in disk 2 again. after that, the whole disk drive is inoperable, cant open it automatically and have to manually eject it.

I've tried copying the disks, but when installing, it says that i dont have enough space on the drive, but i have 135GB of free space on the drive!!!

I've exchanged this once, got the same problem.

Called Microsoft, was on the phone for an hour, and the "professional" i talked to just gave me a refund number to call and get my money back!!! that made me mad.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!!!

Guest Guest

nvm, it worked the second time i tried it

I had the same problem on one of my systems, but on another the installation worked 100%.

On further investigation, I noticed that the volume labels of both Disc 1 & Disc 2 simply says "UDF Volume" on the non-working system, and "FSX Disc 1" and "FSX Disc 2" on the working system. Turns out the one of my PC's does not read UDF formatted discs correctly, although I can see the contents of the disc without any problems.

Solution: make Juliet images of both discs and burn them. Then do the installation with your new discs.

To make Juliet images, I used PowerISO. Under the Image Properties, I unchecked UDF and checked Juliet. Then I simply added the contents directly from the DVDs, entered the correct volume labels and saved the ISO images to my hard drive. Then burnt them using Nero.

MADMAX76 Guest

Guest wrote:

nvm, it worked the second time i tried it

MAN i had sam problem with all MICROSOFT games, Flight simulator X, FS 9 , Microsoft Combat simulator 2-3 , its all same Censored , I HAVE ENOUGH OF THIS MICROSOFT Censored , soon i am getting another software program dont know name of it , BUT ANYTHING IS BETTER THAN MICROSOFT !!!!!!!!!!

Censored by Radar

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...