FS9 Aircraft

Pro Member First Officer
Ryan Finn (pilotguy44) First Officer

I was trying to put one of my VA's ProjectOpenSky 737-800s on FSX. Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Microsoft promise us that all FS9 aircraft models, freeware and payware alike, would be backwards-compatible with FSX?

Anywho, since FSX has a default 737-800 with a pretty decent soundset and panel, I figured I'd just put the POSKY model in there and replace everything else with the default FSX 738 stuff (of course changing the aircraft.cfg display information). I thought I was in the clear, and that it had worked like a charm. The aircraft showed up in the game "Choose Aircraft" list and even appeared perfectly fine in the preview window.. I thought I had done it, piece of cake.

Then I start the game to see... nothing. I hear the sounds and see the lights.. but everything else, panel, plane, everything.. not there. What did I do wrong?

Also - did Microsoft make inter-changeable virtual cockpits this time around??? Because if you go to each aircraft's model folder, there are two models, one for the aircraft and the other for the aircraft interior. I thought that is what it may be.. so I copied the 738 interior model into the POSKY 738 model file and modified the model.cfg file, hoping to see Microsoft's beautifully modeled 737-800 VC in my POSKY 738 (still keeping the exterior POSKY model intact and active). Ugh.. sorry I know I leave a lot of questions in this post, but please someone clear this up for me! Thanks 😎

Answers 4 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

pilotguy44 wrote:

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Microsoft promise us that all FS9 aircraft models, freeware and payware alike, would be backwards-compatible with FSX?

Microsoft promising that all fs9 a/c would be compatible with FSX is a vicious rumour which you picked up only the gods know where.

Amongst many other issues there is a well documented one regarding gauges which you will become aware of once you venture away from the confines of the cosy Flyaway forums.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Jake (JarJarBinks) Chief Captain

Tailhook wrote:

Microsoft promising that all fs9 a/c would be compatible with FSX is a vicious rumour which you picked up only the gods know where.

um i read that also at the Microsoft site itself.....directly from microsoft.

Pro Member Chief Captain
Tailhook Chief Captain

JarJarBinks wrote:

Tailhook wrote:

um i read that also at the Microsoft site itself.....directly from microsoft.

Well, let me put it this way:

When you buy any Microsoft software, you have a look at the box and check out the minimum requirements. Do you believe what you read there? NO!!

For the same reason you don't believe when MS claims that:

... Microsoft promise us that all FS9 aircraft models, freeware and payware alike, would be backwards-compatible with FSX?

as observed by pilotguy44.

He had complained about a POSKY 738 not being compatible with FSX. WRONG!

My point was and is that if you want to know about POSKY aircraft, where do you go to ask? Microsoft? NO! POSKY? YES!

I have no idea why pilotguy44 saw it fit to change the aircraft.cfg, as someone who uploads his own textures to the libraries, I'm sure he has a good reason.

I, as a layman simply read the POSKY forums where it is stated very clearly that even their recent panels (prior to FSX) are not compatible with FSX.
Since there is a default 737 in FSX, then there's obviously a functioning panel with compatible gauges there as well.

Ergo, all that needs to be done is install the POSKY 737 into FSX and use the default panel. No messing with .cfg files. Copy / Paste is all that's required.

Pro Member First Officer
Charlie10 First Officer

Didn't Microsoft promise us DOS would always be supported!

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...