New-Resized Autogen Textures

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

New! Resized Autogen Textures

File Description:
This release includes resized textures for autogen buildings in FSX. Textures were resized from 1024x1024 to 512x512, cutting filesize from 683kb to 171kb each. All resized textures have mip-maps included and are in DDS format. Resized textures decrease loading time and increase framerate (FPS).

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/2825/fsx-resized-autogen-textures/

Note:

I haven't tried it yet, please be sure to back up your original folder before loading this.

Radar

Answers 23 Answers

Jump to latest
Pro Member Chief Captain
Chris102 Chief Captain

Just wanted to let everyone know that this "fix" really improves frame rates. I noticed a significant difference!

Thanks Radarman!

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Thanks Chris, I haven't loaded it (FSX) yet on my new machine.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Michaelvg1 First Officer

I have not done this yet. Does it decrease the quality with reduced resolution?

Pro Member Trainee
Bob Suchowierski (Bob-Ski) Trainee

❓ 🙄

Does it do anything to the overall look?

Bob 🍻

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain
Pro Member Trainee

Thank You

Bob 🍻

I used Ian Thatcher's resized texture autogen pack for the trees and that allowed me to go from unplayable on the lowest setting to a Normal setting with fluid frames with no appreciable loss of visual quality in the autogen. It will be interesting to see how much this tweak improves on that.

Pro Member First Officer
cheezyflier First Officer

how will this tweak be affected by sp1? should i wait to install or will it be included when they release it?

Pro Member Trainee

cheezyflier wrote:

how will this tweak be affected by sp1? should i wait to install or will it be included when they release it?

🍻

Every new file is FSX SP1 will overlay or make some change to it’s counter part. That’s why I’m going to hold off on doing anything until I see what people have to say about it. If I do install it I’ll make a backup of every file that I have changed. I keep a log and the .zip files of everything I do.

Bob Ski
🍻

Pro Member Trainee

Anonymous wrote:

I used Ian Thatcher's resized texture autogen pack for the trees and that allowed me to go from unplayable on the lowest setting to a Normal setting with fluid frames with no appreciable loss of visual quality in the autogen. It will be interesting to see how much this tweak improves on that.

🍻

Do you have a link to get to Ian Thatcher's resized texture autogen?

Bob Ski

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Bob-Ski wrote:

Anonymous wrote:

🍻

Do you have a link to get to Ian Thatcher's resized texture autogen?

Bob Ski

I guess he means this one.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downloads/files/1391/fsx-resized-reworded-autogen-textures/

Radar

Civili Guest

So, how does this work with SP1 then?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Civili wrote:

So, how does this work with SP1 then?

There shouldn't be a problem, just back up your default folder to be safe.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Michaelvg1 First Officer

RadarMan:
Does this really work with SP1? Will it effect visual quality?
Is it easy to install?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Michaelvg1 wrote:

RadarMan:
Does this really work with SP1? Will it effect visual quality?
Is it easy to install?

I haven't used it...I don't think. I did use some but can't remember now which or what.
I've added to many changes.
I can't see why it shouldn't work with SP1. Just back up your folder so you can revert to the default if you don't care for the trees.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Greg West (BashDaBish) First Officer

I have just compared the file sizes between the resized autogen textures and those in the FSX textures folder after SP1 installed.

Most of FSX's .DDS files (which is what the autogen texture replaces) are still 683KB after SP1. The resized autogen files are 170KB each.
Resized textures are 21.1MB in total size comapred to around 80MB for the existing autogen textures that these files replace.

Bearing in mind each autogen texture file will be used more than once to fill your screen, I can imagine some good FPS being saved.

I have backed up my files and will give it a whirl.

Pro Member First Officer
Michaelvg1 First Officer

Can you tell me which and where are the files that I must save before doing this tweak?
Thanks

Pro Member First Officer
Greg West (BashDaBish) First Officer

The readme that comes with the download explains exactly what you need to do. Have a read, it should be very straightforward. It recommends you backup your existing textures before you install.....again explains exactly what to do step by step.

Good luck.

I will say that I have not noticed any loss of visual quality....yet.

Pro Member Trainee
Rifro Trainee

it does work and does increase frame rate. I had about 20 fps now 26fps, so it does add on a bit. I actualy saw increased detail because I was able to ramp up the graphics a bit.

Pro Member First Officer
Orion (ollyau) First Officer

Will this work with SP2/Acceleration?

I think that SP2/Acceleration handles textures differently than SP1 and RTM.

Pro Member First Officer
Orion (ollyau) First Officer

ollyau wrote:

Will this work with SP2/Acceleration?

I think that SP2/Acceleration handles textures differently than SP1 and RTM.

Anyone?

Pro Member Chief Captain
RadarMan Chief Captain

Back up your texture folder and try it.
If it doesn't work you can always put the old folder back.

Radar

Pro Member First Officer
Duncan (Razgr1z912) First Officer

JL_G wrote:

fsxfs2004.blogspot.com

hhhahhajavascript:emoticon('😂')

Please make a separate thread for something like this, this is not at all relative to the topic.

Still does not answer your question? Ask a new question!

If the question and answers provided above do not answer your specific question - why not ask a new question of your own? Our community and flight simulator experts will provided a dedicated and unique answer to your flight sim question. And, you don't even need to register to post your question!

Ask New Question...

Search

Search our questions and answers...

Be sure to search for your question from existing posted questions before asking a new question as your question may already exist from another user. If you're sure your question is unique and hasn't been asked before, consider asking a new question.

Related Questions

Flight Sim Questions that are closely related to this...